X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
    View Post

If you're looking for true single coils, I'm really fond of Fender's Texas Specials...they're kinda hot, though.

I like these, too. They pair well with a JB Jr. in a Strat (I have this setup), so maybe they'll do well with a full-sized JB. I think that the JB can work in a Strat as long as you have a dedicated tone control for the pickup. The JB works much better with the tone rolled back halfway. That takes out some of the characteristics that people dislike the JB for. Also, they do a great job of driving amps, if you want that.
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Well, I've been looking all day and I think I'm going to go a Duncan Vintage Rail in the neck, a Duncan Little '59 in the middle and the SH-4 in the bridge. I appreciate all the feedback; I enjoyed researching all your suggestions.
      PRS Tremonti Signature in Charcoal Burst
      Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (Electric Lime)
      PRS SE One
      --
      EVH 5150 III 50w / 212 5150 III cab
      Blackstar HT-5

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 3volved
        View Post

Well, I've been looking all day and I think I'm going to go a Duncan Vintage Rail in the neck, a Duncan Little '59 in the middle and the SH-4 in the bridge. I appreciate all the feedback; I enjoyed researching all your suggestions.

Curious about the thinking behind a '59 in the middle. Seems like I most often see people thinking about a '59 in the bridge when they want a bit more "phat" from the bridge or in the neck when they want to get a PAF tone from a single coil rout, but the middle (?). Not saying I know that's wrong, it just seems a bit off the beaten track.
        A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
        HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
        Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
        I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 3volved
          View Post

Where are the single coils? It will probably sound good, just funny you went with buckers for each pickup.

Personally, I'd put the vintage rails in the middle and the 59 in the neck.
          One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

One thing I often do for "Pickup Suggestions" is look to what the manufacturers do. They've got all the resources to install, yank, install, yank, etc. until they find the mix that works for them. Like I might look at some Jackson HSS guitar specs for ideas if that's the tonal direction you're heading. If not, look at another HSS branded model.
            A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
            HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
            Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
            I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

I like my dimarzio pro track in the neck of my carvin in humbucker and split. I would just leave the middle pickup alone.
              proud member EPIPHONE EMPIRE
              --Epiphone Elitist les paul plain top with Kahler, Planet waves locking tuners.
              --Carvin ls175 kahler steeler dimarzio pro track, carvin ap11, tobe zone s
              --traynor ycv50 blue

Comment

I have Fender Fat 50s in my Strat. Love them. Nice warm sound on the neck and middle pickups.

Comment

Seems like the op is set on "noiseless" single coils. If not, then there are many great choices out there. For noiseless traditional strat sounds I'd also suggest Lawrence L-200's to be found at:

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_NF_Singles.html

Comment

If you want lower output noiseless pickups that sound amazing check out the Dimarzio Fast Track 1. Also the Area pickups are great if you don't like the rail style.

Comment

So, after watching countless youtube videos, I've come to the conclusion that the low output/vintage stuff isn't really my thing. That said, I just placed an order for some GFS Lil Killer rails (6K & 10K) and a Crunchy Rail. For $80, you really can't beat what you get from GFS. Anyway, I'm super excited to get to work on my first project guitar and really think this combo will sound sweet through my 5150 III. Thanks again everyone for your input!
                      PRS Tremonti Signature in Charcoal Burst
                      Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (Electric Lime)
                      PRS SE One
                      --
                      EVH 5150 III 50w / 212 5150 III cab
                      Blackstar HT-5

Comment

Working...
                      X