Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a headphone amp?

I'm looking for an inexpensive headphone amp so I can practice without disturbing the family. The two I'm looking at are both $20 or less and are:

1. The Monoprice clone of a Vox amplug.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...08&cp_id=10860

2. The Bravo Audio Headplug ($20 on Amazon.com)

http://bravoaudio.com/headplug.html

The Monoprice amplug clone is available in Clean or two OD versions and has Volume, Tone and Gain controls but uses AAA batteries.

The Bravo has no controls but has a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery that charges with a usb cable.

Does anybody have any experience with these? Or any other comparably priced recommendations? I'm leaning toward the Bravo so I don't need to mess with batteries. What am I giving up in sound quality if anything?

Personally, i'd spend a few more $ and get one of these for $99

Mesa Boogie MK III
    Marshall DSL 50
    JCA 20H
    ADA MP-1

Kramer Stagemaster
    Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus
    Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony
    Fender HM Strat
    Paul Reed Smith SE Custom

Comment

Personally, i'd spend a few more $ and get one of these for $99

Mesa Boogie MK III
      Marshall DSL 50
      JCA 20H
      ADA MP-1

Kramer Stagemaster
      Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus
      Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony
      Fender HM Strat
      Paul Reed Smith SE Custom

Comment

I have an Amplug AC30 version, and I think it's great as a headphone amp. A pocket Pod might be better, but it's also more expensive.
        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

I have an Amplug AC30 version, and I think it's great as a headphone amp. A pocket Pod might be better, but it's also more expensive.
          Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kayd_mon
            View Post

Yep, cheap is one of my main criteria. Small and light is another. How's the battery life?

I'm wondering if the Monoprice version is made in the same plant as the Vox for half the cost.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kayd_mon
              View Post

Yep, cheap is one of my main criteria. Small and light is another. How's the battery life?

I'm wondering if the Monoprice version is made in the same plant as the Vox for half the cost.

Comment

I would try to find a used Fender Mustang 1 at GC or on Craigslist. I'd be willing to bet you could score one for $50. I bought one new for $100 and it sounds great with headphones. You can program a bunch of models, it has an aux port so you can play along to backing tracks, and you can do direct recording. The mini amps such as the Roland, Fender, or Vox are also light, inexpensive, and have much of the same functionality of the Mustang 1.
                Gear:
                Breedlove Atlas AD/20SR+
                Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard
                PRS SE Singlecut Trem
                Fender Mustang 1
                Bad Monkey

Comment

I would try to find a used Fender Mustang 1 at GC or on Craigslist. I'd be willing to bet you could score one for $50. I bought one new for $100 and it sounds great with headphones. You can program a bunch of models, it has an aux port so you can play along to backing tracks, and you can do direct recording. The mini amps such as the Roland, Fender, or Vox are also light, inexpensive, and have much of the same functionality of the Mustang 1.
                  Gear:
                  Breedlove Atlas AD/20SR+
                  Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard
                  PRS SE Singlecut Trem
                  Fender Mustang 1
                  Bad Monkey

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. For me the v-amp, pod or small amp (Fender Mustang I) and other similiar devices have the disadvantages of size and the necessity to plug in to a separate device as well as cost. Then you aren't mobile and have to manage the headphone cord as well as the guitar cord. I know you could go bluetooth on the headphones but how complex and expensive do you want to get?

I had an Amplitube iRig with the software on my iPhone which was pretty cool but still needed the phone, iRig, cord from the guitar to the iRig and from the iPhone to my headphones. Aaaaggghh. Too much cord spaghetti for me. Fun if you want to play with the interface to make tweaks to the sound. Me? I just want to play my guitar.

I love the simplicity of the device (Amplug, Monoprice clone, Bravo Headplug) plugged into the guitar and 1 cord to my headphones. Simple, mobile, cheap.

Any idea if the Monoprice clone is the same as the Vox Amplug for half the price? How is battery life? Any experience with the Bravo Audio Headplug? Any other small simple cheap suggestions?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. For me the v-amp, pod or small amp (Fender Mustang I) and other similiar devices have the disadvantages of size and the necessity to plug in to a separate device as well as cost. Then you aren't mobile and have to manage the headphone cord as well as the guitar cord. I know you could go bluetooth on the headphones but how complex and expensive do you want to get?

I had an Amplitube iRig with the software on my iPhone which was pretty cool but still needed the phone, iRig, cord from the guitar to the iRig and from the iPhone to my headphones. Aaaaggghh. Too much cord spaghetti for me. Fun if you want to play with the interface to make tweaks to the sound. Me? I just want to play my guitar.

I love the simplicity of the device (Amplug, Monoprice clone, Bravo Headplug) plugged into the guitar and 1 cord to my headphones. Simple, mobile, cheap.

Any idea if the Monoprice clone is the same as the Vox Amplug for half the price? How is battery life? Any experience with the Bravo Audio Headplug? Any other small simple cheap suggestions?

Comment

Might be too expensive for what you want, but these are small and light and FULL of features. Metronome, beats, tuner, plus all kinds of effects. Need a small patch cable or adapter to plug into the guitar then you're set. I don't use mine much, but mostly cause I hate headphones.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FaGPPAodDFAAhw

Comment

Might be too expensive for what you want, but these are small and light and FULL of features. Metronome, beats, tuner, plus all kinds of effects. Need a small patch cable or adapter to plug into the guitar then you're set. I don't use mine much, but mostly cause I hate headphones.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FaGPPAodDFAAhw

Comment

Line 6 Pod II or the V Amp. Cheap used and loud enough to make you learn to turn the volume down. I own a POD II and the Pandora. For quick use on headphones, the POD wins. The Pandora lacks the volume level I like, but has some great tones. I used to use Korg G3s. They worked awesome with headphones. There are still some floating around.
                            THE MAZI BEE MILITIA

Comment

Line 6 Pod II or the V Amp. Cheap used and loud enough to make you learn to turn the volume down. I own a POD II and the Pandora. For quick use on headphones, the POD wins. The Pandora lacks the volume level I like, but has some great tones. I used to use Korg G3s. They worked awesome with headphones. There are still some floating around.
                              THE MAZI BEE MILITIA

Comment

Working...
                              X