NGD: Amazon Schecter Corsair with Bigsby Gloss Walnut...

Chad

• Members

I checked out the guitar over my lunch break and only got to spend about 15 minutes with it. Beautiful guitar! A few observations/comments:

1. It was packed in an angled sort of box within the main box. The angled box had a mini yellow post-it note that said "Twist Tie" handwritten with a pencil. The top of the angled box also had handwritten "Amazon" and the serial number on it. Strange. I've heard some people speculate that maybe Amazon has Schecter allocate them specific inventory (lower priced & perhaps lower quality builds?) and this does make me wonder.

2. The fingerboard sure looks like rosewood instead of ebony. The grain structure, pores, color, etc....yeah, look like rosewood. I'll give it a look under brighter lighting when I get a chance.

3. Pickups seemed rather dark...especially the neck pickup. On the neck pickup, I think I like the split sound better than the humbucking. Will spend more time with it, but after just a few minutes, I'm thinking a pickup swap might be in order.

4. Weight = 8.5 pounds.

Thoughts?

Inside my house is terrible for taking pictures and I'm usually at work during daylight hours. This lame pic is all I can do for now:

corsair_zpsd1f2e373.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've no experience with the Corsair, but your comments remind me of the Pete Dee Schecter I bought from Amazon last year...the p'ups(incidentally, the same that they put on the PT) I found to be very lacking.

As for the fretboard...Amazon's famous for inaccurate descriptions.

All that said, the Corsairs are well-loved here and, IMO, one of the nicer looking Schecters...after you spend a little time with it, I sincerely hope you dig it-HNGD!

• Members

I've no experience with the Corsair, but your comments remind me of the Pete Dee Schecter I bought from Amazon last year...the p'ups(incidentally, the same that they put on the PT) I found to be very lacking.

As for the fretboard...Amazon's famous for inaccurate descriptions.

All that said, the Corsairs are well-loved here and, IMO, one of the nicer looking Schecters...after you spend a little time with it, I sincerely hope you dig it-HNGD!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
3. Pickups seemed rather dark...especially the neck pickup. On the neck pickup, I think I like the split sound better than the humbucking. Will spend more time with it, but after just a few minutes, I'm thinking a pickup swap might be in order.

Thoughts?
Really hard to beat Seth Lovers.

• Members

Thoughts?
Really hard to beat Seth Lovers.

• Members

Welcome to the club. I posted my Corsair NGD thread only a few days ago. I too thought the fretboard looked like rosewood, but after closer inspection, I think the pores are too tight. I do think it may not be a lighter ebony and was stained to darken it.

I like the pickups for what they are, especially with dirt, but they wil eventually go... When I am ready to deal with a semihollow pup swap. facepalm.gif

I think I will use the Tonerider Alnico Classic IVs I have collecting dust. What were you thinking of swapping in?

And yes, it is a brick, but a toneful brick

• Members

Welcome to the club. I posted my Corsair NGD thread only a few days ago. I too thought the fretboard looked like rosewood, but after closer inspection, I think the pores are too tight. I do think it may not be a lighter ebony and was stained to darken it.

I like the pickups for what they are, especially with dirt, but they wil eventually go... When I am ready to deal with a semihollow pup swap. facepalm.gif

I think I will use the Tonerider Alnico Classic IVs I have collecting dust. What were you thinking of swapping in?

And yes, it is a brick, but a toneful brick

• Members

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I guess after looking the guitar over closer and comparing it to some of my guitars with rosewoods fretboards, it is darker and the grain is tighter. And it does look the same as depicted on the Schecter site.

I still don't have hardly any playing time on the guitar, so I'll spend more time with it before going on a full blown pickup hunt. But right now, I'd think about something PAF based from Duncan or possibly Filtertrons. Somebody in another thread mentioned Dimarzio EJ Customs. I'd never even heard of them before, but I checked out the description and they sound like a possibility.

Anybody else have handwritten post-it notes and other handwritten notes with their Amazon purchased Corsair?

• Members

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I guess after looking the guitar over closer and comparing it to some of my guitars with rosewoods fretboards, it is darker and the grain is tighter. And it does look the same as depicted on the Schecter site.

I still don't have hardly any playing time on the guitar, so I'll spend more time with it before going on a full blown pickup hunt. But right now, I'd think about something PAF based from Duncan or possibly Filtertrons. Somebody in another thread mentioned Dimarzio EJ Customs. I'd never even heard of them before, but I checked out the description and they sound like a possibility.

Anybody else have handwritten post-it notes and other handwritten notes with their Amazon purchased Corsair?

• Members

There was a half-eaten cup o' noodles in my Pete Dee box...along with a subway wrapper, a Swisher Sweet and something that looked like poi...I assumed they were the case candy and I still have them...

• Members

There was a half-eaten cup o' noodles in my Pete Dee box...along with a subway wrapper, a Swisher Sweet and something that looked like poi...I assumed they were the case candy and I still have them...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

ha! I noticed Amazon is down to just one Pete Dee remaining in stock. Somebody has been buying those things lately. From the sounds of it, they may end up bummed out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

ha! I noticed Amazon is down to just one Pete Dee remaining in stock. Somebody has been buying those things lately. From the sounds of it, they may end up bummed out.

• Members

More info:

--Intonation was way off. Every saddle needed to be moved a good amount towards the neck.

--Bridge pickup measures 8.7. Neck pickup measures 7.6. This was measured at the output jack with all pots set to "10". I know it's best to measure the pickups completely out of the circuit, but this gets close.

--Factory installed strings are 10-46 gauge.

--Nut height seems rather high. Probably gonna bring the slots down some.

• Members

More info:

--Intonation was way off. Every saddle needed to be moved a good amount towards the neck.

--Bridge pickup measures 8.7. Neck pickup measures 7.6. This was measured at the output jack with all pots set to "10". I know it's best to measure the pickups completely out of the circuit, but this gets close.

--Factory installed strings are 10-46 gauge.

--Nut height seems rather high. Probably gonna bring the slots down some.

Archived