Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Best book/dvd guitar course

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong
    View Post

True, but there is something to be said for a structured comprehensive course professionally produced with quality audio and video. To me that's worth laying out a little money.

You can find that on youtube as well - its full of people offering lessons on just about everything, and most of it is free.

Comment

View Post

True, but there is something to be said for a structured comprehensive course professionally produced with quality audio and video. To me that's worth laying out a little money.

You can find that on youtube as well - its full of people offering lessons on just about everything, and most of it is free.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Virgman
        View Post

GuitarPro

You can get tabs for thousands of songs in the rock and metal genre. Also tons of exercises. Pick your favorite artist and learn their stuff.

Theory you can get on the internet.

Guitar pro in no way teaches technique. It is a very useful tool for learning songs but learning to play an instrument and learning to play a song are quite a bit different.

Of course I am also still a firm believe in taking one on one lessons with a qualified teacher and spent my first 2 years or so not even worrying about learning any songs.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Virgman
          View Post

GuitarPro

You can get tabs for thousands of songs in the rock and metal genre. Also tons of exercises. Pick your favorite artist and learn their stuff.

Theory you can get on the internet.

Guitar pro in no way teaches technique. It is a very useful tool for learning songs but learning to play an instrument and learning to play a song are quite a bit different.

Of course I am also still a firm believe in taking one on one lessons with a qualified teacher and spent my first 2 years or so not even worrying about learning any songs.

Comment

View Post

Problem is - alot of "guitar teachers" these days are little more than wanna be rock stars who teach on the side, or for their day job, and they charge you an obscene amount of cash for what little advice and input they can offer in between answering their cell phones or showing off or whatever.

I was blessed to have an awesome guitar teacher for several years, but thats more the exception than the rule these days

Comment

View Post

Problem is - alot of "guitar teachers" these days are little more than wanna be rock stars who teach on the side, or for their day job, and they charge you an obscene amount of cash for what little advice and input they can offer in between answering their cell phones or showing off or whatever.

I was blessed to have an awesome guitar teacher for several years, but thats more the exception than the rule these days

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by LynchProtoge
                View Post

I too have a great teacher. He's been teaching guitar full time (about 50 hours a week) for 25 years now.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by LynchProtoge
                  View Post

I too have a great teacher. He's been teaching guitar full time (about 50 hours a week) for 25 years now.

Comment

I would say try Marty Scwartz. He is on youtube and even has a course that is

really inexpensive.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)</div>

Comment

I would say try Marty Scwartz. He is on youtube and even has a course that is

really inexpensive.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)</div>

Comment

I tried YouTube but its all pretty random. Not saying there is not good stuff out there. Just if you don't know what to look for you wont find it. That's why I wanted a system to make sure I don't skip anything that might be important.

kit_strong

That's pretty much what I have been doing. I don't know any songs yet. Not really worried about it either. I know some rifts from my favorite songs and that's good enough for now. Mainly just focusing on getting more articulate on the fret board so I can get faster with less fumbling.

I do 100% agree on a one on one teacher. But I work lousy hours and in a bitty town where I can't even find one. I wish I could it would have saved me from fixing a lot of bad habits I developed on my own that a good teacher would have picked up on right away.

I ordered a few music theory books and that guitar aerobics book last night as a start. Since that's how I have been teaching myself so far. Starting with easier riffs and going to more complex and faster ones. Glad to keep hearing people talk about years of learning. Not frustrated just without a jam buddie or something I am not really sure how much better I should be getting or how fast.

Comment

I tried YouTube but its all pretty random. Not saying there is not good stuff out there. Just if you don't know what to look for you wont find it. That's why I wanted a system to make sure I don't skip anything that might be important.

kit_strong

That's pretty much what I have been doing. I don't know any songs yet. Not really worried about it either. I know some rifts from my favorite songs and that's good enough for now. Mainly just focusing on getting more articulate on the fret board so I can get faster with less fumbling.

I do 100% agree on a one on one teacher. But I work lousy hours and in a bitty town where I can't even find one. I wish I could it would have saved me from fixing a lot of bad habits I developed on my own that a good teacher would have picked up on right away.

I ordered a few music theory books and that guitar aerobics book last night as a start. Since that's how I have been teaching myself so far. Starting with easier riffs and going to more complex and faster ones. Glad to keep hearing people talk about years of learning. Not frustrated just without a jam buddie or something I am not really sure how much better I should be getting or how fast.

Comment

Working...
                          X