Buying from China direct to your door - Amazing!

Virgman

• Members

I bought some adapters and plug jacks on eBay direct from China.

They came in the mail from Gengzou or someplace.

Amazing to think of the logistics involved.

They were good too. I even got an email reply to a question from a guy in China named Hu.

Shipping was free. The whole thing was so cheap. I couldn't mail anything for that from the USA to the guy down the street. Maybe they smuggle them out inside someones rectum. There was no odor though.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene View Post
chances are the items are very cheap, will break soon and are to the wrong specs.

I have had some good deals and some bad deals but definitely not any great deals so far
No, they are good quality. Why would you say that? Everything today is made in China no matter who you buy it from.

It's a knee jerk reaction to say that things made in China are poor quality. Not so. There are things made in the USA that are junk and same with China. But also good quality stuff too.

But the amazing thing about this is just ordering and getting in the mail something from the other side of the world. And in about 2 weeks.

Hershey chocolate is made in Mexico now. They have plants all over but have unfortunately closed many in the US due to labor savings. Do Mexicans make bad chocolate? No, it is just as good as the stuff that was made in Hershey, PA. It's too bad it is not made here anymore but that is the way of the world now.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene View Post
chances are the items are very cheap, will break soon and are to the wrong specs.

I have had some good deals and some bad deals but definitely not any great deals so far
No, they are good quality. Why would you say that? Everything today is made in China no matter who you buy it from.

It's a knee jerk reaction to say that things made in China are poor quality. Not so. There are things made in the USA that are junk and same with China. But also good quality stuff too.

But the amazing thing about this is just ordering and getting in the mail something from the other side of the world. And in about 2 weeks.

Hershey chocolate is made in Mexico now. They have plants all over but have unfortunately closed many in the US due to labor savings. Do Mexicans make bad chocolate? No, it is just as good as the stuff that was made in Hershey, PA. It's too bad it is not made here anymore but that is the way of the world now.

• Members

I just ordered 2 hygrometers via ebay BIN from china.. One for my acoustic case and one for my cigar humidor. $6 for both including shipping and batteries. It marked as shipped next day. Hopefully I see them soon.

• Members

I just ordered 2 hygrometers via ebay BIN from china.. One for my acoustic case and one for my cigar humidor. $6 for both including shipping and batteries. It marked as shipped next day. Hopefully I see them soon.

• Members

I've ordered several guitar parts, and speaker grill cloth and iPod cords direct from China. I ordered a complete tele control panel (control plate, switch, pots, knobs, cap) for just under $6, delivered. It was cheap stuff, but no cheaper or junkier then any stuff I've ordered from gfs.

It's an interesting development.

Places like gfs (and I'm using them as an example, not making a statement, btw) have made a case for selling imported goods fairly cheaply (but at a profit) and justifying that it is keeping Americans employed in their warehouse. Again, not making a statement, but now that we can completely bypass places like gfs, get the parts cheaper, and shipped for free or almost free, it sort of kills the argument that outsourcing is a good thing for anyone's economy other than the consumer. And, it's definitely unlikely to change.

• Members

I've ordered several guitar parts, and speaker grill cloth and iPod cords direct from China. I ordered a complete tele control panel (control plate, switch, pots, knobs, cap) for just under $6, delivered. It was cheap stuff, but no cheaper or junkier then any stuff I've ordered from gfs.

It's an interesting development.

Places like gfs (and I'm using them as an example, not making a statement, btw) have made a case for selling imported goods fairly cheaply (but at a profit) and justifying that it is keeping Americans employed in their warehouse. Again, not making a statement, but now that we can completely bypass places like gfs, get the parts cheaper, and shipped for free or almost free, it sort of kills the argument that outsourcing is a good thing for anyone's economy other than the consumer. And, it's definitely unlikely to change.

• Members

All cheap consumer electronics are made in China these days so why not cut out the middle-man?

All of the US and UK-based sellers on eBay are simply ordering from China in bulk and charging commission. If you can wait ten days for your goods to arrive then why not?

• Members

All cheap consumer electronics are made in China these days so why not cut out the middle-man?

All of the US and UK-based sellers on eBay are simply ordering from China in bulk and charging commission. If you can wait ten days for your goods to arrive then why not?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
I've seen those hygrometers/humidifiers too. Man, they are inexpensive. And those capos too.

My experience is that they sometimes say they have shipped right away but it still takes a couple weeks to arrive.

There are pickguards really cheap like $5 or something. Crazy.

I bought a 9v adapter for $5 that is a Boss 120t clone. It works good. If it breaks after a year I'll buy another one. The cable on it is actually heavier than my actual Boss 120t.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
I've seen those hygrometers/humidifiers too. Man, they are inexpensive. And those capos too.

My experience is that they sometimes say they have shipped right away but it still takes a couple weeks to arrive.

There are pickguards really cheap like $5 or something. Crazy.

I bought a 9v adapter for $5 that is a Boss 120t clone. It works good. If it breaks after a year I'll buy another one. The cable on it is actually heavier than my actual Boss 120t.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Virgman View Post

Again,

A lot of the stuff I have ordered has been of cheap quality.

A lot has been good quality.

None of it has been great quality.

Most often with the guitar parts being manufactured in China I will say this:

They are not to the standard specs that they should be and you will have to make changes around what you are building.

Like Tele necks with rounded heels that are wider heels than the standard fender specs or pickguards and or pick up plates that are not standard

Bridges that are not quite to spec for the size of the American guitars.

If you are building from scratch this is not so much of an issue but for replacement parts you will eventually run into problems.

I have boxes of examples

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Virgman View Post

Again,

A lot of the stuff I have ordered has been of cheap quality.

A lot has been good quality.

None of it has been great quality.

Most often with the guitar parts being manufactured in China I will say this:

They are not to the standard specs that they should be and you will have to make changes around what you are building.

Like Tele necks with rounded heels that are wider heels than the standard fender specs or pickguards and or pick up plates that are not standard

Bridges that are not quite to spec for the size of the American guitars.

If you are building from scratch this is not so much of an issue but for replacement parts you will eventually run into problems.

I have boxes of examples

• Members

I have bought tons of stuff straight from China! Most of it is the same stuff many of the US parts guys are selling at a mark up. Sometimes it can take a while to get here, but it always does. I can wait to save the amount I do. Not much for paying the middle man myself.

• Members

I have bought tons of stuff straight from China! Most of it is the same stuff many of the US parts guys are selling at a mark up. Sometimes it can take a while to get here, but it always does. I can wait to save the amount I do. Not much for paying the middle man myself.

Archived