Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: Amazon Schecter Corsair with Bigsby Gloss Walnut...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Amazon Schecter Corsair with Bigsby Gloss Walnut...

I checked out the guitar over my lunch break and only got to spend about 15 minutes with it. Beautiful guitar! A few observations/comments:

1. It was packed in an angled sort of box within the main box. The angled box had a mini yellow post-it note that said "Twist Tie" handwritten with a pencil. The top of the angled box also had handwritten "Amazon" and the serial number on it. Strange. I've heard some people speculate that maybe Amazon has Schecter allocate them specific inventory (lower priced & perhaps lower quality builds?) and this does make me wonder.

2. The fingerboard sure looks like rosewood instead of ebony. The grain structure, pores, color, etc....yeah, look like rosewood. I'll give it a look under brighter lighting when I get a chance.

3. Pickups seemed rather dark...especially the neck pickup. On the neck pickup, I think I like the split sound better than the humbucking. Will spend more time with it, but after just a few minutes, I'm thinking a pickup swap might be in order.

4. Weight = 8.5 pounds.

Thoughts?

Inside my house is terrible for taking pictures and I'm usually at work during daylight hours. This lame pic is all I can do for now:

HNGD! A good semi-HB is a thing to behold.
    Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

HNGD! A good semi-HB is a thing to behold.
      Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

Pics or it's one of these.

Comment

Pics or it's one of these.

Comment

I've no experience with the Corsair, but your comments remind me of the Pete Dee Schecter I bought from Amazon last year...the p'ups(incidentally, the same that they put on the PT) I found to be very lacking.

As for the fretboard...Amazon's famous for inaccurate descriptions.

All that said, the Corsairs are well-loved here and, IMO, one of the nicer looking Schecters...after you spend a little time with it, I sincerely hope you dig it-HNGD!

Comment

I've no experience with the Corsair, but your comments remind me of the Pete Dee Schecter I bought from Amazon last year...the p'ups(incidentally, the same that they put on the PT) I found to be very lacking.

As for the fretboard...Amazon's famous for inaccurate descriptions.

All that said, the Corsairs are well-loved here and, IMO, one of the nicer looking Schecters...after you spend a little time with it, I sincerely hope you dig it-HNGD!

Comment

No, I think it is ebony. Check out the Schecter page and zoom in on some of those photos. It looks the same.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/produ...r/Corsair.aspx

HNGD. I'd be interested to know what you were thinking on the pickup swap.

Comment

No, I think it is ebony. Check out the Schecter page and zoom in on some of those photos. It looks the same.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/produ...r/Corsair.aspx

HNGD. I'd be interested to know what you were thinking on the pickup swap.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chad
                    View Post

3. Pickups seemed rather dark...especially the neck pickup. On the neck pickup, I think I like the split sound better than the humbucking. Will spend more time with it, but after just a few minutes, I'm thinking a pickup swap might be in order.

Thoughts?

Really hard to beat Seth Lovers.
                    Vintage Sunburst Epi Dot Dlx: Seth Lover set | Red MIM Strat: Tonerider City Limits set; Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch | 3TS Classic Vibe 60s Strat: Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch | Ibanez SZ520QM: Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Zone | Fender Sonoran Bucket acoustic-electric | Fender Super Champ XD: Eminence Ragin' Cajun; JJ Tubes | Fender G-Dec III 30: Eminence Ragin' Cajun

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chad
                      View Post

Thoughts?

Really hard to beat Seth Lovers.
                      Vintage Sunburst Epi Dot Dlx: Seth Lover set | Red MIM Strat: Tonerider City Limits set; Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch | 3TS Classic Vibe 60s Strat: Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch | Ibanez SZ520QM: Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Zone | Fender Sonoran Bucket acoustic-electric | Fender Super Champ XD: Eminence Ragin' Cajun; JJ Tubes | Fender G-Dec III 30: Eminence Ragin' Cajun

Comment

Welcome to the club. I posted my Corsair NGD thread only a few days ago. I too thought the fretboard looked like rosewood, but after closer inspection, I think the pores are too tight. I do think it may not be a lighter ebony and was stained to darken it.

I like the pickups for what they are, especially with dirt, but they wil eventually go... When I am ready to deal with a semihollow pup swap.

I think I will use the Tonerider Alnico Classic IVs I have collecting dust. What were you thinking of swapping in?

And yes, it is a brick, but a toneful brick
                        My Gear
                        Schecter Corsair
                        TelePartsCaster x3
                        Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
                        Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
                        Vox VT15
                        Fender SCXD
                        Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
                        Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
                        Vox AC4C1 amp
                        Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

Welcome to the club. I posted my Corsair NGD thread only a few days ago. I too thought the fretboard looked like rosewood, but after closer inspection, I think the pores are too tight. I do think it may not be a lighter ebony and was stained to darken it.

I like the pickups for what they are, especially with dirt, but they wil eventually go... When I am ready to deal with a semihollow pup swap.

I think I will use the Tonerider Alnico Classic IVs I have collecting dust. What were you thinking of swapping in?

And yes, it is a brick, but a toneful brick
                          My Gear
                          Schecter Corsair
                          TelePartsCaster x3
                          Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
                          Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
                          Vox VT15
                          Fender SCXD
                          Yamaha THR5

For Sale: