Any SG love?

thom

• Members

I know there's plenty of SG junks here actually. Probably won't be of any help resisting this baby:

11SgStandard_zps32be5874.jpg

It's a 2011 Standard in red cherry. Anyone know if it's just the pic, or if the regular standards comes/came in a darker shade of red, more like the Angus Youn signature model?

The price is damn hard to say no to, but I SO can't afford another guitar I don't really needfrown.gif

Don't have a single geetar with humbuckies though, and that's sort of a pain sometimesfrown.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SGs are way cool. Some people don't like the angle they rest at using a strap, and there's the neck dive thing, but I like SGs a lot. I only have an Epi G400, but it does ok for now.

Sometimes Gibsons have finishes that are a bit different than the "regular" look for a given model. Maybe they do that on purpose, so people will see a unique one and say, "I have to have that one!"

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PhxdB

View Post

Too bad they're neck heavy like a mother and will shatter at the neck joint and headstock if you drop it. frown.gif

In my experience, the heaviest SGs are lighter than pretty much any Les Paul, and vritually any guitar with an acute headstock angle is susceptible to neck damage if dropped...

• Members

I really like SGs. At first I didn't like their "devil horn" looks. But like a homely girl, they won me over with their personality.

As a bit of a guitar collector, what I've found is that their relatively thin, relatively lightweight bodies create more vibe and chime than a lot of heavier/thicker Les Pauls, and certainly more than some of their heavier all mahogany models (like LP Juniors or Specials).

I think Gibson in many aspects was on the right track when they were abandoning the Les Paul model and the SG was the "new and improved" model they launched. There's still things about a Les Paul I might prefer, but if I were a blind man, there'd be no competition for me, it would be all about the SGs, whether P-90, Classic PAFs or modern medium powered (e.g. 498Ts) p'ups. To me they find a niche between classic Fender and classic Gibson when it comes to tone.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
I know there's plenty of SG junks here actually. Probably won't be of any help resisting this baby:

11SgStandard_zps32be5874.jpg

It's a 2011 Standard in red cherry. Anyone know if it's just the pic, or if the regular standards comes/came in a darker shade of red, more like the Angus Youn signature model?

The price is damn hard to say no to, but I SO can't afford another guitar I don't really needfrown.gif

Don't have a single geetar with humbuckies though, and that's sort of a pain sometimesfrown.gif
Gorgeous! I think the colour is Aged Cherry.

Oh and uh GET IT! biggrin.gif

Archived