David Gilmour's steel guitar setup?

Bad Robot

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a lap steel guitar, but I don't think I'll be playing any Hawaiian/Cowboy music on it. Anyone know what Gilmour's set up is when he uses one? Tuning, etc?

Thanks,

Naughty Cyborg
Gilmour no longer uses equipment, he plays straight into the cosmos, and your soul hears what he wants you to

• Members

Gilmour used a Fender 1000 double neck PEDAL steel guitar on Dark Side of the Moon, not a lap steel... He used some sort of open g tuning and didn't use the pedals for some reason... IMHO, you are cheating yourself if you get a lap steel, when for a bit more you can get a pedal steel .. Matter of fact they now make top quality USA built 6 string pedal steels made for guitarists that want to expand their "tonal pallete".. used Maybe $500.. look at ebay or do a search under Fessenden Six Shooter... bob

• Members

Ha Bob from Candor. Man I answered so many of your CL ads only to be ignored by you! ROFL. Shame I would have bought about half that garage and all the old silvertone stuff you were selling. I remember one specific one with the amp in case just to jog your memory. Try answering your ads once in awhile, you might sell something.

However this man is delusional, a pedal costs over 1000$ for a decent one, you can have a lap for about 100$ 200 if you want something vintage. Gilmore has a custom made LAP STEEL based on an old Fender now. A rogue for 80$ is a good start,

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
Ha Bob from Candor. Man I answered so many of your CL ads only to be ignored by you! ROFL. Shame I would have bought about half that garage and all the old silvertone stuff you were selling. I remember one specific one with the amp in case just to jog your memory. Try answering your ads once in awhile, you might sell something.

However this man is delusional, a pedal costs over 1000$ for a decent one, you can have a lap for about 100$ 200 if you want something vintage. Gilmore has a custom made LAP STEEL based on an old Fender now. A rogue for 80$ is a good start,
DSOTM was the double pedal.

he also has lap steels though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post

1810447-iron_man_a_bloo_bloo_bloo.jpg

And, like Doctor49 said, he used pedal steels, not lap steels. Go get the DVDs for PULSE and Delicate Sound of Thunder.

• Members

Bobs been a running joke for a few friends for a while. None of us Have been able to track him down to buy. I'm sure he makes enough money on his gear to ignore me.

Please show me modern Gilmore using a pedal on video. I'm a fairly avid Floyd fan and steel player. I'm pretty sure id notice but please show me wrong.

• Members

Yeah, for Gilmour-style slide playing, the pedal steel is really unnecessary. Combine it with a volume pedal if you'd like to cop some of that country-western vibe. Gilmour mainly used Open G and Open Em, and has used a wide variety of steel guitars.

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=69

Any cheap lap steel with a suitable pickup installed should do fine. With Gilmour, it's a matter of getting the phrasing right.

• Members

While I'm sure he may have substituted pedal steels early in the studio, for Pulse and later I've always seen him use console lap steels (consoles are lap steels with attachable legs) like the old Fender Champ and Deluxe models. There are plenty of double-neck consoles available as well (you can get a vintage Supro double lap steel for as little as $400).

• Members

Gilmour mainly played Jedson's back in the day. They were / are a copy of a Fender style steel that was mainly marketed in Europe.

Modern day, he plays a variety of different steels. Below are a couple vids of him using an old Gibson and one with a Rick Frypan with a Horseshoe.

• Members

Joke is on you nikolai... I sell everything I list, no issues... Can't say why you were never able to reach me, no one else has a problem... ever...

btw, You sir, have NO idea what you are talking about concerning steel guitars .The Fessenden 6 shooter is a nice well built in the USA 6 string pedal steel guitar, and they run cheap used.. The LAST thing you should be trying to talk to me about is pedal steel guitars.. I made my living with one for decades, and still play. You can get a LOT of pedal steel for under $1200 guys, this "nickolai" cat needs to lower the crack pipe... bob

Archived