Re-stringing a Bigsby took 17 minutes working at a leisurely pace...

Chad

• Members

Just re-strung my Schecter Corsair, which has a Bigsby B70 on it. This is the first time I've put new strings on that guitar.

After opening the new pack of strings, it took all of 17 minutes to put on all six strings, stretch, tune, and commence with rocking out. And I was working at a leisurely pace.

Who said Bigsbys are hard to re-string? I reckon it's all about technique. Main thing is to pre-curve the ball ends on the shaft of a screwdriver or something similar. Other than that, it's pretty much just like any other guitar. Easy peasy.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Just re-strung my Schecter Corsair, which has a Bigsby B70 on it. This is the first time I've put new strings on that guitar.

After opening the new pack of strings, it took all of 17 minutes to put on all six strings, stretch, tune, and commence with rocking out. And I was working at a leisurely pace.

Who said Bigsbys are hard to re-string? I reckon it's all about technique. Main thing is to pre-curve the ball ends on the shaft of a screwdriver or something similar. Other than that, it's pretty much just like any other guitar. Easy peasy.
Meh/ My old Gibson MIII Standard with a full on Floyd took about the same time to change out. That stuff is way over-demonized. Fools need to sack up and not be such pusses. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Meh/ My old Gibson MIII Standard with a full on Floyd took about the same time to change out. That stuff is way over-demonized. Fools need to sack up and not be such pusses. wink.gif

• Members

^Yep, my first guitar was a floating Floyd. Floyds never have bothered me at all.

I've heard people say things like "you can say goodbye to ever changing a broken string at a gig when playing a Bigsby." In my opinion, it's no bigger deal than any other guitar. If a person really wanted to be prepared they could pre-curve the ball ends on their backup string pack.

• Members

^Yep, my first guitar was a floating Floyd. Floyds never have bothered me at all.

I've heard people say things like "you can say goodbye to ever changing a broken string at a gig when playing a Bigsby." In my opinion, it's no bigger deal than any other guitar. If a person really wanted to be prepared they could pre-curve the ball ends on their backup string pack.

• Members

dang....17 minutes... lol.. that's reallllll leisurely! I find having locking tuners on my Bigsby equipped guitar helps things go along a little faster and a little easier since when I don't have locking tuners on a guitar I like to do the whole wrap the string the around and under the windings on the tuning peg thing and I can't see that being done with one hand... and thing I've learned is to put your High E string on BEFORE the B, just gives a little more space to work with and I have kinda fat fingers..

• Members

dang....17 minutes... lol.. that's reallllll leisurely! I find having locking tuners on my Bigsby equipped guitar helps things go along a little faster and a little easier since when I don't have locking tuners on a guitar I like to do the whole wrap the string the around and under the windings on the tuning peg thing and I can't see that being done with one hand... and thing I've learned is to put your High E string on BEFORE the B, just gives a little more space to work with and I have kinda fat fingers..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by D Carroll

View Post

pre curve, and use a capo. Easy.

A capo can indeed be handy, but most of the time I don't even mess with that. I'm able to just keep pressure on the string with my left hand.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Marc G View Post
This guitar has standard tuning posts. I always do one wrap over and 2 or 3 wraps under. Yeah, probably around 2 minutes per string, then a few minutes stretching and tuning.

I forgot to mention that I also do the high E before the B as well. That's a great tip because it indeed can get rather tight when only the high E remains.

• Members

yeah... I learned that high E before B trick after the 2nd time I put new strings on my guitar lol... I like to locking tuners because I pretty much put the string at a decent tension then lock it and by time it's made just over half a turn I'm in tune... just makes things really quick and easy

• Members

Got a B70 on an LP.By the time I'm done I wanna throw it in the trash.I curl the string ends and use a capo.I was gonna make something out of a cut up milk jug that held all 6 in place in slots and do em all at once.Put the ball ends in cutout slots.My Floyd is a little different.

Archived