Can you mess up your ears by playing half step down? or...

privatejoe

• Members

perfect pitch (absolute pitch ) is the ability to determine musical notes and identify them on any number of instruments

with true perfect pitch you can pick out the individual notes of a chord

it's not something you can really mess up if you have it,nor can it really be learned AFAIK

you can train your ear for relative pitch and intervals

I would say no,you won't mess up your ears

• Members

perfect pitch (absolute pitch ) is the ability to determine musical notes and identify them on any number of instruments

it's not something you can really mess up if you have it,nor can it really be learned AFAIK

• Members

The only way you can mess up your ears is by playing at excessive volumes repeatedly. Tuning differently doesn't mess anything up. An Eb is an Eb regardless whether your guitar is tuned to standard, half step down, open G, open D, DADGAD or any other tuning.

• Members

The only way you can mess up your ears is by playing at excessive volumes repeatedly. Tuning differently doesn't mess anything up. An Eb is an Eb regardless whether your guitar is tuned to standard, half step down, open G, open D, DADGAD or any other tuning.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by privatejoe

View Post

or it doesn't matter because if you weren't born in perfect pitch, you are not going to have it anyway?

No, but you might tear a hole in the space time continuum. I don't recommend it, what with the wormholes to other dimensions and whatnot.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by privatejoe

View Post

or it doesn't matter because if you weren't born in perfect pitch, you are not going to have it anyway?

No, but you might tear a hole in the space time continuum. I don't recommend it, what with the wormholes to other dimensions and whatnot.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbluz

View Post

my wife has perfect pitch but has absolutely no formal musical knowledge at all - she remembers thousands of songs simply by the sound - if i want to know the key of a song i will ask her to sing it for me and she just pulls it out of the air - she can tell me if i'm playing the wrong note in a guitar riff and then sing the line for me as it should be - she does not think it is anything special and does not believe she has any talent at all - she thinks everyone can sing

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbluz

View Post

my wife has perfect pitch but has absolutely no formal musical knowledge at all - she remembers thousands of songs simply by the sound - if i want to know the key of a song i will ask her to sing it for me and she just pulls it out of the air - she can tell me if i'm playing the wrong note in a guitar riff and then sing the line for me as it should be - she does not think it is anything special and does not believe she has any talent at all - she thinks everyone can sing

Archived