Post your PRS SE's

BryanMichael

• Members

Due to my recent surgery, I am selling off all of my electrics and replacing them with two PRS SE's. One has arrived, the other will arrive tomorrow. I've sold my Gibson Les Paul and are moving on to my Epi LP and two Michael Kelly's to sell...and I must say I am BLOWN AWAY by the PRS SE's - I had no idea they were this nice for the $$$, which is why I am going with them. So, I'll post my two tomorrow...what do you guys have?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've played a few that were a bit uninspiring but most that I've played were very decent in my opinion.

Only one I've had is a first year Santana SE (made in Japan). The stock pickups were covered and very decent - in fact, I'm saving them for another project at some point. I put a set of Mean 90s in as I didn't have a P90 guitar.

Mine had one slightly high fret on the high E and B side, other than that, it's absolutely perfect.

No good pics though.

P1060448a1.jpg

• Members

Don't have it anymore, but the Custom 24 on the left was a great player:

Group1.jpg

Also had a couple of SC SEs, again both great players:

PRS001.jpg

001.jpg

I would not hesitate to grab another SE down the road - the wide-fat necks are awesome. Maybe next year I'll go after a 245...

• Members

These are old photos (need to take some new ones), but the guitars still look the same.

PRSSESoapbarII13.jpg

PRSSEEG2.jpg

The SoapbarII is bone stock. Plan to replace the pups with BG Pure 90s someday, but in no rush, the stockers are tame but sweet.

The EG has GFS Neovins (Mega Texas), which makes all the difference. Couldn't stand the stockers, they were loud in all the wrong ways. The Neovins aren't perfect, but they fit the guitar pretty well, and they'll probably stay put.

Just got a Benford strat, figured it would be time to part ways with the EG, but they feel and sound totally different - and awesome! They're both keepers.

Often tempted by other P90 axes, and likely will pick up another, but again, doubt I'll turn the SoapbarII loose.

The wide-fat neck is a big part of it for me. And the build quality is great. And I like the designs. And they're really light for mahog. And the tones are awesome, though it takes a pup swap to bring out the best of them. I guess this makes me a fan-boy. I'm OK with that.

HNSEDx2!!

• Members

I've played a few that were a bit uninspiring but most that I've played were very decent in my opinion.

Only one I've had is a first year Santana SE (made in Japan). The stock pickups were covered and very decent - in fact, I'm saving them for another project at some point. I put a set of Mean 90s in as I didn't have a P90 guitar.

Mine had one slightly high fret on the high E and B side, other than that, it's absolutely perfect.

No good pics though.

P1060448a1.jpg

I've got the same guitar -- in fact mine's one of the very first, s/n B00005 -- and it's also retrofitted with HB-sized P90s -- Kent Armstrong, to be precise. I love it -- the wide/fat neck is SUPERB and the trem is as stable, tuning-wise, as ANY trem I've ever used. I think of mine as a Les Paul Special which gives me a Townshend-style Leeds/Woodstock/IoW tone ... plus a Stratty trem.

• Members

Nice! I guess I've always had kind of a bias toward PRS's. I've played "the real things" that friends had, but was never fond of the birds and ornamentation.

The EG I got already has the stock pickups swapped for Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups, and I will be swapping the singlecut humbuckers for my combination that I have in my Epi (Benedetto A6 neck, Fralin High-Output Bridge) and returning it to stock for the sale.

• Members

Hey guys, i've been gassing for a strat like tone lately. Any reason those EG guitars can be found for so cheap? I've seen a few for under 2 bills on Guitar Center's used section over the last few months. I'm seriously considering one, as i like the looks a lot more than a normal strat.

• Members
Hey guys, i've been gassing for a strat like tone lately. Any reason those EG guitars can be found for so cheap? I've seen a few for under 2 bills on Guitar Center's used section over the last few months. I'm seriously considering one, as i like the looks a lot more than a normal strat.

If you see one for under $250, take it. It's a great guitar. I love the neck on the SE EG.

Archived