Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strat trem springs vibrate when palm muting FIX!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat trem springs vibrate when palm muting FIX!

After upgrading to a Super Vee Bladerunner trem I backed off my springs a bit to let the bridge float as it is suppoed to

and discovered that when I plam mute the springs vibrate enough to come though the amp.

What to do?

All of a sudden it hit me.  In my dremel toolbox I have polishing wheels which are little 1" diameter cotton discs which

screw on to a separate shaft.  I popped one of these little duscs between the 3 springs and body and it is fixed!

You can buy a pack of these polishing wheels for probably $3 or $5 and Lowe's Home Depot or where ever.

DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

Awhile back there was a fix that use electrical shrink tubing (seen below). 
    One would slide one of these little tubes into each spring and that was the fix, and it worked for the vibrations.  The downside was that the tubes could add resistance to the springs and thus would through tuning off.
    I have not seen this part that you have used, so I can't really visualize how it works, but just a note of caution so that you keep an eye on your tuning as well.  If it's starts falling off pretty fast you know to think about your mod.
    Best

k

Attached Files
    Besides being a guitar player,
    I'm a big fan of the guitar.
    I love that damn instrument.
    -Steve Vai

Comment

• GilmourD
      GilmourD commented
      Editing a comment

Got any of that soft foam that comes in (or at least used to come in) Seymour Duncan pickup boxes? Take strips of that and put it inside the springs. Should eat some of that noise.

Working...
X