fan of fanned frets

fretless

• Members

Yes , though not all that common they really are fantastic . I wonder why you don't see them on more instruments . It took me forever to actually play one but it was instant love.
Ma Dingwall does it right but I'd love to see a Fanned strat cool.gif

Dingwall20ABI20420st20Blue20Metallic.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dparr View Post
The bending of notes is what I don't like about fan fret guitars.

You have to push the strings farther when you're bending upwards.
I have not experienced that , I'll give it some bends this weekend but I would think that is a small trade off , the other being chord positions are a little tight way up high , no biggie though .

• Members

There are several challenges to designing and building fanned fret instruments. Nothing monumentally difficult, but still it's not as simple as the typical fretboard slotting operation and thus requiring more labor unless you're CNC'ed. I'm going through the preliminary design process on a fanned fret bass myself, and trying to do so without having to make yet another custom case. There is also the issue of the patent that Ralph Novak holds and the costs that may entail to license, but not sure what the current status is on that.

The other "problem" is acceptance, although bass players tend to be more open minded when it comes to the non-traditional. Couple that with the additional effort and expense of producing them, and you're going to find that the big companies are hesitant to jump into production.

Fanned fret Strats are out there, and Novax sells the necks.

Scoop-nex-006.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Weiner_Bomb

View Post

is that what they call 'multi-scale'?

ah ok after a quick look around you are correct , it means a multiple scale fretboard and infact my Dingwall is one , it has a 37" E and an 34" G string .

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MahaloVision View Post
To add to the discussion, here are a couple Fleishman basses with multiscale necks. The one on the left is fretless, and yes the same principle applies.

344_scroll_basses_copy.jpg
Those are sweet . I see there is endless ways to interpret the amount of fan , Dingwall has his way and others are doing their thing . Dingwall has it nailed down though no question .

Archived