Best book/dvd guitar course

Drastion

• Members

I have been teaching myself guitar for a while now. I can feel myself improving each time I pick up and play. Don't get me wrong I am not looking for the magic touch to become good fast. Just I think I would greatly benefit from a more structured and mainly more complete learning system. Rather than randomly finding things that look like they would be most usefull to learn. Makes me think I spend too much time doing one thing and not enough or any at all on other things I should be learning.

Mainly want something physical like book or better dvd. Got a bit of addhd and its to easy to skip around trying more interesting things on a online course. So with a book or ordered dvd set it would be much easier to keep myself on track.

Im not a complete noob so I don't need a very beginners course. Also prefer not an online only course as I am not at a computer much. That and like I said above I think I would really benefit from a structured learning system so I don't end up skipping important things I need to improve.

My main two I am looking at are

Gibson learn and master guitar

Justinguitar beginner lesson and song book

• Members

Also reading on the gibson there seems to be two versions. One with 10 dvds and another with 20. The other ten "bonus workshop" dvds can be ordered seperatly. I just can't find out what they are for. Is it like session 1-10 and session 11-20?

Here is one I thought also might be good. Quick simple things to practice a little each day. Lots of good reviews and cheap enough not to care if I don't like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Aerobic...ef=pd_cp_mov_1

• Members

Also reading on the gibson there seems to be two versions. One with 10 dvds and another with 20. The other ten "bonus workshop" dvds can be ordered seperatly. I just can't find out what they are for. Is it like session 1-10 and session 11-20?

Here is one I thought also might be good. Quick simple things to practice a little each day. Lots of good reviews and cheap enough not to care if I don't like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Aerobic...ef=pd_cp_mov_1

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LynchProtoge

View Post

youtube - everything you could ever want for free

True, but there is something to be said for a structured comprehensive course professionally produced with quality audio and video. To me that's worth laying out a little money.

• Members

View Post

youtube - everything you could ever want for free

True, but there is something to be said for a structured comprehensive course professionally produced with quality audio and video. To me that's worth laying out a little money.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong

View Post

You can find that on youtube as well - its full of people offering lessons on just about everything, and most of it is free.

• Members

View Post

You can find that on youtube as well - its full of people offering lessons on just about everything, and most of it is free.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Virgman

View Post

GuitarPro

You can get tabs for thousands of songs in the rock and metal genre. Also tons of exercises. Pick your favorite artist and learn their stuff.

Theory you can get on the internet.

Guitar pro in no way teaches technique. It is a very useful tool for learning songs but learning to play an instrument and learning to play a song are quite a bit different.

Of course I am also still a firm believe in taking one on one lessons with a qualified teacher and spent my first 2 years or so not even worrying about learning any songs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Virgman

View Post

GuitarPro

You can get tabs for thousands of songs in the rock and metal genre. Also tons of exercises. Pick your favorite artist and learn their stuff.

Theory you can get on the internet.

Guitar pro in no way teaches technique. It is a very useful tool for learning songs but learning to play an instrument and learning to play a song are quite a bit different.

Of course I am also still a firm believe in taking one on one lessons with a qualified teacher and spent my first 2 years or so not even worrying about learning any songs.

• Members

View Post

Problem is - alot of "guitar teachers" these days are little more than wanna be rock stars who teach on the side, or for their day job, and they charge you an obscene amount of cash for what little advice and input they can offer in between answering their cell phones or showing off or whatever.

I was blessed to have an awesome guitar teacher for several years, but thats more the exception than the rule these days

• Members

View Post

Problem is - alot of "guitar teachers" these days are little more than wanna be rock stars who teach on the side, or for their day job, and they charge you an obscene amount of cash for what little advice and input they can offer in between answering their cell phones or showing off or whatever.

I was blessed to have an awesome guitar teacher for several years, but thats more the exception than the rule these days

• Members

View Post

I too have a great teacher. He's been teaching guitar full time (about 50 hours a week) for 25 years now.

• Members

View Post

I too have a great teacher. He's been teaching guitar full time (about 50 hours a week) for 25 years now.

Archived