How does the Jaguar fit?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Here are two great, short Jag videos, straight from the source(Fender):

the second one's a squier, but sounds very decent, IMO:

I think they're definitely strat-flavored...nice glassy overtones, with a little quack, but "richer" than your typical strat and capable of some nice chime as well...

• Members

Here are two great, short Jag videos, straight from the source(Fender):

the second one's a squier, but sounds very decent, IMO:

I think they're definitely strat-flavored...nice glassy overtones, with a little quack, but "richer" than your typical strat and capable of some nice chime as well...

• Members

The Jaguar was supposed to be the top of the line Fender replacing the strat and Jazzmaster as Fender's premium solid body. It has some very cool features that actually work well like the pickup shielding and grounding design. But it's an expensive design to manufacture (ever look under the pick guard?) and most players didn't care for the elaborate switching system or the rhythm circuit. The shorter 24" scale gives it a slinky feel, but this is another feature that players didn't care for.

The pickups are voiced like a typical strat with output about the same (around 6 k dc resistance). But the large chambers for the wiring and trem cavity and the bulky metal parts have a strong impact on tone. The design of the trem with top loading strings shortens sustain and helps give the jag its signature tone which is bright, plinky, and great for Indy pop and Coldplay style alt crap:-).

Personally, I love my Jag. It's an MIA 62 RI. I installed some Tusq saddles and it really helped tuning stability and increased sustain slightly. But it's a helluva fun guitar that will set you apart from the strat/tele crowd.

jag1.jpg

• Members

The Jaguar was supposed to be the top of the line Fender replacing the strat and Jazzmaster as Fender's premium solid body. It has some very cool features that actually work well like the pickup shielding and grounding design. But it's an expensive design to manufacture (ever look under the pick guard?) and most players didn't care for the elaborate switching system or the rhythm circuit. The shorter 24" scale gives it a slinky feel, but this is another feature that players didn't care for.

The pickups are voiced like a typical strat with output about the same (around 6 k dc resistance). But the large chambers for the wiring and trem cavity and the bulky metal parts have a strong impact on tone. The design of the trem with top loading strings shortens sustain and helps give the jag its signature tone which is bright, plinky, and great for Indy pop and Coldplay style alt crap:-).

Personally, I love my Jag. It's an MIA 62 RI. I installed some Tusq saddles and it really helped tuning stability and increased sustain slightly. But it's a helluva fun guitar that will set you apart from the strat/tele crowd.

jag1.jpg

• Members

I don't mind the short scale and I'd really like one. I have over 40 guitars and not one of them is a Jaguar or any Fender off set guitar.

I might get one after I get rid of 20 or so guitars. It's time to clean house and declutter my gear room.

• Members

I don't mind the short scale and I'd really like one. I have over 40 guitars and not one of them is a Jaguar or any Fender off set guitar.

I might get one after I get rid of 20 or so guitars. It's time to clean house and declutter my gear room.

Archived