OD/Distortion pedal recommandations

gatogordo

• Members

I hate the OD/Dist on my Line6 HD500. Everything else is I like, so I am in the market for either a dual pedal or 2 pedals to run with my DRRI, which has NO OD. I am looking for OD that is touch senstive. I finger pick some licks on quite a few songs during verses that I like somewhat clean, then dirtier on chorus. I like the AC sound. As for DiStortion I love the Plexi sound. The last pedal I owned before being an idiot and selling was MI Audio crunch Box. Then the 2 together you can get a boosted lead sound. Here are some I would like to know your opinion.

GFS Twin Drive
VS Jeckyll and Hyde
Fulltone Full Drive 2
Carl Martins Plexitone & The AC version (although it is priced a little out of my budget)

Any other ideas welcomed

Thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be honest, I've bought and returned all those you mentioned, with the exception of the GFS. I like the GC-exclusive T-Rex Yellow Drive for OD/Distortion flavors. I don't know if it gives you a Vox sim on one side and a Marshall sim on the other - I play it through a Vox, and it still sounds like Voxy drive with that pedal. It may not do what you're looking for. However, if you're mainly interested in the pedals you mentioned, I may not be of any help, since my preferences are too different from yours.

• Members

To be honest, I've bought and returned all those you mentioned, with the exception of the GFS. I like the GC-exclusive T-Rex Yellow Drive for OD/Distortion flavors. I don't know if it gives you a Vox sim on one side and a Marshall sim on the other - I play it through a Vox, and it still sounds like Voxy drive with that pedal. It may not do what you're looking for. However, if you're mainly interested in the pedals you mentioned, I may not be of any help, since my preferences are too different from yours.

• Members

I have the Plexitone and it's an outstanding pedal for what it does, classic rock distortion. It's not much of an overdrive pedal though. I'd go with a TS'ish style pedal as an od to go along with it - I use an old Vox Valvetone, but the world is full of clones

• Members

I have the Plexitone and it's an outstanding pedal for what it does, classic rock distortion. It's not much of an overdrive pedal though. I'd go with a TS'ish style pedal as an od to go along with it - I use an old Vox Valvetone, but the world is full of clones

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kayd_mon View Post
Obviously, my reading comprehension is down for the holidays.
I really need to look at threads more carefully before posting. facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kayd_mon View Post
Obviously, my reading comprehension is down for the holidays.
I really need to look at threads more carefully before posting. facepalm.gif

• Members

I wouldn't say I've tried too many OD pedals. I mean, I've had DS-1, DS-2, Little Big Muff, HM-2, Joyo whatever, etc., and probably some I'm forgetting.

I have to say, though, that the only OD pedal that I've really LOVED throughout the years is the Boss OD-3, which is sorta like a Blues Driver but better. It's simply the smoothest, most pleasing overdrive I've ever heard. It's also rarely talked about but ask anyone who has ever used an OD-3. It's everything an overdrive pedal needs to be. It works great as its own overdrive into a clean amp, it also works as a gritty boost into a drive channel (how I prefer to use it), and it's clean enough that you can use other pedals in conjunction with it.

• Members

I wouldn't say I've tried too many OD pedals. I mean, I've had DS-1, DS-2, Little Big Muff, HM-2, Joyo whatever, etc., and probably some I'm forgetting.

I have to say, though, that the only OD pedal that I've really LOVED throughout the years is the Boss OD-3, which is sorta like a Blues Driver but better. It's simply the smoothest, most pleasing overdrive I've ever heard. It's also rarely talked about but ask anyone who has ever used an OD-3. It's everything an overdrive pedal needs to be. It works great as its own overdrive into a clean amp, it also works as a gritty boost into a drive channel (how I prefer to use it), and it's clean enough that you can use other pedals in conjunction with it.

Archived