Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they as heavy as jazzmasters? My new Mascis JM weighs 8.8 lbs.
    "The blues is the recognition of a tragedy, and the optimism to deal with it" (Fruteland Jackson)

"You may think you're playing your instrument, but what you're really playing is the audience" (anonymous)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mschafft
      View Post

Just a quick look at Sweetwater's Jaguar stock..........it appears that they're all in that ballpark weight range.

My jazzmaster is a fairly heavy guitar too.
      good deals with: nearly everyone.
      Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Comment

View Post

Just a quick look at Sweetwater's Jaguar stock..........it appears that they're all in that ballpark weight range.

good deals with: nearly everyone.
        Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Fiscal
          View Post

What the Jag lacks in wood it compensates on eletronics. Heavy beauties.
          "The blues is the recognition of a tragedy, and the optimism to deal with it" (Fruteland Jackson)

"You may think you're playing your instrument, but what you're really playing is the audience" (anonymous)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Fiscal
            View Post

What the Jag lacks in wood it compensates on eletronics. Heavy beauties.

Comment

The scale length and body shape are very comfortable in my opinion, especially while standing. The guitar just sort of wants to lie perfectly. I have a strat too and it's plenty comfortable but it sort of runs away from me sometimes, whereas the Jaguar just feels more stable. I can't speak intelligently about the pickups or trem or the complicated switching as they aren't present on my Jaguar. I like it more every day.

So yeah, I'd say one possible niche that the Jaguar can and does fill is as a humbucker vehicle for guys who are more drawn to Fender, like me. I like traditional Jags too, but don't have one yet. It makes me laugh when people get upset about impure Jags, as if the original formula was some kind of classic runaway success.

I like the direction Fender is going with Jaguars now, in that they're getting ridiculous and trying out unusual ideas, like the Jaguarillo. The niche the Jaguar should be is as an anything-goes experimental Fender-style guitar.
              Guitars:
              -Fender Wayne's World 2 Stratocaster w/Fat '50s pickups
              -Fender Blacktop Jaguar HH
              Amps:
              -Fender Champion 110 w/Lil' Buddy
              -Fender Princeton 112 Plus w/Red White and Blues
              -Crate Palomino V8
              Effects:
              -Way Huge Swollen Pickle Jumbo Fuzz
              -Pro Co You Dirty Rat Distortion
              -MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Comment

The scale length and body shape are very comfortable in my opinion, especially while standing. The guitar just sort of wants to lie perfectly. I have a strat too and it's plenty comfortable but it sort of runs away from me sometimes, whereas the Jaguar just feels more stable. I can't speak intelligently about the pickups or trem or the complicated switching as they aren't present on my Jaguar. I like it more every day.

So yeah, I'd say one possible niche that the Jaguar can and does fill is as a humbucker vehicle for guys who are more drawn to Fender, like me. I like traditional Jags too, but don't have one yet. It makes me laugh when people get upset about impure Jags, as if the original formula was some kind of classic runaway success.

I like the direction Fender is going with Jaguars now, in that they're getting ridiculous and trying out unusual ideas, like the Jaguarillo. The niche the Jaguar should be is as an anything-goes experimental Fender-style guitar.
                Guitars:
                -Fender Wayne's World 2 Stratocaster w/Fat '50s pickups
                -Fender Blacktop Jaguar HH
                Amps:
                -Fender Champion 110 w/Lil' Buddy
                -Fender Princeton 112 Plus w/Red White and Blues
                -Crate Palomino V8
                Effects:
                -Way Huge Swollen Pickle Jumbo Fuzz
                -Pro Co You Dirty Rat Distortion
                -MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DaleH
                  View Post

carve its niche... it didn't. It pretty much died out.

Oddly enough, that's how it found it's niche...if it weren't for the Jag/Jazzmaster dying out, Cobain, Mascis and other alt-rockers probably would've never been able to score used vintage examples on the cheap and revive interest in the design(s).

Comment

View Post

Oddly enough, that's how it found it's niche...if it weren't for the Jag/Jazzmaster dying out, Cobain, Mascis and other alt-rockers probably would've never been able to score used vintage examples on the cheap and revive interest in the design(s).

Comment

View Post

A lot of the Jags and Jazzers made in Japan for export to the US and Europe have basswood bodies even though they advertised them as alder. They are much lighter-- my CIJ Jazz is 7.5 pounds. The pots, switches and pickups are cheap, but with an upgrade you will have a lighter guitar that sounds like a proper Fender.

Comment

View Post

Yeah, that must be why Fender makes about 17 versions of the Jaguar these days.
                        No sig.

Comment

Concerning the 24" scale, if you do the math, the difference is 5/100 " difference per fret. So the tighter spacing should not be an issue. But the slinky feel will be easily detected. A change in string gauge to 11 or 12 will nullify this completely, but muscle memory is a funny thing and some players swear that they can't get used to the shorter scale.

Comment

If you want to try what it's like, take a 25.5" guitar, tune down a half step and capo the first fret. Pretty similar to a Jag, although the floating tailpiece changes the string feel and resonance somewhat.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum
                              View Post

Just get a Strat, disconnect the middle pickup, drive over it in a truck and then check you damaged the vibrato unit enough.......you got a Jaguar

Unless it's a Johnny

While I disagree with most of this I do agree that the Johnny Marr Jag kicks ass. I love mine.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus
                                View Post

Yeah, that must be why Fender makes about 17 versions of the Jaguar these days.

I agree with you, in one sense...the Jaguar is more popular now than ever. If it hadn't "died out" in 1975 though, you might not see too many around today...

Comment

Working...
                                X