X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a humbucker guy some single-coils

I dug out my very first guitar the other day, an HSS Samick, and thought I'd make her playable again with some upgrades. I have a Duncan SH-4 ready to go in the bridge, what do you guys recommend for neck and middle pickups? I'm looking for something smooth and low/medium output I can use for my worship group.

PRS Tremonti Signature in Charcoal Burst
    Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (Electric Lime)
    PRS SE One
    --
    EVH 5150 III 50w / 212 5150 III cab
    Blackstar HT-5

Cool rails or a lil '59 type of thingy?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 3volved
      View Post

...what do you guys recommend for neck and middle pickups? I'm looking for something smooth and low/medium output I can use for my worship group.

You can probably get by with the current middle and neck single coils by simply lowering them down until they sound right for your application.

Comment

If you're looking for true single coils, I'm really fond of Fender's Texas Specials...they're kinda hot, though.

Comment

I'm going to sound like a hater here but a JB in a strat, IMO, is a mistake. They have way tooo much upper midrange/treble response in a strat. Just my 2 cents.

There are so many good single coils out there these days its just a matter of getting some decent ones. This is a great page with clips. http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Picku...Clips-W60.aspx
          One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

I like my Fender CS '69 or '54 pickups.
            Guitars:G&L Tribute ASAT Classic BluesboyFender 50th Anniversary Strat, Classic 50s Telecaster, and others.Pedals:Pitchblack>EP Booster>Classic 108 Fuzz> SD-1>OCD>Keeley Rat>Hoof>DLS MKiii>Small Stone>TR-2>Flashback>Spring TheoryAmp:Peavey Delta Blues

Comment

Vintage Rails all the way. The bridge model in the neck and middle mates up wonderfully with the output of a bridge HB.
              **************** detuning, I'm gonna start using a capo when I play my speed metal. WHEEDLY WHEEDLY WHEEEE!!!

Comment

Just a quick thought...Vintage Rails kicks ass! As do Hot Rails AND the lil '59.

Anddddd...I'm probably high again or missing something, but I'm kinda thinking that they're HUMBUCKERS!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly
                  View Post

I'm going to sound like a hater here but a JB in a strat, IMO, is a mistake. They have way tooo much upper midrange/treble response in a strat. Just my 2 cents.

There are so many good single coils out there these days its just a matter of getting some decent ones. This is a great page with clips. http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Picku...Clips-W60.aspx

Interesting point on the Duncan...maybe a GFS Dream 90 as an alternative? I'll have to give that some thought.
                  PRS SE One
                  --
                  Blackstar HT-5

Comment

Just put a set of rose pickups "belle's" in my strat - and they are very, very stratty. Super nice, clear sounding pickup.

Will post some clips soon, maybe tomorrow.
                    --
                    Wagdog
                    Check out Lunar Commander on:
                    iTunes App Store
                    Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                    iTunes App Store
                    Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                    - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

What kind of music and what type of amp?

Comment

What do you guys think of the GFS noise cancelling single coil pickups? Since this is my first rebuild, I've realized I don't want to put anything too 'high-end' in it and the GFS stuff seems pretty decent for the price. I was thinking the 5.5k noise cancelling single coil for the neck, the 6k for the middle and their Classic II humbucker (8.2k) for the bridge. Thoughts?

This is primarily going to be for my worship group, so very mellow and won't need to cut through the mix. I have my PRS and Les Paul to take care of the stuff I like to play.
                        PRS SE One
                        --
                        Blackstar HT-5

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
                          View Post

If you're looking for true single coils, I'm really fond of Fender's Texas Specials...they're kinda hot, though.

That's what I was going to recommend too. They're not really that hot though, especially compared to a JB, but they are higher output for strat p'ups and therefore might mesh well with the SH-4.

But yeah, that's what I'd do. It would give the guitar some fairly cool versatility. Be nice if you could coil split that JB too.
                          A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                          HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                          Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                          I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

If you can afford it, put in three Wylde L-45s. Low output. Dead quiet. Will make any sound you want, depending on your tone control and amp.

Comment

P-90
                              “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                              -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Working...
                              X