Fret ends beginning to feel sharp.

Hand Amputation

• Members
confused.gif

My frets are beginning to feel sharp on one of my favorite guitars. They're not too bad yet, but I don't want them to get worse. I definitely don't want to try to file them myself or pay someone for a refret.

FWIW, it's a rosewood board, lightly tinted maple neck.

Any decent remedies out there?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation View Post
confused.gif

My frets are beginning to feel sharp on one of my favorite guitars. They're not too bad yet, but I don't want them to get worse. I definitely don't want to try to file them myself or pay someone for a refret.

FWIW, it's a rosewood board, lightly tinted maple neck.

Any decent remedies out there?
Hard to say. Is it fret spout? In that case you could try humidifying the guitar. Otherwise, filing fret ends is really not a real big deal.

• Members

Get a humidifier. Frets stick out more when wood shrinks due to dry winter air.

Why do you not want to file them down? Tape off the wood on either side and carefully file them down. It isn't rocket surgery.

edit: typed that while mockchoi was posting the exact same thing

• Members

Winter is the ideal time to file fret ends, that way you don't have to worry all year round.

Since it is rosewood, you could also try a little fret doctor if the board is dried out that would help a little in the wood expansion. But the low temps and low humidity is primary cause.

• Members

It happens because of weather changes - an experienced pro can do the job for you in very little time time and it won't cost much - it should not require a refret

One of the nice things about the Gibson style of binding the fingerboard is that this sort of thing is a non-issue.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by megawzrd View Post
Winter is the ideal time to file fret ends, that way you don't have to worry all year round.

Since it is rosewood, you could also try a little fret doctor if the board is dried out that would help a little in the wood expansion. But the low temps and low humidity is primary cause.
Indeed and the Fret Doctor will prevent this from happening again

• Members

If it it's rosswood use some lemmon oil on it. Just lay the guitar flat and rub enough on with your finger so you can see a nice layer. Do it again in about 20 min. It will not take up more than it needs.
Then just wipe it down and string her up. Day or two they will be gone.

• Members

Normal thing to happen at this time of the year! Well where I live it is normal for about half the year which is winter. I have filed a couple of mine down in the last couple of weeks as well as tweaked the truss rods on all of mine in the last little while. I just look at it as part of maintenance to keep my guitars in top working order.

• Members

Normal thing to happen at this time of the year! Well where I live it is normal for about half the year which is winter. I have filed a couple of mine down in the last couple of weeks as well as tweaked the truss rods on all of mine in the last little while. I just look at it as part of maintenance to keep my guitars in top working order.

• Members
It's not that I don't think I could file them down. I was just hoping there would be an easier way.

I'm gonna try a humidifier for now.
Proper humidity for instruments is 40% to 60%. If you are under 40% or even close you will notice fret issues and many other problems will develop over time

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mockchoi View Post
Hard to say. Is it fret spout? In that case you could try humidifying the guitar. Otherwise, filing fret ends is really not a real big deal.
lol

Quote Originally Posted by lz4005 View Post
Get a humidifier. Frets stick out more when wood shrinks due to dry winter air.
lol. Yeah because the whole world lives in a dry climate during the winter.

It's not that I don't think I could file them down. I was just hoping there would be an easier way.

I'm gonna try a humidifier for now.
lol.

Quote Originally Posted by megawzrd View Post

Yeah, because what you really want is to soften up the wood. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleH View Post
If it it's rosswood use some lemmon oil on it. Just lay the guitar flat and rub enough on with your finger so you can see a nice layer. Do it again in about 20 min. It will not take up more than it needs.
Then just wipe it down and string her up. Day or two they will be gone.
lol.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try lemon oil when I change the strings tonight!
There you go. If that doesn't work, just jump into a hot tub with the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky View Post
how about taking the guitar into the bathroom with you when you take a shower?
Ha. You beat me to it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples View Post
lol

lol. Yeah because the whole world lives in a dry climate during the winter.

lol.

Yeah, because what you really want is to soften up the wood. lol.

lol.

There you go. If that doesn't work, just jump into a hot tub with the guitar.

Ha. You beat me to it.
lol

Archived