Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk hollowbodies with single coil pickups.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk hollowbodies with single coil pickups.

I like the traditional mid-scooped nature of most Fender single coils, but I've always enjoyed the resonance and character of hollowbody guitars. Are there any hollows or semi-hollows out there that use traditional single coil pickups? Not looking for mid-heavy raunch generally associated with p90s - looking more for a big, resonant Telecaster neck pickup. Thoughts?
    I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Comment

The Gibson ES-120T/Epiphone Grenada used a Fender-ish single coil.
      Spam:
      Peavey Classic 30 - http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...3#post42751063

Comment

Eh, I'm kind of searching for bigger bodies. P90s would be fine, but I can't stand the nasally, caricature-ish honk that so many makers think they should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Folky_Grunge
        View Post

The Gibson ES-120T/Epiphone Grenada used a Fender-ish single coil.

Now this is interesting.
        I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

Comment

Well, there were plenty of Gretsch and Guild options with DeArmonds.

Comment

Option 2 is find any hollow body with humbuckers and slap in a set of ros

Comment

Anything with a Dynasonic ought to do it.

Or a low wind P90. Those don't have the big mids.

Something with mini humbuckers is pretty bright, too.
              We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

I can make P90 sized pickups that sound more like a Strat than a P90.

Just an option to think about.
                BG PUPs Hand Wound Pickups Boutique Tones For Just A Few Bones - Wait times are being minimized .DAB Custom GuitarsPaul Reed Smith GuitarsPettingill Lap steelsGibson GuitarsFender GuitarsEastman MandolinsMicheal Kelly MandolinsLine 6Blackheart AmplifiersHC Geezer Brigade #183My MusicMy YoutubesCatch me on Facebook

Comment

I put P-Rails in a semi-hollow. Can switch between humbucker, P-90 and single coil.
                  -^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-

Comment

These are, like, $2 a pop. They make a tele bridge version, a tele neck version, and strat versions, so you could go with a tele bridge, and whichever neck p/u you wanted.

You could get a decent hollow/semi hollow fairly cheap (Ibanez offers numerous widths and thicknesses for reasonable prices, but there are many others), some pickups, these adaptors, and have exactly what you wanted at a decent price.
                    **************** Harmony Central

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheFigurehead
                      View Post

These are, like, $2 a pop. They make a tele bridge version, a tele neck version, and strat versions, so you could go with a tele bridge, and whichever neck p/u you wanted.

You could get a decent hollow/semi hollow fairly cheap (Ibanez offers numerous widths and thicknesses for reasonable prices, but there are many others), some pickups, these adaptors, and have exactly what you wanted at a decent price.

I'd love to hear that setup.
                      We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

I've got a 64 ES-330TDC that has P-90,s on it.I bought it new and I love it.Nothing else I've ever had sounds like it.I rarely gigged with it because it"s' a true hollowbody,not blocked like an es-335.Gibson later changed em from 19 to 16 frets showing,so the necks would'nt seperate.If you can find one at a vintage place near you,try one.I've seen em in GC,s platinum room for about $3000 to 4000.

Comment

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj1q0d5wyqI

Comment

Love the looks of that,man.My computer won't play the vid.Is it an Eastwood?

Comment

Working...
                              X