Let's talk hollowbodies with single coil pickups.

poolshark

• Members

I like the traditional mid-scooped nature of most Fender single coils, but I've always enjoyed the resonance and character of hollowbody guitars. Are there any hollows or semi-hollows out there that use traditional single coil pickups? Not looking for mid-heavy raunch generally associated with p90s - looking more for a big, resonant Telecaster neck pickup. Thoughts?

• Members
Eh, I'm kind of searching for bigger bodies. P90s would be fine, but I can't stand the nasally, caricature-ish honk that so many makers think they should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Folky_Grunge View Post
The Gibson ES-120T/Epiphone Grenada used a Fender-ish single coil.
Now this is interesting. smile.gif

• Members
These are, like, $2 a pop. They make a tele bridge version, a tele neck version, and strat versions, so you could go with a tele bridge, and whichever neck p/u you wanted.

51T7mQU7Y4L._SS400_.jpg

You could get a decent hollow/semi hollow fairly cheap (Ibanez offers numerous widths and thicknesses for reasonable prices, but there are many others), some pickups, these adaptors, and have exactly what you wanted at a decent price.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TheFigurehead View Post
These are, like, $2 a pop. They make a tele bridge version, a tele neck version, and strat versions, so you could go with a tele bridge, and whichever neck p/u you wanted.

51T7mQU7Y4L._SS400_.jpg

You could get a decent hollow/semi hollow fairly cheap (Ibanez offers numerous widths and thicknesses for reasonable prices, but there are many others), some pickups, these adaptors, and have exactly what you wanted at a decent price.

I'd love to hear that setup.

• Members

I've got a 64 ES-330TDC that has P-90,s on it.I bought it new and I love it.Nothing else I've ever had sounds like it.I rarely gigged with it because it"s' a true hollowbody,not blocked like an es-335.Gibson later changed em from 19 to 16 frets showing,so the necks would'nt seperate.If you can find one at a vintage place near you,try one.I've seen em in GC,s platinum room for about $3000 to 4000.

• Members

You know another option is something like an Epiphone with mini-HB's. I'm a single-coil guy myself, but my #1 is my LP Deluxe. The Epiphone style mini's are more like a fat Fender PU, scooped mids and great clarity, snap and definition. I know they have both made several limited Sheratons with mini's and offered Rivieras with them as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt

View Post

You know another option is something like an Epiphone with mini-HB's. I'm a single-coil guy myself, but my #1 is my LP Deluxe. The Epiphone style mini's are more like a fat Fender PU, scooped mids and great clarity, snap and definition. I know they have both made several limited Sheratons with mini's and offered Rivieras with them as well.

And there are new 62 Sheraton and Sorrento models (limited anniversary runs) with Gibson guts available now, too. Minis are a great alternative.

• Members

Thank you,man.really like the looks of the one on the wall,too.Nothing wrong with your vid,BTW.This computer's headed for the boneyard as soon
as FEDEX shows up with a new one.
poolshark......I'd been doing it for a living since the mid sixties,sitting in with the Fugs and the Mugwumps between Lenny Bruce sets.You can buy 2 guitars and not end up with the range this Eastwood,s got.
Mason,I got the vid to play around noon,listened to it twice and played til 8oclock.I quit cause my wife was yelling about food and diabetes.Mason,the vid,s great,your playing is better.Argyle II,s huh?thanks

Archived