Project: $100 Yamaha AES-820

XelderX

• Members

So I bought this hacked up Yamaha AES-820 for $100. It had a long list of problems including a spray painted body, shoddy electonics, and no-name pick-ups installed. I wish I had a picture of it when I brought it home. It was poorly spray painted this hideous red/brown color. A friend has been working on the body/neck and something really cool came out. I told him if he had to to sand it all the way down to bare wood. Luckily he stopped short of that and this is what we got.

IMAG0019.jpg
IMAG0021.jpg

I am in love with this thing now. It's got bare wood, black filler, white sealer, gray primer, metallic blue, and metallic red all coming through. It's been gone over with a buffer which makes it look like it's been clear coated.

We are building a set of custom P94 pick-ups for it right now. The next big step is to knock some shine off of all the chrome hardware. As soon as we get the pick-up covers we will be doing that. Hopefully, sometime next week.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

suscribed!

For those who don't know, the 820 is a top end Yamaha and it sure didn't come with shoddy electronics nor did it have no name pups. Whoever butchered this guitar probably "stole" all the components and put it somewhere else and put the crappy stuff in this one after making it ugly as f***.

Thank god he didn't dump the specially designed Sperzel tuners (you should post a pic of those here to show them. They're cool!)

You're on to something great! thumb.gif

• Members

suscribed!

For those who don't know, the 820 is a top end Yamaha and it sure didn't come with shoddy electronics nor did it have no name pups. Whoever butchered this guitar probably "stole" all the components and put it somewhere else and put the crappy stuff in this one after making it ugly as f***.

Thank god he didn't dump the specially designed Sperzel tuners (you should post a pic of those here to show them. They're cool!)

You're on to something great! thumb.gif

• Members

$100?? I would love a project like that. I would not leave it as it is but would take the time to pretty it up. Some elbow grease, a can of sealer, 2-3 cans of Duplicolor acrylic lacquer (or Reranch nitro if you prefer) , and 2 cans of Minwax clear lacquer and you've got a sweet looking guitar

• Members

$100?? I would love a project like that. I would not leave it as it is but would take the time to pretty it up. Some elbow grease, a can of sealer, 2-3 cans of Duplicolor acrylic lacquer (or Reranch nitro if you prefer) , and 2 cans of Minwax clear lacquer and you've got a sweet looking guitar

• Members

I agree that most guitars warrant a nicer paint job. With this guitar though, it's got so much personality that I don't want to cover up what makes it special. She has had a rough life and covering that up seems disingenuous. Besides, no one could ever duplicate what I have now. I can't wait until the pickups are done.

• Members

I agree that most guitars warrant a nicer paint job. With this guitar though, it's got so much personality that I don't want to cover up what makes it special. She has had a rough life and covering that up seems disingenuous. Besides, no one could ever duplicate what I have now. I can't wait until the pickups are done.

• Members

those are absolutely great guitars and I like the way the finish is turning out

you have a very nice piece of well sculpted wood with frets already installed in all the right places - you'll be able to build something amazing and unique with that

• Members

those are absolutely great guitars and I like the way the finish is turning out

you have a very nice piece of well sculpted wood with frets already installed in all the right places - you'll be able to build something amazing and unique with that

Archived