Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a headphone amp?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Line 6 Pod II or the V Amp. Cheap used and loud enough to make you learn to turn the volume down. I own a POD II and the Pandora. For quick use on headphones, the POD wins. The Pandora lacks the volume level I like, but has some great tones. I used to use Korg G3s. They worked awesome with headphones. There are still some floating around.
    THE MAZI BEE MILITIA

    Comment


    • #17
      Line 6 Pod II or the V Amp. Cheap used and loud enough to make you learn to turn the volume down. I own a POD II and the Pandora. For quick use on headphones, the POD wins. The Pandora lacks the volume level I like, but has some great tones. I used to use Korg G3s. They worked awesome with headphones. There are still some floating around.
      THE MAZI BEE MILITIA

      Comment


      • #18
        I know it is more money - but thinking POD Express. Kind of marginal as a stomp box - but works really well as a headphone amp.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">__________________<br />
        <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~bkail/GUITAR_LIST.JPG" target="_blank"><b>To See My Current Gear List =&gt; Click Here</b></a><br />
        <br />
        <br />
        <font size="2"><b>GOOD DEALS WITH</b>: ae3753, Buckethead99, CBH5150, DCinDC, Dogfish, Drawdeep, Drivelikejoewho, Duderanimous, Jelloman, Marc758, Newbuilder, Orion23, PunkKitty, Scottd23, tomh777, Weather.at.8, Xupernaut, Zemmy</font><br />
        <br />
        <b>SPAM:</b> <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~bkail/HOHNER1.JPG" target="_blank"><b><font color="red">HOHNER TB1 - $225</font></b></a><br />
        <br />
        <b>MY MUSIC</b>:<br />
        <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?lklvbl537qm0q" target="_blank">My Music Sampler</a><br />
        <br />
        Originator of the &quot;<i><b>can I get free picks with that </b>&quot;</i> <font size="1">phrase TM 2011</font><br />
        <br />
        <div class="bbcode_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote">
        <div class="quote_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

        <div class="bbcode_postedby">
        <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>Bob411</strong>
        <a href="showthread.php?p=43854589#post43854589" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
        </div>
        <div class="message">Nice ass Mrs. Woody.</div>

        </div>
        </div>
        </div> </div>

        Comment


        • #19
          I know it is more money - but thinking POD Express. Kind of marginal as a stomp box - but works really well as a headphone amp.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">__________________<br />
          <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~bkail/GUITAR_LIST.JPG" target="_blank"><b>To See My Current Gear List =&gt; Click Here</b></a><br />
          <br />
          <br />
          <font size="2"><b>GOOD DEALS WITH</b>: ae3753, Buckethead99, CBH5150, DCinDC, Dogfish, Drawdeep, Drivelikejoewho, Duderanimous, Jelloman, Marc758, Newbuilder, Orion23, PunkKitty, Scottd23, tomh777, Weather.at.8, Xupernaut, Zemmy</font><br />
          <br />
          <b>SPAM:</b> <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~bkail/HOHNER1.JPG" target="_blank"><b><font color="red">HOHNER TB1 - $225</font></b></a><br />
          <br />
          <b>MY MUSIC</b>:<br />
          <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?lklvbl537qm0q" target="_blank">My Music Sampler</a><br />
          <br />
          Originator of the &quot;<i><b>can I get free picks with that </b>&quot;</i> <font size="1">phrase TM 2011</font><br />
          <br />
          <div class="bbcode_container">
          <div class="bbcode_quote">
          <div class="quote_container">
          <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

          <div class="bbcode_postedby">
          <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>Bob411</strong>
          <a href="showthread.php?p=43854589#post43854589" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
          </div>
          <div class="message">Nice ass Mrs. Woody.</div>

          </div>
          </div>
          </div> </div>

          Comment


          • #20






            Quote Originally Posted by Sheraton
            View Post

            Yep, cheap is one of my main criteria. Small and light is another. How's the battery life?



            I'm wondering if the Monoprice version is made in the same plant as the Vox for half the cost.




            The battery life on the Amplug is quite good. I can't give you an hour number, but the battery lasts a good long time. I don't know anything about the Monoprice ones.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

            Comment


            • #21






              Quote Originally Posted by Sheraton
              View Post

              Yep, cheap is one of my main criteria. Small and light is another. How's the battery life?



              I'm wondering if the Monoprice version is made in the same plant as the Vox for half the cost.




