SOT: Favorite Albums of 2012?

Special J

• Members

All in all, I think it was a really good year for new music. I actually had a tough time of narrowing down a best-of list this year, and there are still a bunch of releases that I haven't even had a chance to purchase/listen to.

What were your favorite albums of 2012?

My top 12 of '12:

1. First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

2. Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory

3. Kimbra - Vows

4. The Whigs - Enjoy The Company

5. Baroness - Yellow and Green

6. The Shins - Port of Morrow

7. Japandroids - Celebration Rock

8. Muse - The 2nd Law

9. Dinosaur Jr. - I Bet On Sky

10. Two Gallants - The Bloom and the Blight

11. Grizzly Bear - Shields

12. Father John Misty - Fear Fun

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal Rhythm

View Post

Through A Crooked Sun by Rich Robinson.

Simply put, it is one fantastic album.

I think technically, this one was released in 2011. But I agree with you: fantastic album.

My votes would be:

Mumford & Sons - Babel

The Cult - Choice of Weapon

I wish I had liked the new albums from Rush and Smashing Pumpkins more, but alas.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal Rhythm

View Post

Through A Crooked Sun by Rich Robinson.

Simply put, it is one fantastic album.

I think technically, this one was released in 2011. But I agree with you: fantastic album.

My votes would be:

Mumford & Sons - Babel

The Cult - Choice of Weapon

I wish I had liked the new albums from Rush and Smashing Pumpkins more, but alas.

• Members

My favorite album of the year is Steve Vai's "The Story of Light." Loved it on first listen, still love it.

Joe Bonamassa's "Live at the Beacon" is amazing and on the list, but while I'm a huge fan of his, I didn't really care for his last studio album, Driving Towards The Daylight. There's one really outstanding track ("Heavenly Soul") but the rest of the album didn't do it for me.

Rush's "Clockwork Angels"

Joe Walsh's "Analog Man"

I bought a ton of CDs this year, probably more than I've even bought in any single year, but the vast majority was used. I was going to a permanent flea market every weekend with my kid after his gym class, and I'd browse the used CD & vinyl dealers. Found some really great stuff fairly cheap.

• Members

My favorite album of the year is Steve Vai's "The Story of Light." Loved it on first listen, still love it.

Joe Bonamassa's "Live at the Beacon" is amazing and on the list, but while I'm a huge fan of his, I didn't really care for his last studio album, Driving Towards The Daylight. There's one really outstanding track ("Heavenly Soul") but the rest of the album didn't do it for me.

Rush's "Clockwork Angels"

Joe Walsh's "Analog Man"

I bought a ton of CDs this year, probably more than I've even bought in any single year, but the vast majority was used. I was going to a permanent flea market every weekend with my kid after his gym class, and I'd browse the used CD & vinyl dealers. Found some really great stuff fairly cheap.

Archived