I modified my Gibson Midtown Standard

PunkKitty

• Members

I installed mini humbuckers. The bridge pickup was wound by Ken at Rose Pickups. It's a hot alnico 2. The neck pickup was wound by Bryan at BG Pups. It's alnico 5. They sound awesome together. Installation was a breeze using GFS rings. I like those rings. There is no need to use tubing between the top of the ring and the humbucker itself.

DSCF6245.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey View Post
Wow! Beautiful,! You've inspired my to go guitar shopping for a Midtown before Gibson comes to its senses and raise the price on that gem.
Better move fast. Gibson discontinued them. I have another cherry sunburst model that I can sell you. It's NIB. I only pulled it out to verify that the setup was good and that everything worked. It's on ebay now but I'll gladly kill the auction if someone here is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
Very nice PK. Didn't get on with the P90's?

I'm pondering snagging a Melody Maker Special with an eye to putting in a couple mini's.

BTW - your workspace looks more disorganized than mine, and it takes quite a bit to beat my mess LOL!
I love the sound of P90's. I HATE the hum that comes with it. I'll happily play humbuckers instead of P90's if I can avoid the hum.

My workspace is about as organized as I am.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey View Post
Wow! Beautiful,! You've inspired my to go guitar shopping for a Midtown before Gibson comes to its senses and raise the price on that gem.
Better move fast. Gibson discontinued them. I have another cherry sunburst model that I can sell you. It's NIB. I only pulled it out to verify that the setup was good and that everything worked. It's on ebay now but I'll gladly kill the auction if someone here is interested.

Very nice PK. Didn't get on with the P90's?

I'm pondering snagging a Melody Maker Special with an eye to putting in a couple mini's.

BTW - your workspace looks more disorganized than mine, and it takes quite a bit to beat my mess LOL!
I love the sound of P90's. I HATE the hum that comes with it. I'll happily play humbuckers instead of P90's if I can avoid the hum.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty View Post
You could flip the magnets and wiring on one making the 2 RWRP to the other. I find this in conjunction with a blend pot gives great tones with minimal hum. I find the best tones are really close to either side of the center position on the blend so hum doesn't tend to be as much of an issue.

Ditto.

• Members
You could flip the magnets and wiring on one making the 2 RWRP to the other. I find this in conjunction with a blend pot gives great tones with minimal hum. I find the best tones are really close to either side of the center position on the blend so hum doesn't tend to be as much of an issue.

Ditto.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru

View Post

I agree with this 100%.

• Members

View Post

I agree with this 100%.

• Members

Ditto.
That will give you RP but not RW and might end up out of phase

• Members

View Post

Yup. I could. I just chose to install mini humbuckers. I'm fine with that decision.

• Members

Thanks very much, but I think that this is gonna be the year that I score an R9 to complete my burst collection. I have an R8 and R0--but I need the 9. This might be the one:

921398_lg1.jpg

Archived