How to convince my wife that I really do need more gear?

gardo

• Members

I was proud of myself on the last addition.
I really wanted an es-335 type so I showed her pics of different colors and told her I was just looking but if I ever did buy one which color do you like?
She choose black with gold hardware. I told her that she was right that really is the most beautiful one of the bunch. Her response was that if I really like it that much I should go ahead and order it.Yes.
Problem, That color was out of stock. She suggested waiting untill they get more.cry.gif
Worse than that ,they had discontinued that color. facepalm.gif

Well it worked once so..... I asked my step son to choose a color and of course I said he was right that is the best. She was happy that he was included and I got my guitar.
Now I need a new strategy, any ideas?

• Members

Well if all the bills are taking care of why do grown men need to ask what to do with their own money? I'm sure the ladies of the house really don't ask this nonsense when they buy shoes,dress's, and hand bags. To only use them once.

I find this weird. Maybe because I never saw my dad do this once.If he wanted it he got. Even if he used it once.
Yes i'm single and if the bills are taken care of I will get what I want.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by noah76 View Post
Well if all the bills are taking care of why do grown men need to ask what to do with their own money? I'm sure the ladies of the house really don't ask this nonsense when they buy shoes,dress's, and hand bags. To only use them once.

I find this weird. Maybe because I never saw my dad do this once.If he wanted it he got. Even if he used it once.
this

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by noah76 View Post

I'm lucky in that my wife is basically frugal and I actually tell her to go get some new shoes.
You may find this weird but to me it is not . Now that she has completed her degree she is earning a good income and I consider it a matter of respect to discuss bigger purchases with her.
This ain't the old days when mom stayed home and dad went to work.
I enjoy the challenge of convincing her that I need more. It is not stressful but more of a game.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gardo View Post
I really wanted an es-335 type so I showed her pics of different colors and told her I was just looking but if I ever did buy one which color do you like?
She choose black with gold hardware. I told her that she was right that really is the most beautiful one of the bunch. Her response was that if I really like it that much I should go ahead and order it.Yes.
Problem, That color was out of stock. She suggested waiting untill they get more.cry.gif

Well it worked once so..... I asked my step son to choose a color and of course I said he was right that is the best. She was happy that he was included and I got my guitar.
There really is only one valid strategy for this scenario. You have to acquire enough gear that, after awhile, it becomes impossible for anyone to tell if new gear has been added.

I just picked up a new amp. It went into my basement studio with no notice whatsoever. icon_lol.gif

• Members

The best analogy I've ever made to my wife about Guitars and Gear is that Guitars are like all her shoes, you need different ones for different situations... she understood... of course now I can't complain when she buys another pair of shoes...

• Members

Put on some pants and buy!

• Members

Put on some pants and buy!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by coyote-1 View Post
There really is only one valid strategy for this scenario. You have to acquire enough gear that, after awhile, it becomes impossible for anyone to tell if new gear has been added.

I just picked up a new amp. It went into my basement studio with no notice whatsoever. icon_lol.gif

THIS IS THE WINNER

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by coyote-1 View Post

THIS IS THE WINNER
So last Christmas (2011) I bought my 15 year old a new acoustic bass and I bought my 12 year old a new acoustic guitar.

For over a month the guitars sat there with the other guitars of mine and not one of them noticed. There they were... Their Christmas presents hiding right out in the open. I have achieved what coyote speaks of and I am proud of it

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene View Post
So last Christmas (2011) I bought my 15 year old a new acoustic bass and I bought my 12 year old a new acoustic guitar.

For over a month the guitars sat there with the other guitars of mine and not one of them noticed. There they were... Their Christmas presents hiding right out in the open. I have achieved what coyote speaks of and I am proud of it
So you have confirmed that this is the wining strategy thumb.gif

• Members
So you have confirmed that this is the wining strategy thumb.gif

Yes... The key here is to be consistent. If you like strats buy strats etc.

If you own multiple yellow JEMs then who is to say that they are not the same guitar right?

Also, you need to have them everywhere in the house. Various closets, rooms etc. That way nobody can ever get an accurate count so therefore nobody will really know how many that there are.

Archived