X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try the Orange Micro Terror?

1 valve (12AX7). 20W.

I tried one at GC through a 2X12. I was impressed.

I A/B with a Tiny Terror. In the ballpark.

Priced like a pedal at $150 ( MF 15% coupon = $122.50 )

Orange rhymes with door hinge.

Quote Originally Posted by profgalen
    View Post

I have yet to try one, but this was the first thing I thought when I saw the price of those last month. I have no idea how I've resisted purchasing one.

Does it sound sufficiently valve-y?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by profgalen
      View Post

I have yet to try one, but this was the first thing I thought when I saw the price of those last month. I have no idea how I've resisted purchasing one.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
        View Post

Yes it does! Has one preamp tube in it. I played one not long ago. Cool little amp! Great sound for being so small. And it can get LOUD.
        Guitars: Harmony H45, Epiphone Dot Deluxe, Fender Mustang, Gibson MM Special, Gibson B25, Teisco Mayqueen
        Amps: Vox AC4, Vox AC15, Harmony H205, Silvertone 1430, Gibson G10

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
          View Post

Yes it does! Has one preamp tube in it. I played one not long ago. Cool little amp! Great sound for being so small. And it can get LOUD.
          Guitars: Harmony H45, Epiphone Dot Deluxe, Fender Mustang, Gibson MM Special, Gibson B25, Teisco Mayqueen
          Amps: Vox AC4, Vox AC15, Harmony H205, Silvertone 1430, Gibson G10

Comment

Haven't tried one, but damn that'd be a great bedroom / studio amp!
            Please take a moment to check out my podcast, Two Average Dicks. Thank you.

Comment

Haven't tried one, but damn that'd be a great bedroom / studio amp!
              Please take a moment to check out my podcast, Two Average Dicks. Thank you.

Comment

I bought 3 of them last July. 1 for my stepson's graduation (Masters), 1 for my son for this Christmas, and of course, 1 for me

My stepson already had an extension cab and we both played through it (same time/together) out through a Peavey Bandit closed back extension cab. Very good sounding cab and it sounded great through it. Much bigger, louder and deeper than you would expect. We did an outdoor jam at his graduation party and it was loud enough for his control freak gf to ask us to "turn it down" Hate it when someone kills a Swing Blade back yard hootenanny. About enough for me to get my Doyle on

For my son I also bought him 2 of the matching Orange 1 x 8 cabs. They also sound quite good. The speaker quality and enclosures produce pretty nice tone. He'd been bugging me for my Marshall MG15MSZW stack (I told him "that ain't happening") so I got him this instead. And it's more quality (though voiced differently and with less frills) than the Marshall Micro, also has more power/volume.

We also played it through my Vox Night Train cab with a single Greenback, that worked well. Now thru my Marshall MC412, it didn't fare quite as well. Also the back of the amp says "at least 4 ohm output" and I'd say STAY ABOVE THAT. The 4x12's 4ohm input almost sucked the life out of that amp. With the 16 ohm input, it performed fine but didn't have quite enough bass output to push that cab.

All in all, it sounded the best through the Peavey closed back extension cab, makes for a great Micro stack with the CR8s and worked very well with the NT ext cab as well.

But anyway, I haven't played with the one I have yet, I had been keeping it in hiding so my son wouldn't see mine before I gave him his, but from playing with these amps on those two days, I'd definitely recommend them. I'd say they are hard to beat for the money. Plus they are such monsters for their incredibly diminutive size.

Both the boys (both about 30 yo) are also enjoying them.

So
                A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

I bought 3 of them last July. 1 for my stepson's graduation (Masters), 1 for my son for this Christmas, and of course, 1 for me

My stepson already had an extension cab and we both played through it (same time/together) out through a Peavey Bandit closed back extension cab. Very good sounding cab and it sounded great through it. Much bigger, louder and deeper than you would expect. We did an outdoor jam at his graduation party and it was loud enough for his control freak gf to ask us to "turn it down" Hate it when someone kills a Swing Blade back yard hootenanny. About enough for me to get my Doyle on

For my son I also bought him 2 of the matching Orange 1 x 8 cabs. They also sound quite good. The speaker quality and enclosures produce pretty nice tone. He'd been bugging me for my Marshall MG15MSZW stack (I told him "that ain't happening") so I got him this instead. And it's more quality (though voiced differently and with less frills) than the Marshall Micro, also has more power/volume.

We also played it through my Vox Night Train cab with a single Greenback, that worked well. Now thru my Marshall MC412, it didn't fare quite as well. Also the back of the amp says "at least 4 ohm output" and I'd say STAY ABOVE THAT. The 4x12's 4ohm input almost sucked the life out of that amp. With the 16 ohm input, it performed fine but didn't have quite enough bass output to push that cab.

All in all, it sounded the best through the Peavey closed back extension cab, makes for a great Micro stack with the CR8s and worked very well with the NT ext cab as well.

But anyway, I haven't played with the one I have yet, I had been keeping it in hiding so my son wouldn't see mine before I gave him his, but from playing with these amps on those two days, I'd definitely recommend them. I'd say they are hard to beat for the money. Plus they are such monsters for their incredibly diminutive size.

Both the boys (both about 30 yo) are also enjoying them.

So
                  A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                  HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                  Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                  I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Nice review, GASman...at the price, it would really have to suck to not be worth it.

Comment

Nice review, GASman...at the price, it would really have to suck to not be worth it.

Comment

How is the clean headroom on these little suckers? Or is most of the 20watts on tap all distorted?
                        Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Comment

How is the clean headroom on these little suckers? Or is most of the 20watts on tap all distorted?
                          Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Comment

I currently use a cheap kustom 12 gauge solid state amp. Could I use its speakers as a cabinet for the micro terror and sound somewhat nicer? Would it be worth it?

Comment

I currently use a cheap kustom 12 gauge solid state amp. Could I use its speakers as a cabinet for the micro terror and sound somewhat nicer? Would it be worth it?

Comment

Working...
                              X