Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOT: Favorite Albums of 2012?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Field Music: Plumb

    Chuck Prophet and The Mission Express: Temple Beautiful

    Rufus Wainwright - Out of The Game

    Db's: Falling Off The Sky



    it was released in September, 2011, but I probably listened to this more than anything:



    Jonathan Wilson: Gentle Spirit



    ... amazing record with brilliant songs, production, singing, and guitar playing. A record that stands with the best California-sensimilla rock you remember from your yout -- like Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere, GP, Notorious Byrd Brothers, Gene Clark's solo lp's. Impeccable stuff.

    Comment


    • #47
      Field Music: Plumb

      Chuck Prophet and The Mission Express: Temple Beautiful

      Rufus Wainwright - Out of The Game

      Db's: Falling Off The Sky



      it was released in September, 2011, but I probably listened to this more than anything:



      Jonathan Wilson: Gentle Spirit



      ... amazing record with brilliant songs, production, singing, and guitar playing. A record that stands with the best California-sensimilla rock you remember from your yout -- like Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere, GP, Notorious Byrd Brothers, Gene Clark's solo lp's. Impeccable stuff.

      Comment


      • #48
        Van Halen and Rush are the main ones from this year. Not anywhere near as "current" with music as I used to be.
        Guitars Canada - Guitar Forum for Canadians

        Comment


        • #49
          Van Halen and Rush are the main ones from this year. Not anywhere near as "current" with music as I used to be.
          Guitars Canada - Guitar Forum for Canadians

          Comment


          • #50






            Quote Originally Posted by Special J
            View Post

            That was me last year. I was going back and listening back to a lot of the bands I ignored in the 90's/early 00's. Gotta say that the new Wallflowers, Soundgarden, and Dinosaur Jr. are all great albums from "90's" bands this year. I haven't checked out the Green Day albums yet.



            I'm surprised you've heard of Two Gallants. They've been around a little while now, but they're pretty obscure. They played here last week in a small all-ages club. I definitely recommend checking out Japandroids. Great, straight up rock songs.




            Cool, thanks for the tips! If you dig The Wallflowers, you may like Arliss Nancy. I've heard them referred to as a "punk rock Wallflowers" and it kind of fits -- in a good way.



            As for Two Gallants, maybe I haven't heard of them but the name just sounds somewhat familiar. Not sure why... Also, one of my favorite artists, Dave Hause recommends Japandroids as well for a 2012 pick, so I'll have to check them out. I think I'll have to take a trip to the record store today.
            Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

            Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

            Comment


            • #51






              Quote Originally Posted by Special J
              View Post

              That was me last year. I was going back and listening back to a lot of the bands I ignored in the 90's/early 00's. Gotta say that the new Wallflowers, Soundgarden, and Dinosaur Jr. are all great albums from "90's" bands this year. I haven't checked out the Green Day albums yet.



              I'm surprised you've heard of Two Gallants. They've been around a little while now, but they're pretty obscure. They played here last week in a small all-ages club. I definitely recommend checking out Japandroids. Great, straight up rock songs.




              Cool, thanks for the tips! If you dig The Wallflowers, you may like Arliss Nancy. I've heard them referred to as a "punk rock Wallflowers" and it kind of fits -- in a good way.



              As for Two Gallants, maybe I haven't heard of them but the name just sounds somewhat familiar. Not sure why... Also, one of my favorite artists, Dave Hause recommends Japandroids as well for a 2012 pick, so I'll have to check them out. I think I'll have to take a trip to the record store today.
              Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

              Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

              Comment


              • #52
                Something that is not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it:



                Andy Osenga - Leonard the Lonely Astronaut
                My Gear

                Les Paul Studio Deluxe
                Gretsch G3140
                Ibanez AM93
                Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI
                Line 6 HD500
                Alvarez Yairi DY40
                Fender American Special P bass

                Comment


                • #53
                  Something that is not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it:



                  Andy Osenga - Leonard the Lonely Astronaut
                  My Gear

                  Les Paul Studio Deluxe
                  Gretsch G3140
                  Ibanez AM93
                  Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI
                  Line 6 HD500
                  Alvarez Yairi DY40
                  Fender American Special P bass

                  Comment


                  • #54






                    Quote Originally Posted by valued customer
                    View Post

                    Db's: Falling Off The Sky




                    That record's probably my favorite of the year and the biggest surprise. The title song is one of the best things I've heard in a long time. Best comeback of the year (of the last 5 years)...
                    What lasts is what you start with - C Bukowski

                    Comment


                    • #55






                      Quote Originally Posted by valued customer
                      View Post

                      Db's: Falling Off The Sky




                      That record's probably my favorite of the year and the biggest surprise. The title song is one of the best things I've heard in a long time. Best comeback of the year (of the last 5 years)...
                      What lasts is what you start with - C Bukowski

                      Comment


                      • #56






                        Quote Originally Posted by Special J
                        View Post

                        I definitely recommend checking out Japandroids. Great, straight up rock songs.




                        Thanks for the recommendation, these guys are stellar!
                        Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

                        Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

                        Comment


                        • #57






                          Quote Originally Posted by Special J
                          View Post

                          I definitely recommend checking out Japandroids. Great, straight up rock songs.




                          Thanks for the recommendation, these guys are stellar!
                          Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

                          Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

                          Comment


                          • #58






                            Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son
                            View Post

                            Thanks for the recommendation, these guys are stellar!




                            Glad you dig! I'll definitely check out Arliss Nancy. Sounds interesting.

                            Comment


                            • #59






                              Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son
                              View Post

                              Thanks for the recommendation, these guys are stellar!




                              Glad you dig! I'll definitely check out Arliss Nancy. Sounds interesting.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Katatonia: Dead End Kings

                                Snail: Terminus
                                ................The REAL Brah


                                Good trades/deals with: Fusion1, SOLARPIMP, Lonnie99, twotimingpete, Tupelo Sun, moon shadow, Florbastang, shooter 123, Wolfboy1, almost enough, meowy, ntmo, lovellintn, fulcrumpoint, matt rhoades, kojdogg, cadfael, Daveydude, DaveAronow, Smithshred

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X