Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you play half step down notes change,, how do you play half step down?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why you buy a second guitar. I keep one of my Les Pauls tuned to E flat--several of the songs that our band plays are intended for that tuning setup. I can always slap a capo on the 1st fret for standard tuning, but with big frets, the strings will sound sharp. That's where having a second guitar comes in handy.

By the way, the Spider Capo lets you adjust the downward force on each string individually, so you can retain accurate intonation when using a capo.

Comment

That's why you buy a second guitar. I keep one of my Les Pauls tuned to E flat--several of the songs that our band plays are intended for that tuning setup. I can always slap a capo on the 1st fret for standard tuning, but with big frets, the strings will sound sharp. That's where having a second guitar comes in handy.

By the way, the Spider Capo lets you adjust the downward force on each string individually, so you can retain accurate intonation when using a capo.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker
        View Post

E A D G B E becomes Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb... simple as that

Capo first fret.
        “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
        -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker
          View Post

E A D G B E becomes Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb... simple as that

Capo first fret.
          “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
          -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Whether tuning up or down, using a capo, or changing keys with whatever method, it's a matter of transposing for a different key. I play in a praise and worship context and it's exciting when you learn a complicated rhythm or lead part that relies on open strings, then somebody changes the key at the last minute rendering the time expended on getting the part into muscle memory.....useless. But adapting to those situations is all part of growing as a guitar player. But to allow musicians to do their best, IMO it should be left only for emergency situations (example: last minute vocalist change with a different singing range or something similar).

Comment

Whether tuning up or down, using a capo, or changing keys with whatever method, it's a matter of transposing for a different key. I play in a praise and worship context and it's exciting when you learn a complicated rhythm or lead part that relies on open strings, then somebody changes the key at the last minute rendering the time expended on getting the part into muscle memory.....useless. But adapting to those situations is all part of growing as a guitar player. But to allow musicians to do their best, IMO it should be left only for emergency situations (example: last minute vocalist change with a different singing range or something similar).

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by privatejoe
                View Post

but if you change tuning... How do you play with other people? It's half step flatten.

either have them tune down a 1/2 step or simply play one fret higher than the standard tuned players.
                tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                -For Sale:
                -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

View Post

but if you change tuning... How do you play with other people? It's half step flatten.

either have them tune down a 1/2 step or simply play one fret higher than the standard tuned players.
                  tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                  www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                  -For Sale:
                  -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                  -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                  - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                  - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                  - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

View Post

play one fret higher

i had booked a guitarist fill in for me for a couple of weeks so he brought his guitar to one of our gigs - he was a big hendrix fan and always tuned his guitar 1/2 step down - if the song was in A he would simply play it in Bb on his guitar and there were no issues at all - once you learn the instrument it's easy to play in any key

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

View Post

play one fret higher

i had booked a guitarist fill in for me for a couple of weeks so he brought his guitar to one of our gigs - he was a big hendrix fan and always tuned his guitar 1/2 step down - if the song was in A he would simply play it in Bb on his guitar and there were no issues at all - once you learn the instrument it's easy to play in any key

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

Oh yeah just play everything one fret higher the same way. Takes a bit to get used to if you've been playing songs alot in standard. But you adjust quick.
                        "The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought"
                        Sir Thomas Beecham

Comment

Oh yeah just play everything one fret higher the same way. Takes a bit to get used to if you've been playing songs alot in standard. But you adjust quick.
                          "The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought"
                          Sir Thomas Beecham

Comment

I mean isn't it confusing the fact whole fretboard changes when you play down tuning?

You can just think a half step higher. Instead of a tune being in E, you play it in F. Instead of a B, play a C. My wife tends to capo a lot when we do acoustic duo types of things so I have to transpose a lot. Half step, up a minor third, up a fourth... they're not that different it just takes some practice.

But adapting to those situations is all part of growing as a guitar player. But to allow musicians to do their best, IMO it should be left only for emergency situations (example: last minute vocalist change with a different singing range or something similar).

Yeah, totally agree. It's great to be able to do it, but practice and preparation is always preferred.

I have one guitar tuned down 1/2 step for convenience and variety. It's fun to play things in E on that guitar, because the voicings sound a little different.
                            Multiple award winning blues/rock/country at http://www.zeyerband.com or http://www.reverbnation.com/zeyer.Check my solo (instrumental rock) projects at: http://www.reverbnation.com/vincedickinson"Music is like the English language - it's just full of rules that need to be broken or you aren't hip.""It doesn't take talent to upgrade your playing. It takes patience" - Kenny Werner

Comment

I mean isn't it confusing the fact whole fretboard changes when you play down tuning?

You can just think a half step higher. Instead of a tune being in E, you play it in F. Instead of a B, play a C. My wife tends to capo a lot when we do acoustic duo types of things so I have to transpose a lot. Half step, up a minor third, up a fourth... they're not that different it just takes some practice.

But adapting to those situations is all part of growing as a guitar player. But to allow musicians to do their best, IMO it should be left only for emergency situations (example: last minute vocalist change with a different singing range or something similar).

Yeah, totally agree. It's great to be able to do it, but practice and preparation is always preferred.

I have one guitar tuned down 1/2 step for convenience and variety. It's fun to play things in E on that guitar, because the voicings sound a little different.
                              Multiple award winning blues/rock/country at http://www.zeyerband.com or http://www.reverbnation.com/zeyer.Check my solo (instrumental rock) projects at: http://www.reverbnation.com/vincedickinson"Music is like the English language - it's just full of rules that need to be broken or you aren't hip.""It doesn't take talent to upgrade your playing. It takes patience" - Kenny Werner

Comment

"once you learn the instrument it's easy to play in any key"

So..........you have to learn ****************?

Comment

Working...
                                X