Fender and their lame acoustics?

billybilly

• Members

Why?  No market?  I doubt it...  I know they own Guild but any acoustic with a Fender logo on it is usually pretty lame.  I don't even think they have one decent one?

Conversely, I like Gibson acoustics better than their electrics.

I was just thinking about it and thought I would throw it out there.

• Members

reverberlayed wrote:

The new
Fender Acoustic Custom Shop
is in New Hartford, Connecticut. If I'm not mistaken, that was also the location of the Guild factory. Hmmm

I didn't even know they made custom acoustics, not that I'm "all informed" or anything but I reckon not many people would be aware they do such a thing.

• Members

billybilly wrote:

Why?  No market?  I doubt it...  I know they own Guild but any acoustic with a Fender logo on it is usually pretty lame.  I don't even think they have one decent one?

Fender never earned the reputation for making great acoustic guitars.  Consequently, even their older acoustic guitars don't hold much value.  Some of their older acoustic models are decent.  Others are junk.

Fender didn't even bother to keep detailed records about their acoustic legacy.  So, it can be difficult to get complete information on many of their models.

My brother gave me a Fender Capistrano made in the 80's.  I think he paid about $200 for it used a few years ago.  It's pretty well made, has a solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides.  Made in Japan or Korea.  They changed locations in the middle of the year and didn't keep good records, so there's no way to know for certain.  

My brother banged it up and put a small hole through the soundboard.  I replaced the bridge saddle, raised it slightly and adjusted the intonation to get rid of string buzz in the open position.  It sounds great and is a decent player.  It looks funny IMO with that Fender Strat-style headstock and the neck is super thin for an acoustic, which is not my preference.  Still, you'd probably have to cherry pick in the $600 to $800 range to buy a comparable new acoustic from any number of companies.  I honestly don't know if you could get one this good from Fender today.  And, why would you want to?  The value drops like a rock once it enters the used market.  

capistrano

• Members

I have a Tim Armstrong Hellcat...it's decent but nothing special. I have no idea why, but you're all correct...Fender's acoustics line has been uninspiring and unremarkable. I'm racking my brain at the moment to think of a decent archtop Fender's made...

• Members

billybilly wrote:

That used to be the case.  Fender is making some very nice acoustic these days.  I bought one last year to take overseas with me, and I like it so much, it has replaced my Takamine as my main acoustic.  Mine was $300, and sounds/plays fantastic!  They also came out with a new American line that are very nice guitars, as well.  Sure, you can still find cheapies out there, but they have really stepped up their game.  I played a $400 12 string of theirs the other day, and nearly walked out of the shop with it.

• Members

steve_man wrote:

That used to be the case.  Fender is making some very nice acoustic these days.  I bought one last year to take overseas with me, and I like it so much, it has replaced my Takamine as my main acoustic. 
Mine was $300, and sounds/plays fantastic! 
They also came out with a new American line that are very nice guitars, as well.  Sure, you can still find cheapies out there, but they have really stepped up their game.  I played a $400 12 string of theirs the other day, and nearly walked out of the shop with it.

I'm sure it does, for a $300 dollar guitar but I bet it's no Martin. 

• Members

When my kid was looking for an acoustic last spring, we tried everything in his price range.

Mrs G was there, listening and without looking at what he was playing, she and I narrowed it down to two. Those two turned out to be a Fender Elvis Presley model and an Epi Masterbilt. The Epi ended up winning by a nose but the Fender was pretty decent.

Archived