Who can build this prototype guitar, and how much would it cost?

John Backlund

• Members

In the coming year, I hope to have two to three of my guitar designs built as one-off prototypes, probably beginning with this one, the Backlund 700....
original_158996_dbwjfmnAT41Vkjrjybr8tmqz

A few details:

Possibly could utilize a custom inletted Warmoth body blank.

One example guitar, for my own use only, mostly as a personal display model, and possible future use as a template for reproductions.

It can be a bolt-on or set neck.

I do not want it painted, I have an excellent painter to do that.

I will furnish all electronics and hardware (different bridge than the one shown), though it should be delivered with these components removed for the painter.

Final assembly and set-up will be done at my end.

Any thoughts?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post
That's awesome, Johnthumb.gif

I've been out of the loop, but don't you have Bruce to do that stuff?
The J. Backlund Design company generally builds designs of mine that it wants to build, or has time and finances to build, not neccesarilly what I want to build for myself. Many of my guitar designs are probably not commercially viable, but that doesn't mean that I woudn't want certain examples of them constructed. I need to accumulate as many of my guitar designs as I possibly can in order to be able to have enough of them to display in perhaps an art show of my work in this area of design. As it is now, after six years, I still only have two guitars of my design in my possession, a JBD-100, and a JBD-200.

Time waits for no man, as they say, and as it is, I feel I'll be 200 years old before I will aquire examples of the other two JBD models in current production, so for some of my more obscure designs at least, I'll look elsewhere to try to make them become a reality, if only a single example of each. They are NOT for resale purposes, unless my wife would choose to sell them from my estate after I kick the bucket.

I currently have a Backlund 1100 Marz 6 under construction from a builder in the Netherlands, so at least that's one of my more eccentric models that will make it to wood, but I'm now going to actively seek other means to try to get a few more of them made for myself, at least as many as my limited finances will allow.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post
That's awesome, Johnthumb.gif

I've been out of the loop, but don't you have Bruce to do that stuff?
The J. Backlund Design company generally builds designs of mine that it wants to build, or has time and finances to build, not neccesarilly what I want to build for myself. Many of my guitar designs are probably not commercially viable, but that doesn't mean that I woudn't want certain examples of them constructed. I need to accumulate as many of my guitar designs as I possibly can in order to be able to have enough of them to display in perhaps an art show of my work in this area of design. As it is now, after six years, I still only have two guitars of my design in my possession, a JBD-100, and a JBD-200.

Time waits for no man, as they say, and as it is, I feel I'll be 200 years old before I will aquire examples of the other two JBD models in current production, so for some of my more obscure designs at least, I'll look elsewhere to try to make them become a reality, if only a single example of each. They are NOT for resale purposes, unless my wife would choose to sell them from my estate after I kick the bucket.

I currently have a Backlund 1100 Marz 6 under construction from a builder in the Netherlands, so at least that's one of my more eccentric models that will make it to wood, but I'm now going to actively seek other means to try to get a few more of them made for myself, at least as many as my limited finances will allow.

• Members

Just for a one off I don't think you need a CNC.
What do you want the body made of, basswood? You said all hardware...do you have the pickguard and that truss rod cover ?

For a neck you can just order one with a paddle headstock and cut to shape.

I don't thionk it would be hard to build that if you have the plastic bits.

• Members

Just for a one off I don't think you need a CNC.
What do you want the body made of, basswood? You said all hardware...do you have the pickguard and that truss rod cover ?

For a neck you can just order one with a paddle headstock and cut to shape.

I don't thionk it would be hard to build that if you have the plastic bits.

• Members

Due to the unique look of this guitar where the neck meets the body, perhaps you could talk to some colleges in the area that may have access to a 3d printer.
This design would work as a neck through made from composite material.

Plus, if you find the right school, some student may do it for free as long as he can use it for a cad programming or materials engineering grade?
One hand washes the other that way.

• Members

Due to the unique look of this guitar where the neck meets the body, perhaps you could talk to some colleges in the area that may have access to a 3d printer.

Plus, if you find the right school, some student may do it for free as long as he can use it for a cad programming or materials engineering grade?
One hand washes the other that way.

• Members

The pickguard, if that's what you're calling it on this guitar could be made by someone in the vinyl/plastics graphics business. They are using all different types of materials these days. You've likely seen some of the vehicle wraps they are making these days, so your guitar top would not be difficult.

• Members

The pickguard, if that's what you're calling it on this guitar could be made by someone in the vinyl/plastics graphics business. They are using all different types of materials these days. You've likely seen some of the vehicle wraps they are making these days, so your guitar top would not be difficult.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Pariah View Post
My first thought, as well, only taking the easier route by buying a neck-through neck from Carvin and doing the rest of the woodworking yourself.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Pariah View Post
My first thought, as well, only taking the easier route by buying a neck-through neck from Carvin and doing the rest of the woodworking yourself.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
The 'pickguard' will need to be aluminum with an engine-turned finish, then clear-coated to protect it from oxidation, unless it could be made from stainless steel, but I imagine that aluminum would be much easier to fabricate it from.

I can probably get the engine-turning done locally from a machinist club that builds miniature steam engines and related items, I often see engine-turned finishes burnished into some of their projects. If not, there are other places to have it done. Getting the 'pickguard' cut out shouldn't be too big of a problem from an accurate pattern either. In a pinch, I think I could make it myself if I had to.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
The 'pickguard' will need to be aluminum with an engine-turned finish, then clear-coated to protect it from oxidation, unless it could be made from stainless steel, but I imagine that aluminum would be much easier to fabricate it from.

I can probably get the engine-turning done locally from a machinist club that builds miniature steam engines and related items, I often see engine-turned finishes burnished into some of their projects. If not, there are other places to have it done. Getting the 'pickguard' cut out shouldn't be too big of a problem from an accurate pattern either. In a pinch, I think I could make it myself if I had to.

Archived