Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamming with others ?

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16






    Quote Originally Posted by thecornman
    View Post

    Well said!




    You mean well said other than all the idiotic auto spell corrections my phone made that make absolutely no sense, but thanks.

    "You people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.



    TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this


    Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

    http://www.ghsstrings.com

    http://www.rocktron.com

    http://www.monsterenergy.com/

    Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

    Comment


    • #17






      Quote Originally Posted by thecornman
      View Post

      Well said!




      You mean well said other than all the idiotic auto spell corrections my phone made that make absolutely no sense, but thanks.

      "You people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.



      TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this


      Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

      http://www.ghsstrings.com

      http://www.rocktron.com

      http://www.monsterenergy.com/

      Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

      Comment


      • #18
        Good Jam partners will expose you to new music, styles, and throw you out of your comfort zone.



        Bad jam situations, where you end up with egotists that have zero tolerance for fault (whoop, billy was one nanosecond off on that 9th chord on the first go through, YOU SUCK) will send you backwards in progression.



        So, by all means, find people to jam with every now and then. Just make sure it's a good fit.

        Comment


        • #19
          Good Jam partners will expose you to new music, styles, and throw you out of your comfort zone.



          Bad jam situations, where you end up with egotists that have zero tolerance for fault (whoop, billy was one nanosecond off on that 9th chord on the first go through, YOU SUCK) will send you backwards in progression.



          So, by all means, find people to jam with every now and then. Just make sure it's a good fit.

          Comment


          • #20
            I own a business, have a 2 year old, and the wife is expecting twins. Still, I manage to get in a couple of hours playing nightly when everyone has gone to bed. But the most fun is getting together with a couple of other guys to jam once a month. The 3 of us have been doing this for about 5 or 6 years now. We've never gigged, and most likely never will, but all enjoy playing together immensely. We think of ourselves lucky.

            Comment


            • #21
              I own a business, have a 2 year old, and the wife is expecting twins. Still, I manage to get in a couple of hours playing nightly when everyone has gone to bed. But the most fun is getting together with a couple of other guys to jam once a month. The 3 of us have been doing this for about 5 or 6 years now. We've never gigged, and most likely never will, but all enjoy playing together immensely. We think of ourselves lucky.

              Comment


              • #22
                I pretty much learned to play be jamming with others and then practicing what I saw.

                Still enjoy jamming but egos can be a problem.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I pretty much learned to play be jamming with others and then practicing what I saw.

                  Still enjoy jamming but egos can be a problem.

                  Comment


                  • #24






                    Quote Originally Posted by Special J
                    View Post

                    For me, it's all about playing with others. If I didn't have a busy home life and career, I'd be in a bunch of bands. I love the experience of connecting and creating with other people. As it is, I can barely squeeze in the time for one band and some recording projects. I find my own songs really improve with a writing partner, too.



                    Some people are happy just buying gear, playing over backing tracks, and talking about it on forums, I guess. To me, this is weird though, even as a hobbyist, it's like only going halfway. It's like buying a bunch of great skiing gear and only ever going down the bunny hill. It's like building a monster hot rod, and never taking it out of the garage.




                    Some great points here and things i wonder about as well! Just like the people that chase tone by buying new stuff. What is the point if they don't use their ear anyways?

                    Comment


                    • #25






                      Quote Originally Posted by Special J
                      View Post

                      For me, it's all about playing with others. If I didn't have a busy home life and career, I'd be in a bunch of bands. I love the experience of connecting and creating with other people. As it is, I can barely squeeze in the time for one band and some recording projects. I find my own songs really improve with a writing partner, too.



                      Some people are happy just buying gear, playing over backing tracks, and talking about it on forums, I guess. To me, this is weird though, even as a hobbyist, it's like only going halfway. It's like buying a bunch of great skiing gear and only ever going down the bunny hill. It's like building a monster hot rod, and never taking it out of the garage.




                      Some great points here and things i wonder about as well! Just like the people that chase tone by buying new stuff. What is the point if they don't use their ear anyways?

                      Comment


                      • #26






                        Quote Originally Posted by chipwich
                        View Post

                        I own a business, have a 2 year old, and the wife is expecting twins. Still, I manage to get in a couple of hours playing nightly when everyone has gone to bed. But the most fun is getting together with a couple of other guys to jam once a month. The 3 of us have been doing this for about 5 or 6 years now. We've never gigged, and most likely never will, but all enjoy playing together immensely. We think of ourselves lucky.




                        Sounds like a great place to be for sure!

                        Comment


                        • #27






                          Quote Originally Posted by chipwich
                          View Post

                          I own a business, have a 2 year old, and the wife is expecting twins. Still, I manage to get in a couple of hours playing nightly when everyone has gone to bed. But the most fun is getting together with a couple of other guys to jam once a month. The 3 of us have been doing this for about 5 or 6 years now. We've never gigged, and most likely never will, but all enjoy playing together immensely. We think of ourselves lucky.




                          Sounds like a great place to be for sure!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            It's about playing live, for the crowd, not playing with the other musicians who are typically shuffling stumbling drug addled mumble****************s.
                            http://sites.google.com/site/bizflyer/

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              It's about playing live, for the crowd, not playing with the other musicians who are typically shuffling stumbling drug addled mumble****************s.
                              http://sites.google.com/site/bizflyer/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I agree with everything Dave said. I remember even being in the Junior High School band and thinking 'It's so great to be a part of making this wonderful sound.' In fact today if I could find a big-band situation I'd love it.



                                I will say though, that I don't really like 'jamming', or at least what jamming usually ends up being with random people that just want to play.

                                Comment













                                Working...
                                X