Richie...

budalash

• Members

...what a character. I've been drinking Jack all night playing along to the stuff that made me pick up the guitar almost 20 years ago. I absolutely love everything about this guy and he's about the only living guitar player I'd like to have a beer with. OK, and Allan Holdsworth too...

ps Impossible to switch from neck to bridge in A gypsy's kiss (2:14-2:34) but OK, he overdubbed it and they never played it live. I finally gave up after 1 hour of trying. The licks are not difficult but the position switch was driving me crazy. And then, in the spirit of George Constanza I gave up...Because I'm a quitter...I come from a line of quitters...icon_lol.gif

pps My apologies if I come across a bit crazy, it's the booze smile.gif Cheers everyone!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you're way off, onelife. Yngwie sounds totally different from Blackmore, and one of the things that makes his playing stand out from most other technical '80s marvels is his soulfulness and the underlying blues feel. Yngwie copied Blackmore's moves and the odd riff, but has a very different approach to lead playing. I hear more Ulrich Roth than Blackmore in his lines, and he's still far from being a clone of either.

• Members

I think you're way off, onelife. Yngwie sounds totally different from Blackmore, and one of the things that makes his playing stand out from most other technical '80s marvels is his soulfulness and the underlying blues feel. Yngwie copied Blackmore's moves and the odd riff, but has a very different approach to lead playing. I hear more Ulrich Roth than Blackmore in his lines, and he's still far from being a clone of either.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen View Post
I think you're way off, onelife...
You may be right - please let me try and explain it better with this example.

Here is a pretty lame euro-pop tune by Ritchie and his wife but when he comes in with the solo, I get shivers up my back - I don't get anything like that at all from Yngwie. Although I respect him as a player, his music does not move me in the way that Ritchie's does.

(solo about two and a half min in)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen View Post
I think you're way off, onelife...
You may be right - please let me try and explain it better with this example.

Here is a pretty lame euro-pop tune by Ritchie and his wife but when he comes in with the solo, I get shivers up my back - I don't get anything like that at all from Yngwie. Although I respect him as a player, his music does not move me in the way that Ritchie's does.

(solo about two and a half min in)

Archived