I smeared bacon fat on my strat now it stinks

saintdel

• Members

Needing some lube on the fret board and strings for band practice that night and having left my can of finger ease spray elsewhere, I perused the immediately available lubricants and, well, bacon fat is good for a bunch of other stuff, so I dabbed some on there and it worked fine. Only now, a few days later, my fret board is starting to stink.

How can I get this {censored} off of here?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Needing some lube on the fret board and strings for band practice that night and having left my can of finger ease spray elsewhere, I perused the immediately available lubricants and, well, bacon fat is good for a bunch of other stuff, so I dabbed some on there and it worked fine. Only now, a few days later, my fret board is starting to stink.

The Strat stinks or the bacon grease stinks like Strat?

• Members

Geez, it's a simple question, how do I clean my fret board, and you guys are going off into outer space talking about heads in ovens and cornholes, neither of which I have any experience with. A guy shows a little ingenuity, a little improvisational elan, and he gets whacked. In my experience, bacon improves just about everything. It seemed like a reasonable choice, didn't work out completely satisfactorily, but so what? I read one of those old blues guys, Albert King or one of them, liked chicken fat for the same purpose. Go tell him to stick his head in an oven. Ask him what his "boyfriend" uses. 'Course I think he's dead now but whatever. As I see it, I'm just carrying on the grand old tradition of applying animal fat to a strat.

• Members

layer after layer of lemon oil is the only thing I know to tell you to try.

It might take the smell away, but if it doesn't I don't know if the smell of bacon and lemons would mix well....

• Members

Would that be Canadian bacon fat or regular bacon fat?

Bacon fat burns, so you can hold a match or lighter up to it. Canadian bacon is really just ham (not as much fat content) so you may need a propane torch to get it to burn off. That should take care of the problem.

Or put it on the floor and let your dogs lick it off.

Glad to be of help.

If that doesn't work, lighter fluid wiped on the fretboard should help.

Surfy

• Members

You {censored}ing rat:lol:

What were you smoking dude.

Archived