Musician

doodie

• Members
gibson-delta.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...214634001.html

I feel seriously bad for the guy, I used to check in my guitar with just "Soft Case" facepalm.gif for 5 years and the only damage I got was just minor scratch on the soft case and one small dent on one of my guitar. But I guess I'll switch to hard case from now on.

BTW Cathay Pacific did a terrific job with checked-in musical instruments.wink.gif

• Members

It is fairly stupid not to have it in a proper flight case. I had a Gibson with one of those cases, and the case is pretty much worthless against any serious impact. I'm sorry his guitar was smashed and it is bad that baggage handlers treat stuff so, but their disregard for the belongings they handle is well known and he should have planned for it. Not the way it ought to be, but when you know that people will mistreat your instrument it's foolish not to plan based on it

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot

View Post

My worst nightmare would be either a bad hand injury or lose my hearing. As was said, a guitar can be replaced.

Since I suffer both from carpal tunnel syndrome and tinnitus, I'd have to agree. If you read the article the guitar is repairable, though it's going to cost over $1900 to do so.

Also can't believe he's flying without a flight case for it, though I ran into one of the guitarists for Wilco in a baggage claim area one time, and he had checked an acoustic through in a cheap fiberboard case. He said he did it all the time, and would just replace the guitar if it got damaged.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by D Carroll

View Post

he didn't buy a seat, he was trying to have them put it in a closet, or any open space inside the plane.

Would not have done any good to buy a second seat since the restrictions on carry on size are set in stone. I feel for the guy but he really did this to himself in the end.

For my 2

• Members

I did it once and survived, but I would never check in an expensive guitar in a case less than an Anvil type ATA case. AnvilATAGuitarCase.jpg

They aren't that expensive compared to the value of many guitars.

When I did have to check in a good guitar in an ordinary hardshell case I added internal padding and put a strap around the case.

Uusually I carry on my Steinberger Spirit guitar. Never had an issue with security or the airlines about carrying it on.

DV019_Jpg_Regular_518965_gigbag.jpg

• Members

Last time I checked luggage with anything valuable in it, the items were stolen from my suitcase. (about $2k worth - new laptop and wrapped Xmas presents.). I filed a police report. My homeowner's deductible essentially wouldn't cover it bc it was a work computer (ie, not mine). Employer's insurance wouldn't cover it for other reasons. That was a bad Xmas - couldn't get my work done, and the gifts for my family ($400 worth) were all stolen.

I contacted the airline but they said it wasn't their problem. I contacted both airports but they both gave me the runaround that I couldn't prove which airport it happened at.

As for flying with instruments - I've used hard cases in the past and gotten them back absolutely trashed - but instrument inside was safe and sound.

I hate airlines.

Archived