Fender Mustang 3?

Angelojf

• Members

Old school player here, don't trust myself that I know too much about technology. Was almost settled on getting a Blues Jr., but this Mustang 3 is very tempting.

Do you guys who use the Mustang 3 like it? I play mostly clean tones in blues, jazz, and old rock and roll (I really like the sound of guitar recirds of the 50's). I like the tube amps, but was impressed when I play the Mustang. The Mustang is cheaper, and I'm thinking of taking a leap into 2011 by getting my hands dirty with the technology the Mustang 3 has to offer.

But tell me about the learning curve in terms of using this amp, for old schoolers. I want to play the guitar and not spend way too much time with tech issues.

Are the features of the Mustang 3 easy to learn?

Thanks

• Members

I have a mustang 2 (and several tube amps).

The mustang pretty much nails the important fender amps. The other models are ok, but they aren't my thing really - I like clean/slighty overdriven fender amps, tweed, blackface and silverface - love 'em all. I use my mustang in my basement, have had a band practice with it, and record with it direct - it works incredibly well. If I were to gig with it, I'd probably get the Mustang 3.

As far as the learning curve, you really do need to plug into a computer and use the Fuse software to get the tones right. The M3 has a better interface then the M2, so perhaps you could just use the knobs and get the tones you like.

• Members

I've got a III and love it. Best SS amp I've tried over the years. With the better LCD panel on the top of the amp, it's pretty easy to do any tweaking you might desire right on the amp. I have the software installed and have looked at it, but have really not taken the time to do anything with it. This amp rocks right outta da box.

• Members

Out of the Mustangs, the 3 is the sweet spot IMO.

edit - For the setting up part.. whether or not it'd be easy or hard you should learn it. You were able to sign up to this forum right? It can't be that hard.. and modellers these days are pretty intuitive (similar to adjusting pedals) and it's a handy skill to have. It's not that hard. :)

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I got my mustang 3 last week and took it to a gig the next day.  I play country rock and blues. Most of the presets have way too much distortion or high gain so I had to do a lot of tweeking on the fly. You have to get the four button swith for gigging. The voulume seemed to keep up but again it took a lot of knob twisting. I've just started to get into the heavey tweeking (bias, gate, ext.) but it shure does take time. all in all i'm not sold on it yet but for the price I guess you can't go wrong. I'm takeing it out this week again to see what it does as I figure it out more. Oh, also the speaker is very tight sounding but i've been told that it takes a time to breack it in. I don't know what that means but i'll keep at it. peace

• Members

Angelojf wrote:

Thanks guys. Much appreciated! And thanks to IbanezJon for the vote of confidence. Might have to get that 4 button switch, too, Crisco. Theres a M3 new I can get for $240 new, and I just might get it....

$240 for a mustang III is a real no brainer.  If you don't do it, well, I just might have to react like people did when this forum changed.

Archived