Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret ends beginning to feel sharp.

My frets are beginning to feel sharp on one of my favorite guitars. They're not too bad yet, but I don't want them to get worse. I definitely don't want to try to file them myself or pay someone for a refret.

FWIW, it's a rosewood board, lightly tinted maple neck.

Any decent remedies out there?
    Please take a moment to check out my podcast, Two Average Dicks. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation
    View Post

My frets are beginning to feel sharp on one of my favorite guitars. They're not too bad yet, but I don't want them to get worse. I definitely don't want to try to file them myself or pay someone for a refret.

FWIW, it's a rosewood board, lightly tinted maple neck.

Any decent remedies out there?

Hard to say. Is it fret spout? In that case you could try humidifying the guitar. Otherwise, filing fret ends is really not a real big deal.

Comment

Get a humidifier. Frets stick out more when wood shrinks due to dry winter air.

Why do you not want to file them down? Tape off the wood on either side and carefully file them down. It isn't rocket surgery.

edit: typed that while mockchoi was posting the exact same thing

Comment

It's not that I don't think I could file them down. I was just hoping there would be an easier way.

I'm gonna try a humidifier for now.
        Please take a moment to check out my podcast, Two Average Dicks. Thank you.

Comment

Winter is the ideal time to file fret ends, that way you don't have to worry all year round.

Since it is rosewood, you could also try a little fret doctor if the board is dried out that would help a little in the wood expansion. But the low temps and low humidity is primary cause.
          Pickups and Parts For Sale...

WTB BG Pups
          Good deals with Guitarzan1143, diceman1000, narwhal, playdabluze, GibsonVman, TFM53

Comment

noticed this on a couple of my guitars in the past week. Tis the cold, dry hands of winter....
            The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
            Lou Reed

Comment

It happens because of weather changes - an experienced pro can do the job for you in very little time time and it won't cost much - it should not require a refret

One of the nice things about the Gibson style of binding the fingerboard is that this sort of thing is a non-issue.

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

File them, it's not a big deal. All of my fenders, except my srv, needed this done this year.

I'm sure if you google it there will be plenty of info.
                --
                Wagdog
                Check out Lunar Commander on:
                iTunes App Store
                Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                iTunes App Store
                Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by megawzrd
                  View Post

Winter is the ideal time to file fret ends, that way you don't have to worry all year round.

Since it is rosewood, you could also try a little fret doctor if the board is dried out that would help a little in the wood expansion. But the low temps and low humidity is primary cause.

Indeed and the Fret Doctor will prevent this from happening again
                  Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

If it it's rosswood use some lemmon oil on it. Just lay the guitar flat and rub enough on with your finger so you can see a nice layer. Do it again in about 20 min. It will not take up more than it needs.

Then just wipe it down and string her up. Day or two they will be gone.

Comment

It's not only in the cold. My wife is European and keeps our house near 80 year round. Every guitar I bring in the house that doesn't have a bound neck eventually gets it. Frustrating.
                      I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS"most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player""people overthink ****************""Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.""If it sounds good to you then it sounds good"The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

Normal thing to happen at this time of the year! Well where I live it is normal for about half the year which is winter. I have filed a couple of mine down in the last couple of weeks as well as tweaked the truss rods on all of mine in the last little while. I just look at it as part of maintenance to keep my guitars in top working order.

Comment

Normal thing to happen at this time of the year! Well where I live it is normal for about half the year which is winter. I have filed a couple of mine down in the last couple of weeks as well as tweaked the truss rods on all of mine in the last little while. I just look at it as part of maintenance to keep my guitars in top working order.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation
                            View Post

It's not that I don't think I could file them down. I was just hoping there would be an easier way.

I'm gonna try a humidifier for now.

Proper humidity for instruments is 40% to 60%. If you are under 40% or even close you will notice fret issues and many other problems will develop over time
                            GuitarHeads: http://www.guitarheads.orgSome of My Music: Scott Abene - Reverb Nation"Ich bin Jung und brauche das Geld"-Eko Fresh

Comment

+1 on dryness/shrinkage.

The rosewood on my Strat I tend to keep well oiled and it seems to be fine. The maple on the Tele however isn't fairing so well and frets are getting bumpy.
                              Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Comment

Working...
                              X