Aims Telecaster

jagid

• Members

Built by Aims Instruments, Distributed and Promoted by Randall Instruments ca.1974-1976.
(Don Randall of Fender)

it sure does "very closely" resemble the Fender.

such a sweet `34 year old Telecaster, where are the survivors !... i've only seen 2 of these ever.
...is this the last one on the planet ?

AimsTelecaster.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by harold heckuba View Post
IIRC, Jerrypicker has one of those.

yep, jerry picker's is #2 of 2 i mentioned having ever seen. ( :
hope to see him chime in here sometime.

it's a long story that goes back to the begining of leo fender and don randall before cbs to after cbs into the mid `70s when G&L, Randall Instruments and this elusive Aims Instruments apparently decided they could bring back the quality cbs was destroying.
G&L makes a nice tele but it is far from a copy as the Aims was.

makes ya go humm' ... does me anyway.

AimsCatalog.jpg

Price Guide Preview

• Members

man, threads get swept under the rug faster around here than at home...

With a community this large I had hoped there would be others with a greater knowledge about this guitar than i have, or maybe I would find some other people interested in unearthing this some what overlooked piece of music history.

aims_randall.jpg

AimsCat2.jpg

Bring on those History Detectives ! smile.gif

• Members

jagid--Is that the original bridge mounting plate?

I notice that the guitar is strung "Top-mount", but that the bridge-plate seems to have holes for through-body stringing (Although it looks as if there are no holes through the body. Perhaps a trick of the light?)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by headless View Post
jagid--Is that the original bridge mounting plate?

I notice that the guitar is strung "Top-mount", but that the bridge-plate seems to have holes for through-body stringing (Although it looks as if there are no holes through the body. Perhaps a trick of the light?)
it's a generic/universal plate as you see it, the body has no string-thru holes.

the only parts i know of not to be original are the tone/vol knobs, i lost one while moving, still have one... the original's were flat top that shed all the chrome.
the bridge plate cover was missing when i bought it.

• Members

The only thing I can add is that a couple of shops used to tell the story that Aims was started by a couple of disgruntled ex-Ibanez and Elger employees in the 70's.

i always understood it to be fender employees.

heres a link to an old discussion about an aims bass.

discussion continued here

this is a HC Aims Tele Review from 2006, Jerry Picker.

he also has a photo of his tele around here somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

the lonely ol' Aims thread rapidly fell into the abyss, nothing anywhere really confirms who aims was... i supose it could just be a brand label and not actually named after any person, since the promo catalog image say's it is Manufactured By Randall Instruments Inc..

i also notice that the puzzle promo spells the name in "capitol letters" AIMS Instruments although the logo on the guitar is Aims "in script"

it's looking like we will never know, unless Don Randall himself or one of his employees/assocoiates from the `70s were ever to leave us the real answers before their all deceased.

welp...it's been an interesting trail to a dead end apparently... any additional research/information would be appreciated.

conclusion:

ca.1974 Aims Telecaster

Manufactured by Randall Instruments Inc.

Distributed by Randall Instruments Inc.

sawya'

Archived