Fender MIM Squier Series guitars

Lonnie99

• Members

I love these things. Same bodies and necks as "regular" MIM Fenders, less expensive hardware and electronics. To me the electronics sound the same so I don't care, just the crap tuners need to be changed. You can find them at giveaway prices as well. I picked this 94 up yesterday for $100 and am getting a 95 with a rosewood board tonight for $75. That's just silly.

423dd0b1aeaf058d0bc04b52169d607d.jpg

• Members

i own one. unfortunately, i bought it off Ebay ($125) and when i received it, it had a lot more wear and tear than i could tell from the photos. the frets were worn down, so i had to do a level. the tuners are indeed pretty bad and not very smooth.

i'm sure i would've been a lot more happy with it if it had been in better condition. still, after a little TLC, it played well and sounded good.

i ended up repainting it and putting in some D. Allen alnico pickups. I also went to a one volume, one tone configuration. This is what it looks like now:
DaphneBlueSquierStratfrontback.jpg

• Members

There's a bunch for cheap on my local CL right now but I still can't be bothered. From Squier to CS Fender I've always preferred a good Partscaster. Plus, these MIM Squiers need a bunch of upgrades before they're on par with a regular MIM - so why not just buy a MIM in the first place?

• Members

I disagree, the only real difference is the tuners. I've had at least 10 of the strats, only one Tele. They're much more rare. These are getting parted out on eBay. May keep the maple neck though...... Got the rosewood one torn down already. Most people don't know that until 2005 all the MIM bodies and necks were cut in the US and then sent to Ensenada for painting and assembly. The body on this one has the single CNC hole like the US bodies.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff

View Post

There's a bunch for cheap on my local CL right now but I still can't be bothered. From Squier to CS Fender I've always preferred a good Partscaster. Plus, these MIM Squiers need a bunch of upgrades before they're on par with a regular MIM - so why not just buy a MIM in the first place?

using that logic: a MIM needs a bunch of upgrades to be on par with a MIA, so why not just buy a MIA?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky View Post
using that logic: a MIM needs a bunch of upgrades to be on par with a MIA, so why not just buy a MIA?
Or to re-phrase; pickups are even more horrible than usual MIMs.
I think the nuances may be lost through the OP's amps though. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky

View Post

I'm not sure how my comparing a MIM to a MIM is the same as comparing a MIM to a MIA, but whatever. People buy MIM Squiers because they feel like they're getting a sweet deal on a MIM Fender when they really aren't.

• Members

Of course they are. Change the tuners and you've got virtually the same quality guitar. I've owned close to 150 MIM Fenders, torn every one of them apart and put them back together. Both of these have the same pickups as regular MIM Fenders.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie99

View Post

Of course they are. Change the tuners and you've got virtually the same quality guitar. I've owned close to 150 MIM Fenders, torn every one of them apart and put them back together. Both of these have the same pickups as regular MIM Fenders.

Crazy - I always heard that they, like the MIA Squiers, were just Squier bits assembled in Mexico. Since you've had close to 150 I'll take your word as gospel.

• Members

VC, yes full size bodies. Until 2005 all the Fender bodies and necks for the Ensenada plant were cut in the US and shipped there for painting and assembly. I'm not just making this stuff up BTW, I got tired of all the rumors I heard as a noob and went directly to Fender for the info. You can also find these without the Squier Series logo, and they're called the Traditional Series. It's all marketing.......

Archived