Telecaster, moving from 9's to 10's issue

smudge_lad

• Members

Hey guys,

So my USA Tele came from the shop with 9's on, around June last year, but I've decided I need 10's, same as my other Tele and LP.

I've put the low E string on, and it's clear that something is wrong. Fret 2 and 3 are buzzing heavily when fingered, and fret 1 doesn't even give me a note - it just rattles!

Is this a truss rod issue, or can this be fixed by adjusting the saddles? Also, I wondered if my nut might need filed slightly to allow for the slightly thicker strings?

Pretty sure I might have to take it along to my tech buddy to sort for me, but thought I should maybe give it a go myself, or else I'll never learn, eh?

• Members

This sounds backwards. 10s would add tension to the neck which should have the opposite affect, lifting the strings higher off the fretboard.

If it's tuned low that would explain it, but it sounds like something knocked your neck out of whack. Are the screws holding the neck on loose?

• Members

Typically, issues at the first few frets are nut related.

It's not a hard rule, but if you wrap your hand around the neck at the nut, the frets you cover usually have issues dealing with the nut, if you grab the neck at the neck joint, the issues are usually saddle related, and everything inbetween is truss rod.

• Members

smudge_lad wrote:

Hey guys,

So my USA Tele came from the shop with 9's on, around June last year, but I've decided I need 10's, same as my other Tele and LP.

I've put the low E string on, and it's clear that something is wrong. Fret 2 and 3 are buzzing heavily when fingered, and fret 1 doesn't even give me a note - it just rattles!

Is this a truss rod issue, or can this be fixed by adjusting the saddles? Also, I wondered if my nut might need filed slightly to allow for the slightly thicker strings?

Pretty sure I might have to take it along to my tech buddy to sort for me, but thought I should maybe give it a go myself, or else I'll never learn, eh?

Put all the the strings on.  Stretch them  out.  Bring them up to standard pitch.  If you still have the problem, the guitar likely has a setup issue.

This could be solved by properly adjusting the truss rod.  Or, it could turn out that you've got a warped neck.

• Members

Your neck needs the tension from all the strings.  Of course it will buzz until you put the others on.  Not to be a **bleep** but I guarantee it will be fine if you do so.  You may even find the action high and have to adjust the truss rod.  If you do, an 1/8 of a turn is plenty.

Archived