les paul G-string goes sharp on lower frets.

Gizzyboo

• Members

Hey guys i got this annoying problem with my guitar. When i play A, F, D or E on the lower basic position, the chord sounds like crap. C and G sound fine because i'm pressing on the g-string. I filed the nut down a little and does not make a difference. On the upper frets, all chords sound good. i notice on the 2nd fret on the g-string, i can almost go up a full step by just pressing down hard on the string. What can be the problem? Replace the nut?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Does it have tall frets? Perhaps you are just pressing too hard when playing lower position chords. Tall frets require some technique adaptation.
I play low, wide frets and I still fall back on old habits and press too hard making something go sharp. And a sharp G string sounds painful!eek.gificon_lol.gif
SRS if it's only doing it on yer G string it could be a nut slot not deep enough. You always want yer nuts real deepicon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Does it have tall frets? Perhaps you are just pressing too hard when playing lower position chords. Tall frets require some technique adaptation.
I play low, wide frets and I still fall back on old habits and press too hard making something go sharp. And a sharp G string sounds painful!eek.gificon_lol.gif
SRS if it's only doing it on yer G string it could be a nut slot not deep enough. You always want yer nuts real deepicon_lol.gif

• Members

sounds like a nut issue. the angle of the string gets worse the closer you get to the nut... so the you're pulling on the string to fret it.

Try this...

1. look at the strings above the first fret without fretting anything....

2. then fret the strings on the first fret and look at the second fret... that distance should be identical to #1. If #1 is a lot higher than #2, then you're nut is the issue.

3. if you dont have the tools or experience filing a nut, take it to a tech. Its a $20 job.

• Members

sounds like a nut issue. the angle of the string gets worse the closer you get to the nut... so the you're pulling on the string to fret it.

Try this...

1. look at the strings above the first fret without fretting anything....

2. then fret the strings on the first fret and look at the second fret... that distance should be identical to #1. If #1 is a lot higher than #2, then you're nut is the issue.

3. if you dont have the tools or experience filing a nut, take it to a tech. Its a $20 job.

• Members

I agree with the pressing too hard comments. Just press hard enough for the strings to contact the frets. Any harder, and you'll pull them sharp. You pretty much answered your own question " i can almost go up a full step by just pressing down hard on the string."

• Members

I agree with the pressing too hard comments. Just press hard enough for the strings to contact the frets. Any harder, and you'll pull them sharp. You pretty much answered your own question " i can almost go up a full step by just pressing down hard on the string."

• Members

It may be a nut issue as already suggested - it should only require a light touch and move a very small amount before contacting the first 2 frets.

If you're going sharp by pressing too hard then might also be worth going up a string gauge to reduce excess pitch change through finger pressure.

• Members

It may be a nut issue as already suggested - it should only require a light touch and move a very small amount before contacting the first 2 frets.

If you're going sharp by pressing too hard then might also be worth going up a string gauge to reduce excess pitch change through finger pressure.

Archived