NAD (VHT Special 6 Ultra)

profgalen

• Members

I thought about this for about two weeks. I tried a lot of amps in the 5w to 15w range. I wanted something small that sounded good at low volume but loud enough for small gigs and a some clean headroom. This fit the bill and then some. I've owned a lot of tube amps over the years (Mesas, Fenders, Marshalls, etc.). I have to say this is possibly the best sounding amp I've ever owned. I switched the Chinese tubes to 2 Tung-Sol 12AX7s and a NOS Sylvania 6L6GC U.S.A. replacing the 6V6 and increasing the HR.

Things I like:
Hand wired eyelet board construction.
F/X loop
Adjustable wattage attenuation (1/2 watt to 6 watts).
6 or 3 watt switch.
Lows are controlled by an 11 position Depth switch which seems to boost the mids as it rolls off the lows.
Texture switch (3 position) rolls off some highs (very subtle).
Foot-switchable Boost (very useful).
According to VHT you can swap any large socket power tube (6L6, 6V6, EL34).

Things I don't like:
To switch from the Clean ch to the high gain Ultra ch you have to plug into the Ultra input. You can not use an A/B box because one input cuts off the other. Not a big deal for me but could be for some.
The real PITA for me is that even though it has jacks for extension cab switchable to 4,8 and 16 ohms, to unplug the internal speaker you must remove the back panel. I think I'll remove the wire mesh that covers the central portion of the back panel for easy access.
This amp is about the biggest amp in this class. Also the loudest.
IM000756.jpg
IM000757.jpg
IM000771.jpg
IM000773.jpg

• Members

I was considering the head for a while... to me one of the best selling points is that it isn't a printed circuit board so if anything ever goes wrong it's easy to fix. How would you describe the tone?? Modern/Vintage? Fender/Marshall?

• Members

I was considering the head for a while... to me one of the best selling points is that it isn't a printed circuit board so if anything ever goes wrong it's easy to fix. How would you describe the tone?? Modern/Vintage? Fender/Marshall?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Marc G

View Post

I would have to say Fender like. The 6V6 gave it a Deluxe type vibe. The 6L6 puts it in small Mesa territory. I just switched the pre tubes to a JJ 12AX7 on the clean and a Japanese 12AT7 on the Ultra gain stage. I like trying different tubes.

• Members

I had the Special 6 and the clean sounds on that were fantastic. I played one of the Ultra models at a GC six months ago and the gain channel sounded good too. I sold the Special 6 because didn't need it. I bought the Kustom V100 Defender which is an awesome amp. I also have a Mesa DR but if I were to get rid of those, i think i'd give the VHT line a strong look because they are by the far the best affordable low wattage amps imo. I've owned the Vox AC4TV8, Bugera V5, Jet City JCA22H and a few other low wattage amps and the VHT was the best by far. Again, just my opinion.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho

View Post

I had the Special 6 and the clean sounds on that were fantastic. I played one of the Ultra models at a GC six months ago and the gain channel sounded good too. I sold the Special 6 because didn't need it. I bought the Kustom V100 Defender which is an awesome amp. I also have a Mesa DR but if I were to get rid of those, i think i'd give the VHT line a strong look because they are by the far the best affordable low wattage amps imo. I've owned the Vox AC4TV8, Bugera V5, Jet City JCA22H and a few other low wattage amps and the VHT was the best by far. Again, just my opinion.

I also have a Kustom V100 Defender. My big amp for gigs. I think the Vintage 30 Celestions help make this amp sound great. I love the trem/vib circuit as well.

Archived