Anyone try the Orange Micro Terror?

profgalen

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by profgalen View Post
Priced like a pedal at $150 ( MF 15% coupon = $122.50 )
I have yet to try one, but this was the first thing I thought when I saw the price of those last month. I have no idea how I've resisted purchasing one.

Does it sound sufficiently valve-y?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by profgalen View Post
Priced like a pedal at $150 ( MF 15% coupon = $122.50 )
I have yet to try one, but this was the first thing I thought when I saw the price of those last month. I have no idea how I've resisted purchasing one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post

Yes it does! Has one preamp tube in it. I played one not long ago. Cool little amp! Great sound for being so small. And it can get LOUD.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post

Yes it does! Has one preamp tube in it. I played one not long ago. Cool little amp! Great sound for being so small. And it can get LOUD.

• Members

I bought 3 of them last July. 1 for my stepson's graduation (Masters), 1 for my son for this Christmas, and of course, 1 for me biggrin.gif

My stepson already had an extension cab and we both played through it (same time/together) out through a Peavey Bandit closed back extension cab. Very good sounding cab and it sounded great through it. Much bigger, louder and deeper than you would expect. We did an outdoor jam at his graduation party and it was loud enough for his control freak gf to ask us to "turn it down" Hate it when someone kills a Swing Blade back yard hootenanny. About enough for me to get my Doyle on mad.gif

th?id=H.4735112087078864&pid=15.1

icon_lol.gif

For my son I also bought him 2 of the matching Orange 1 x 8 cabs. They also sound quite good. The speaker quality and enclosures produce pretty nice tone. He'd been bugging me for my Marshall MG15MSZW stack (I told him "that ain't happening") so I got him this instead. And it's more quality (though voiced differently and with less frills) than the Marshall Micro, also has more power/volume.

We also played it through my Vox Night Train cab with a single Greenback, that worked well. Now thru my Marshall MC412, it didn't fare quite as well. Also the back of the amp says "at least 4 ohm output" and I'd say STAY ABOVE THAT. The 4x12's 4ohm input almost sucked the life out of that amp. With the 16 ohm input, it performed fine but didn't have quite enough bass output to push that cab.

All in all, it sounded the best through the Peavey closed back extension cab, makes for a great Micro stack with the CR8s and worked very well with the NT ext cab as well.

But anyway, I haven't played with the one I have yet, I had been keeping it in hiding so my son wouldn't see mine before I gave him his, but from playing with these amps on those two days, I'd definitely recommend them. I'd say they are hard to beat for the money. Plus they are such monsters for their incredibly diminutive size. biggrin.gif

Both the boys (both about 30 yo) are also enjoying them.

So thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members

I bought 3 of them last July. 1 for my stepson's graduation (Masters), 1 for my son for this Christmas, and of course, 1 for me biggrin.gif

My stepson already had an extension cab and we both played through it (same time/together) out through a Peavey Bandit closed back extension cab. Very good sounding cab and it sounded great through it. Much bigger, louder and deeper than you would expect. We did an outdoor jam at his graduation party and it was loud enough for his control freak gf to ask us to "turn it down" Hate it when someone kills a Swing Blade back yard hootenanny. About enough for me to get my Doyle on mad.gif

th?id=H.4735112087078864&pid=15.1

icon_lol.gif

For my son I also bought him 2 of the matching Orange 1 x 8 cabs. They also sound quite good. The speaker quality and enclosures produce pretty nice tone. He'd been bugging me for my Marshall MG15MSZW stack (I told him "that ain't happening") so I got him this instead. And it's more quality (though voiced differently and with less frills) than the Marshall Micro, also has more power/volume.

We also played it through my Vox Night Train cab with a single Greenback, that worked well. Now thru my Marshall MC412, it didn't fare quite as well. Also the back of the amp says "at least 4 ohm output" and I'd say STAY ABOVE THAT. The 4x12's 4ohm input almost sucked the life out of that amp. With the 16 ohm input, it performed fine but didn't have quite enough bass output to push that cab.