              The battery life on the Amplug is quite good. I can't give you an hour number, but the battery lasts a good long time. I don't know anything about the Monoprice ones.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

              Comment


              • #22
                I like the Vox Amplug also, and battery life is long...and I can't give you the number of hours either. I can get a lot of sounds out of my Pocket-Pod, but I can out of my Fender Mustang-Mini too, which I think is a helluva little amp for the money...and it has optional battery power too. Unplug the headphones, dial in some bass, and it will get way louder than you'd think ii would too!
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><font color="Blue">HC Geezer #263 <br />
                some of the gear: Am. Std. Strat HSS, CIJ Aerodyne Tele , MIM Standard Tele &amp; Strat, Squier 51<br />
                Blues Jr., 600, &amp; Cube 15, Bad Monkey &amp; other pedals,<br />
                harps &amp; mics</font></font></div>

                Comment


                • #23
                  I like the Vox Amplug also, and battery life is long...and I can't give you the number of hours either. I can get a lot of sounds out of my Pocket-Pod, but I can out of my Fender Mustang-Mini too, which I think is a helluva little amp for the money...and it has optional battery power too. Unplug the headphones, dial in some bass, and it will get way louder than you'd think ii would too!
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><font color="Blue">HC Geezer #263 <br />
                  some of the gear: Am. Std. Strat HSS, CIJ Aerodyne Tele , MIM Standard Tele &amp; Strat, Squier 51<br />
                  Blues Jr., 600, &amp; Cube 15, Bad Monkey &amp; other pedals,<br />
                  harps &amp; mics</font></font></div>

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The only other comment i would make having owned a number of small headphone type amps, is that a 100% dry sound (no reverb/chorus etc) makes for a super bland uninspiring practice with headphones (as are the amplugs).



                    I think you will get a lot more enjoyment using something that at least has some basic ambient effects and a little stereo chorus for a headphone setup.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Mesa Boogie MK III <br />
                    Marshall DSL 50<br />
                    JCA 20H<br />
                    ADA MP-1<br />
                    <br />
                    Kramer Stagemaster<br />
                    Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus<br />
                    Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony<br />
                    Fender HM Strat<br />
                    Paul Reed Smith SE Custom</font></div>

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The only other comment i would make having owned a number of small headphone type amps, is that a 100% dry sound (no reverb/chorus etc) makes for a super bland uninspiring practice with headphones (as are the amplugs).



                      I think you will get a lot more enjoyment using something that at least has some basic ambient effects and a little stereo chorus for a headphone setup.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Mesa Boogie MK III <br />
                      Marshall DSL 50<br />
                      JCA 20H<br />
                      ADA MP-1<br />
                      <br />
                      Kramer Stagemaster<br />
                      Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus<br />
                      Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony<br />
                      Fender HM Strat<br />
                      Paul Reed Smith SE Custom</font></div>

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        You can get the Fender Hello Kitty headphone amp for 6.99 shipped.



                        The best one I ever had was called the Arion Hot Watt.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)</div>

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          You can get the Fender Hello Kitty headphone amp for 6.99 shipped.



                          The best one I ever had was called the Arion Hot Watt.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)</div>

                          Comment


                          • #28






                            Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer
                            View Post

                            The only other comment i would make having owned a number of small headphone type amps, is that a 100% dry sound (no reverb/chorus etc) makes for a super bland uninspiring practice with headphones (as are the amplugs).



                            I think you will get a lot more enjoyment using something that at least has some basic ambient effects and a little stereo chorus for a headphone setup.




                            I can see your point. Interesting that the Vox Amplug Twin model has chorus.

                            Comment


                            • #29






                              Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer
                              View Post

                              The only other comment i would make having owned a number of small headphone type amps, is that a 100% dry sound (no reverb/chorus etc) makes for a super bland uninspiring practice with headphones (as are the amplugs).



                              I think you will get a lot more enjoyment using something that at least has some basic ambient effects and a little stereo chorus for a headphone setup.




                              I can see your point. Interesting that the Vox Amplug Twin model has chorus.

                              Comment


                              • #30






                                Quote Originally Posted by calclown
                                View Post

                                Might be too expensive for what you want, but these are small and light and FULL of features. Metronome, beats, tuner, plus all kinds of effects. Need a small patch cable or adapter to plug into the guitar then you're set. I don't use mine much, but mostly cause I hate headphones.

                                http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FaGPPAodDFAAhw





                                I have seen these as low as $79 new at GC...
                                This used to be a great place. Thanks, GCI, for killing it.<br><br>See y'all at Wein's.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X