Got my first seven string and....

downer01

• Members

I love it! It's an Ibanez arz307. Had it for about 2 weeks now and can't put it down.
Bought it on an impulse buy at the local shop during the christmas sales and don't regret it at all

I've since put a new graph tech nut on it and will be replacing the stock pickups with a Duncan JB and dimarzio air norton and some Sperzel locking tuners

Anyone else got love for the 7's?

IMAG0276_zpsd649392e.jpg

• Members

I have a first-year (2001) Ibanez RG7321 that I got in 2011. Just an entry level 7 that I can play around with. I got it so I could reach some Deftones and Meshuggah riffs I was itching to play, and a little Korn. The bridge pickup is notoriously muddy, but I haven't bothered to replace it. One of these days I might.

2012-09-03080714.jpg

• Members

I have a first-year (2001) Ibanez RG7321 that I got in 2011. Just an entry level 7 that I can play around with. I got it so I could reach some Deftones and Meshuggah riffs I was itching to play, and a little Korn. The bridge pickup is notoriously muddy, but I haven't bothered to replace it. One of these days I might.

2012-09-03080714.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by downer01 View Post
The pickups on mine are a bit muddy as well, mainly on the low b. But it definitely has potential, I've seen some guys on various forums do some sweet mods/customizing to the 7321's
I think I'm settled on getting an Air Norton 7 for mine. I just don't put enough time on the 7 to really justify it at the moment.

Another forumite recommended lowering the bridge pickup a bit, and I'll eventually try that.

For an entry level 7, the workmanship on my 7321 is pretty impressive.

• Members
The pickups on mine are a bit muddy as well, mainly on the low b. But it definitely has potential, I've seen some guys on various forums do some sweet mods/customizing to the 7321's
I think I'm settled on getting an Air Norton 7 for mine. I just don't put enough time on the 7 to really justify it at the moment.

Another forumite recommended lowering the bridge pickup a bit, and I'll eventually try that.

For an entry level 7, the workmanship on my 7321 is pretty impressive.

• Members

I have one just like yours, picked it up off CL with the original pickups having been replaced with an evolution and blaze, which sound awesome in it! I threw a set of sperzals on it and a new bridge and tailpiece, both flat black. Due to a order foul-up, I kept the original chrome (nickel?) anchors for the bridge and tailpiece, especially since they matched the color scheme of the sperzal tuners and the pickups. Personally I dig it, as it's pretty original looking. I also rewired it so that I have 2 volumes and no tone controls (I have capacitors and resisters in place to mimic tone pots in the circuit). I'd rather have independent volume controls than a tone pot... Anyways, here's the axe.

dsc0705t.jpg

• Members

I have one just like yours, picked it up off CL with the original pickups having been replaced with an evolution and blaze, which sound awesome in it! I threw a set of sperzals on it and a new bridge and tailpiece, both flat black. Due to a order foul-up, I kept the original chrome (nickel?) anchors for the bridge and tailpiece, especially since they matched the color scheme of the sperzal tuners and the pickups. Personally I dig it, as it's pretty original looking. I also rewired it so that I have 2 volumes and no tone controls (I have capacitors and resisters in place to mimic tone pots in the circuit). I'd rather have independent volume controls than a tone pot... Anyways, here's the axe.

dsc0705t.jpg

• Members
I'm pretty much set on putting the air norton in the neck on mine, went back and forth between the duncan distortion and jb for the bridge but am leaning more towards the jb at the moment
The Distortion is the superior pickup if you're a metal player, in my opinion. I've played sevens for years. Lots of experience with the JB and I think it's a great pickup right up through hard rock and it certainly can do metal, but for me I was always trying to coax that last little bit of oomph out of it. The Distortion pushes it that last bit over the top, in my opinion (the JB and Distortion are in fact the same pickup, simply with different magnets).

Anyway, I love seven strings so much I went and built my own custom model. thumb.gif

SevenWhole.jpg
SevenBody.jpg
SevenSide.jpg

• Members
I'm pretty much set on putting the air norton in the neck on mine, went back and forth between the duncan distortion and jb for the bridge but am leaning more towards the jb at the moment
The Distortion is the superior pickup if you're a metal player, in my opinion. I've played sevens for years. Lots of experience with the JB and I think it's a great pickup right up through hard rock and it certainly can do metal, but for me I was always trying to coax that last little bit of oomph out of it. The Distortion pushes it that last bit over the top, in my opinion (the JB and Distortion are in fact the same pickup, simply with different magnets).

Anyway, I love seven strings so much I went and built my own custom model. thumb.gif

SevenWhole.jpg
SevenBody.jpg
SevenSide.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post

dsc0705t.jpg
What type of bridge is that? Where did you get it?
I inquired to graph tech about a seven string model with the graphite saddles but I was told they don't make them and don't have any future plans to produce any at the moment

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post

SevenWhole.jpg
SevenBody.jpg
SevenSide.jpg
That looks badass man.

I'm not much of a hardcore metal player, most of the time I'm using it for Deftones, sevendust, type riffing. Nothing to fast or complicated.
I figured the jb should be able to pull it off well on the 7 since its always done a good job on my 6's

• Members

Ive had a few 7's...i really liked the 307, almost pulled the trigger on it, played it a bunch of times but did not buy it, it was the first 7 i tried actually..I agree, it definatley needs a PU swap and then youve got a nice guitar there.

• Members
What type of bridge is that? Where did you get it?
I inquired to graph tech about a seven string model with the graphite saddles but I was told they don't make them and don't have any future plans to produce any at the moment
Here's the info on the tailpiece & bridge, both purchased from WD Music Products:

(1) TP7-B TONEPROS

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post

SevenWhole.jpg
I have always loved your work on the headstock of this guitar, how the strings come up from the nut very straight, all the way to the posts, yet the design is compact. It's very intelligently thought out, no b.s. at all.

• Members
Thanks for the info.
I emailed sperzel last week and they told me to go ahead and order the set from them but didn't mention anything about needing the longer posts, so thanks for the heads up on that one!
No problemo.

I didn't know about the issue with the tuner shaft length until after I ordered my first set through them, having had asked for their "long" shaft tuners which still were not long enough. Little did I know that they have a "longest" sized tuner that I needed. I was able to return them for the ones I needed, but still, it was a PITA to have to screw around with.

Nice axe, by the way! I love the way this one feels vs my 7 string Schecter Blackjack (with SD JB in the bridge & '59 in the neck), which just feels more bulky. I was worried about the shorter scale of the Ibby, but it hasn't seemed to be a problem at all.

Archived