Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use a Rock guitar to play Jazz?

Do you find it appropriate to do this? I have played rock my whole life, but just started getting into jazz. My guitars are Fender Stratocasters and a Peavey Wolfgang, and I am pretty happy with them. I would hate to buy a jazz guitar because 1.) I do not care for the way they look 2.) Right now, I don't have the money for one.

Discuss.

There isn't a law against using a rock guitar for Jazz 0_o
    <div class="signaturecontainer">BOO!</div>

Comment

I'm happy to play any style with any of my guitars...it's not what it looks like that matters, it's what you do with it. I'll play rock, metal, jazz, blues, and maybe even a few country licks on any of my guitars, which include a Les Paul, a PRS Custom 24, and a Carvin DC127.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/pleatherNC" target="_blank">http://www.myspace.com/pleatherNC</a><br />
      <br />
      Gibson Les Paul Standard, PRS Custom 24, Schecter C-1 Artist Limited, Carvin DC-127<br />
      Marshall JCM900 2500 mkIII, Egnater Rebel 20, Porty City Wave 2x12<br />
      <br />
      Great transactions with thefyn, covy, DirtyChains, rog951, cursed1, rrancani, DracoAran, JerryP</div>

Comment

Do you find it appropriate to do this? I have played rock my whole life, but just started getting into jazz. My guitars are Fender Stratocasters and a Peavey Wolfgang, and I am pretty happy with them. I would hate to buy a jazz guitar because 1.) I do not care for the way they look 2.) Right now, I don't have the money for one.

Discuss.

use what you have. many favor a tele.I have a strat and it can be used but mostly I use my Tele or carvin. both solid bodies.

Comment

I'd love to hear a good Floyd Rose dive-bomb in a jazz tune.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">I made the mistake of including the name of the band I was in at the time I started my account here, but a lot of my friends really do call me &quot;gibby&quot;...<br />
          <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/gibby1117" target="_blank">My guitfiddle vidyas</a><br />
          Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Gibby McFender<br />
          <font size="1">Good trades with: jnapruitt, jelloman, emptyparadigm, teleman, atrox, Norcal_Gtr, Cale 76, Moops, Fart Murphy, gutterking, npidge, shimrod69, HickorySMOKES</font><br />
          <br />
          bassist for <a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/foolsforrowan" target="_blank">Fools For Rowan</a>. Check us out!</div>

Comment

a strat can get some sweet jazz tones. you don't necessarily need a "jazz" guitar to play jazz. (I assume you mean a thick full hollow body with a cutaway)
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Guitars/Bass:<br />
            '87 Gibson U2<br />
            Fender California Strat in Fiesta Red<br />
            Oscar Schmidt OE30 Delta King<br />
            1970s Giannini classical acoustic<br />
            SX SJB-75C<br />
            <br />
            Amps:<br />
            Fender Stage 160 (soon to be something else, I hope!)<br />
            Marlboro 760A bass amp</div>

Comment

The "sound" of jazz has a lot to do with note choices so....
              __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

I use a Wood guitar myself.
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                "If you play guitar, you are a friend."

"Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country."

Comment

Why not?

If I were to play jazz I'd play it on my RG.

Comment

Well played.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">I made the mistake of including the name of the band I was in at the time I started my account here, but a lot of my friends really do call me &quot;gibby&quot;...<br />
                    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/gibby1117" target="_blank">My guitfiddle vidyas</a><br />
                    Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Gibby McFender<br />
                    <font size="1">Good trades with: jnapruitt, jelloman, emptyparadigm, teleman, atrox, Norcal_Gtr, Cale 76, Moops, Fart Murphy, gutterking, npidge, shimrod69, HickorySMOKES</font><br />
                    <br />
                    bassist for <a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/foolsforrowan" target="_blank">Fools For Rowan</a>. Check us out!</div>

Comment

• D Carroll
                      D Carroll commented
                      Editing a comment

depends if a tele is a rock guitar. 

A strat is good enough for Wayne Krantz, Leni Stern, Scott Henderson and Oz Noy.

Play whatever you want on whatever you please, it's the painting not the brush.
                    if you wan't to play more traditional styles, be aware though, that some purists musicians may find a strat inappropriately looking

Comment

I played some jazz on my Flying V last night at practice. Worked fine as far as I could tell.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="Gray"><font face="Arial Narrow">good deals w/ pbone, sh333, homestar_kevin, johnrambo, the future king, MrMunky, Iamtehcure, miggy01, hangwire, pfindeis, Virex, orangesix, PurpleStrat, Exdeath, nickthebrick, devi ever, Crxshdxmmy, heykenny, letsgocoyote, Scarlet Theory, Free the Guilty, fruvai, friendlybunny, yannickbasset, duderanimous, vintageroad, jgs61, Vinhoff, leer43, hurleysurf, zygoat, lewzer, sodium_23, M-dawg, thefragile103, Blewbyou, StopReferencing, itkindaworks, Amplifier Worship</font></font></div>

Comment

Why not?

If I were to play jazz I'd play it on my RG.

I does!

Signature...

Comment

I knew someone was going to do that.

Comment

my RG with a blues bucker in the neck has my favourite jazz tone from all my guitars..... a lot of jazz fusion guys use superstrats, its very common....
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font color="Purple"><br />
                            <br />
                            acoustic rig: Larrivee D-50, Stonebridge 32SM OM, Takamine EAC48 Santa Fe, Takamine John Jorgenson, Takamine EC132S Roland AC60<br />
                            <br />
                            electric rig:<br />
                            guitars: ESP CS strat, AJC LP, Ibanez RG1570, Godin Redline1, <br />
                            amps: Dr Z Z-28 head, Mesa F-30 head, Dr Z 2x10 convertible, Mesa Recto 2x12<br />
                            effects: EBVPJr, Korg Pitchblack, EHX English Muff'n, Diamond Fireburst, Diamond Compressor, Barber Burn Unit EQ, Maxon Phasetone, DLS Chorus Vib, EHX SMMH, Hardwire DL8, EHX Holier Grail</font></font></div>

Comment

Working...
                            X