Anyone try the Orange Micro Terror?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat
    View Post

How is the clean headroom on these little suckers? Or is most of the 20watts on tap all distorted?

Seemed to be pretty good. No, it's definitely not one of those that distorts from the get go. I'll try to find where mine is hiding (did too good of a job of hiding it from the kid) and plug it in tonight to add a bit more to my review on this.

Quote Originally Posted by myhero34
    View Post

I currently use a cheap kustom 12 gauge solid state amp. Could I use its speakers as a cabinet for the micro terror and sound somewhat nicer? Would it be worth it?

If you have a plug-in on the back for the amp to speaker, I'd say why not give it a try. Remember to use a speaker cable, my son was about ready to grab some instrument cables on Christmas day to try it out before I stopped him. No doubt that would have brought about the Mayan Apocalypse.
    A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
    HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
    Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
    I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

View Post

How is the clean headroom on these little suckers? Or is most of the 20watts on tap all distorted?

Seemed to be pretty good. No, it's definitely not one of those that distorts from the get go. I'll try to find where mine is hiding (did too good of a job of hiding it from the kid) and plug it in tonight to add a bit more to my review on this.

Quote Originally Posted by myhero34
      View Post

I currently use a cheap kustom 12 gauge solid state amp. Could I use its speakers as a cabinet for the micro terror and sound somewhat nicer? Would it be worth it?

If you have a plug-in on the back for the amp to speaker, I'd say why not give it a try. Remember to use a speaker cable, my son was about ready to grab some instrument cables on Christmas day to try it out before I stopped him. No doubt that would have brought about the Mayan Apocalypse.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man
        View Post

Sweet thanks!

I am currently using a Fender Champion 600 through a 2x12 and it's doing the trick for the gigs I am doing but I am making 2-3 trips just to get everything inside.

I was thinking if the Micro Terror can give me the same clean volume I could somehow incorporate it into my pedal board and get it all in with one trip.
        Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Comment

View Post

Sweet thanks!

I am currently using a Fender Champion 600 through a 2x12 and it's doing the trick for the gigs I am doing but I am making 2-3 trips just to get everything inside.

I was thinking if the Micro Terror can give me the same clean volume I could somehow incorporate it into my pedal board and get it all in with one trip.

Comment

Sounds great on the clips at utube and I couldn't resist the 15% off a MF. I have a 1x12 cab loaded with a Splawn SB25 I'm not using. I think it should sound good with it.
            GOOD People to deal with : PunkKitty, LostGoonie,Cratz2,Albala, Ball&Chain,

Comment

Sounds great on the clips at utube and I couldn't resist the 15% off a MF. I have a 1x12 cab loaded with a Splawn SB25 I'm not using. I think it should sound good with it.
              GOOD People to deal with : PunkKitty, LostGoonie,Cratz2,Albala, Ball&Chain,

Comment

No doubt that would have brought about the Mayan Apocalypse

Don't want that to happen.

Comment

No doubt that would have brought about the Mayan Apocalypse

Don't want that to happen.

Comment

View Post

Well, I broke mine out tonight to jog the memory.

It's clean with the gain up to about 9:30 (O'clock) and the volume max'd. However, the overall volume is fairly limited at that point.

At about 100, the volume is fine/sufficient for home practice, but it's starting to get gritty by then. Think "John Lee Hooker" tone.

From there it get progressively more distorted, but in a nice linear sort of way. So I'd say the clean headroom is somewhat limited, but not too bad. The cab will also make a difference (depending upon efficiency). But I do think that if you're concerned about it being distorted from the get go, don't be. But do expect that it will get gritty before it gets loud.

I hope that helped a bit.

Comment

View Post

It's clean with the gain up to about 9:30 (O'clock) and the volume max'd. However, the overall volume is fairly limited at that point.

At about 100, the volume is fine/sufficient for home practice, but it's starting to get gritty by then. Think "John Lee Hooker" tone.

From there it get progressively more distorted, but in a nice linear sort of way. So I'd say the clean headroom is somewhat limited, but not too bad. The cab will also make a difference (depending upon efficiency). But I do think that if you're concerned about it being distorted from the get go, don't be. But do expect that it will get gritty before it gets loud.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by profgalen
                        View Post

1 valve (12AX7). 20W.

I tried one at GC through a 2X12. I was impressed.

I A/B with a Tiny Terror. In the ballpark.

Priced like a pedal at $150 ( MF 15% coupon = $122.50 )

Orange rhymes with door hinge.

Just FYI, Humbuckermusic.com is the orange amps authority for best price. They are the #1 dealer of orange amps and the micro is only $119 there, no coupon game needed. For example, tiny terror is $419, whereas others are $599. Things come back in stock very soon there as well.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/orange-terror-amp.html

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by profgalen
                          View Post

1 valve (12AX7). 20W.

I tried one at GC through a 2X12. I was impressed.

I A/B with a Tiny Terror. In the ballpark.

Priced like a pedal at $150 ( MF 15% coupon = $122.50 )

Orange rhymes with door hinge.

Just FYI, Humbuckermusic.com is the orange amps authority for best price. They are the #1 dealer of orange amps and the micro is only $119 there, no coupon game needed. For example, tiny terror is $419, whereas others are $599. Things come back in stock very soon there as well.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/orange-terror-amp.html

Comment

^^ No no, forget what I was saying up there.

I was forgetting just how interactive all the controls are on Orange amps.

Drop the volume (from dimed), and then you can increase the gain and now I'm getting a bigger clean headroom.

Each of the controls, volume and gain, contribute towards the OD tone, they are very interactive.

Get one, try it out. I also have an Orange Crush Pix CR35LDX and it is also VERY interactive. Even the EQ controls will affect that amp's gain.

I started the demo out as I mention above. But then I dropped the volume to about 20 and cranked the gain to about 120 and it's still a clean full tone with more clean headroom than I had before.

Get one, you'll enjoy it. Doesn't hurt the wallet much and has minimal impact on your home's footprint. I mean, these things are no wider than from the end of your wrist (start of your hand) to the tip of your index finger. A bloody David of amps they are.

Comment

^^ No no, forget what I was saying up there.

I was forgetting just how interactive all the controls are on Orange amps.

Drop the volume (from dimed), and then you can increase the gain and now I'm getting a bigger clean headroom.

Each of the controls, volume and gain, contribute towards the OD tone, they are very interactive.

Get one, try it out. I also have an Orange Crush Pix CR35LDX and it is also VERY interactive. Even the EQ controls will affect that amp's gain.

I started the demo out as I mention above. But then I dropped the volume to about 20 and cranked the gain to about 120 and it's still a clean full tone with more clean headroom than I had before.

Get one, you'll enjoy it. Doesn't hurt the wallet much and has minimal impact on your home's footprint. I mean, these things are no wider than from the end of your wrist (start of your hand) to the tip of your index finger. A bloody David of amps they are.

Comment

View Post

Awesome! Thanks man!

For the price I may as well just grab one as check it out for myself. If all else fails I have been looking for something I can plug headphones into anyway.

Plus they are so darn cute!

Comment

Working...
                                X