Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who can build this prototype guitar, and how much would it cost?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can build this prototype guitar, and how much would it cost?

In the coming year, I hope to have two to three of my guitar designs built as one-off prototypes, probably beginning with this one, the Backlund 700....

A few details:

Possibly could utilize a custom inletted Warmoth body blank.

One example guitar, for my own use only, mostly as a personal display model, and possible future use as a template for reproductions.

It can be a bolt-on or set neck.

I do not want it painted, I have an excellent painter to do that.

I will furnish all electronics and hardware (different bridge than the one shown), though it should be delivered with these components removed for the painter.

Final assembly and set-up will be done at my end.

Any thoughts?

That's awesome, John

I've been out of the loop, but don't you have Bruce to do that stuff?

Incidentally, I can build it...since I have no woodworking or luthier skills and I'm essentially mechanically retarded, I'd do it for $13.50.

Comment

That's awesome, John

Incidentally, I can build it...since I have no woodworking or luthier skills and I'm essentially mechanically retarded, I'd do it for $13.50.

Comment

Create the body life size on paper, and send it to someone with a CNC. Might be cheaper than Warmoth.
        www.HarmonicaBoogie.com

Comment

Create the body life size on paper, and send it to someone with a CNC. Might be cheaper than Warmoth.
          www.HarmonicaBoogie.com

Comment

Do you have full out dimensions or 3D rendering at size so CAD could make CNC paths?
            www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

Do you have full out dimensions or 3D rendering at size so CAD could make CNC paths?
              www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
                View Post

That's awesome, John

The J. Backlund Design company generally builds designs of mine that it wants to build, or has time and finances to build, not neccesarilly what I want to build for myself. Many of my guitar designs are probably not commercially viable, but that doesn't mean that I woudn't want certain examples of them constructed. I need to accumulate as many of my guitar designs as I possibly can in order to be able to have enough of them to display in perhaps an art show of my work in this area of design. As it is now, after six years, I still only have two guitars of my design in my possession, a JBD-100, and a JBD-200.

Time waits for no man, as they say, and as it is, I feel I'll be 200 years old before I will aquire examples of the other two JBD models in current production, so for some of my more obscure designs at least, I'll look elsewhere to try to make them become a reality, if only a single example of each. They are NOT for resale purposes, unless my wife would choose to sell them from my estate after I kick the bucket.

I currently have a Backlund 1100 Marz 6 under construction from a builder in the Netherlands, so at least that's one of my more eccentric models that will make it to wood, but I'm now going to actively seek other means to try to get a few more of them made for myself, at least as many as my limited finances will allow.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
                  View Post

That's awesome, John

The J. Backlund Design company generally builds designs of mine that it wants to build, or has time and finances to build, not neccesarilly what I want to build for myself. Many of my guitar designs are probably not commercially viable, but that doesn't mean that I woudn't want certain examples of them constructed. I need to accumulate as many of my guitar designs as I possibly can in order to be able to have enough of them to display in perhaps an art show of my work in this area of design. As it is now, after six years, I still only have two guitars of my design in my possession, a JBD-100, and a JBD-200.

Time waits for no man, as they say, and as it is, I feel I'll be 200 years old before I will aquire examples of the other two JBD models in current production, so for some of my more obscure designs at least, I'll look elsewhere to try to make them become a reality, if only a single example of each. They are NOT for resale purposes, unless my wife would choose to sell them from my estate after I kick the bucket.

I currently have a Backlund 1100 Marz 6 under construction from a builder in the Netherlands, so at least that's one of my more eccentric models that will make it to wood, but I'm now going to actively seek other means to try to get a few more of them made for myself, at least as many as my limited finances will allow.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall
                    View Post

I could probably do this, and should learn to do it anyway.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall
                      View Post

I could probably do this, and should learn to do it anyway.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher
                        View Post

No, not at this point, but I shoud be able to work out the dimensions in detail without too much of a problem.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher
                          View Post

No, not at this point, but I shoud be able to work out the dimensions in detail without too much of a problem.

Comment

Just for a one off I don't think you need a CNC.

What do you want the body made of, basswood? You said all hardware...do you have the pickguard and that truss rod cover ?

For a neck you can just order one with a paddle headstock and cut to shape.

I don't thionk it would be hard to build that if you have the plastic bits.

Comment

Just for a one off I don't think you need a CNC.

What do you want the body made of, basswood? You said all hardware...do you have the pickguard and that truss rod cover ?

For a neck you can just order one with a paddle headstock and cut to shape.

I don't thionk it would be hard to build that if you have the plastic bits.

Comment

Working...
                              X