Epiphone 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special (P-90)

GAS Man

• Members

Just thought it's time to reprise this topic

11061506768-front-l.jpg

11061506768-detail1-l.jpg

11061506404-front-l.jpg

11061506404-body-l.jpg

11041512788-body-l.jpg

11041512788-detail2-l.jpg

11081511915-front-l.jpg

11081511915-body-l.jpg

11081511915-detail7-l.jpg

Specification Detail

Body Material Mahogany

Top Material Not Applicable

Body Finish Gloss

Color TV Yellow

Neck Material Mahogany, Set

Neck Shape D, '60s Slim Taper

Scale Length 24.75"

Fingerboard Material Rosewood

Fingerboard Inlay White Dot

Number of Frets 22

Nut Width 1.68"

Bridge/Tailpiece Wraparound Lightning Bar

Tuners Wilkinson Vintage 14:1 with Ivory Buttons

Number of Pickups 2

Neck Pickup Alnico P-90R Single-coil

Middle Pickup No middle pickup

Bridge Pickup Alnico P-90T Single-coil

Controls 2 x volume, 2 x tone

Case Included 50th Anniversary padded gig Bag

$399

Personally, I think I like the ebony best with the white a close second.

• Members

Bummer that the fretboard is rosewood. I want baked maple.

Nah man, hold out for dyed obeche! :D

Folks, the demand for these will be skyrocketing as new Gibson owners will need them for parts since the Chinese factories can still get rosewood and ebony fb blanks. So get yours now! ;)

• Members

The name of this guitar does not make any sense. Epiphone's association with Gibson started in 1957. I would have thought an anniversary Epiphone would have been made in 2007. And it would be a reissue of a guitar that was made at the Gibson factory in 1957 such as the Sheraton.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Anyone have one of these yet?

No, but I played a couple at Banjo Mart the other day. Very nice- they play and sound great. I'm a P90 fan so just for grins I tried out all the LP and SG Tributes they had in the store (about 3 each), and the Epis were better than half of them. They were as good as the other half. Seriously- these things are really nicely made, as opposed to the indifferent QC of the low end Gibsons. I too wish they had a tune-o-matic, though.

• Members

Welp. I just ordered one. We shall see what we shall see! My SG Junior has a wraparound, and it's fine. My luck (and patience) with Gibson has me leery of waiting for a Classic, but if this doesn't rock da Casbah, then perhaps I'll wait for the money for the Gibson.

• Members

On a related note, WTF is up with that nasty yellow paint over black finish Epi is using lately, including on this guitar? It looks horrible in person, like baby poop streaked over ebony. Is that intentional, or just the closest they can get to TV Yellow at these prices?

• Members

I don't have one of those, but I have one of these

EpiLPSpecial.jpg

I bought it last year when GC blew them out for $299 (I think I payed $270 with coupon) and I don't think I ever found a better bang for buck guitar. P90s sound very good, Grovers and TOM. Stays in tune. I own a Gibson LP Special (98 I think) and this is very close. My finish isn't the taxi cab yellow sone of them had, but a very nice semi-transparent TV yellow gloss poly finish. Frets and neck are perfect. I don't know if I just lucked out and got a good one, but I like it a lot. I do wish it had neck binding like the SGs.

• Members

I canceled my order in favour of waiting for a real Gibby. I figure I'll give them a chance. BTW, from what I can tell, the Gibby SG Classic's p'ups are the same configuration, with the neck p'up closer to the bridge than you'd see on a Standard.

Archived