All in all, it sounded the best through the Peavey closed back extension cab, makes for a great Micro stack with the CR8s and worked very well with the NT ext cab as well.

But anyway, I haven't played with the one I have yet, I had been keeping it in hiding so my son wouldn't see mine before I gave him his, but from playing with these amps on those two days, I'd definitely recommend them. I'd say they are hard to beat for the money. Plus they are such monsters for their incredibly diminutive size. biggrin.gif

Both the boys (both about 30 yo) are also enjoying them.

So thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat View Post
How is the clean headroom on these little suckers? Or is most of the 20watts on tap all distorted?
Seemed to be pretty good. No, it's definitely not one of those that distorts from the get go. I'll try to find where mine is hiding (did too good of a job of hiding it from the kid) and plug it in tonight to add a bit more to my review on this.

Quote Originally Posted by myhero34 View Post
I currently use a cheap kustom 12 gauge solid state amp. Could I use its speakers as a cabinet for the micro terror and sound somewhat nicer? Would it be worth it?
If you have a plug-in on the back for the amp to speaker, I'd say why not give it a try. Remember to use a speaker cable, my son was about ready to grab some instrument cables on Christmas day to try it out before I stopped him. No doubt that would have brought about the Mayan Apocalypse.

• Members
How is the clean headroom on these little suckers? Or is most of the 20watts on tap all distorted?
Seemed to be pretty good. No, it's definitely not one of those that distorts from the get go. I'll try to find where mine is hiding (did too good of a job of hiding it from the kid) and plug it in tonight to add a bit more to my review on this.

Quote Originally Posted by myhero34 View Post
I currently use a cheap kustom 12 gauge solid state amp. Could I use its speakers as a cabinet for the micro terror and sound somewhat nicer? Would it be worth it?
If you have a plug-in on the back for the amp to speaker, I'd say why not give it a try. Remember to use a speaker cable, my son was about ready to grab some instrument cables on Christmas day to try it out before I stopped him. No doubt that would have brought about the Mayan Apocalypse.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
Sweet thanks!
I am currently using a Fender Champion 600 through a 2x12 and it's doing the trick for the gigs I am doing but I am making 2-3 trips just to get everything inside.
I was thinking if the Micro Terror can give me the same clean volume I could somehow incorporate it into my pedal board and get it all in with one trip.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
Sweet thanks!
I am currently using a Fender Champion 600 through a 2x12 and it's doing the trick for the gigs I am doing but I am making 2-3 trips just to get everything inside.
I was thinking if the Micro Terror can give me the same clean volume I could somehow incorporate it into my pedal board and get it all in with one trip.

• Members
Well, I broke mine out tonight to jog the memory.

It's clean with the gain up to about 9:30 (O'clock) and the volume max'd. However, the overall volume is fairly limited at that point.

At about 10:00, the volume is fine/sufficient for home practice, but it's starting to get gritty by then. Think "John Lee Hooker" tone.

From there it get progressively more distorted, but in a nice linear sort of way. So I'd say the clean headroom is somewhat limited, but not too bad. The cab will also make a difference (depending upon efficiency). But I do think that if you're concerned about it being distorted from the get go, don't be. But do expect that it will get gritty before it gets loud.

I hope that helped a bit.

wave.gif

• Members
Well, I broke mine out tonight to jog the memory.

It's clean with the gain up to about 9:30 (O'clock) and the volume max'd. However, the overall volume is fairly limited at that point.

At about 10:00, the volume is fine/sufficient for home practice, but it's starting to get gritty by then. Think "John Lee Hooker" tone.

From there it get progressively more distorted, but in a nice linear sort of way. So I'd say the clean headroom is somewhat limited, but not too bad. The cab will also make a difference (depending upon efficiency). But I do think that if you're concerned about it being distorted from the get go, don't be. But do expect that it will get gritty before it gets loud.

I hope that helped a bit.

wave.gif

Archived