X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks sheshy to me.

Comment

Cool looking guitar! Wears it's mojo well!!

Never heard of them before.
      Campbell UK-1
      http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
      https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

Comment

!!!
        My gear thread:
        http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1625196

www.myspace.com/zedthez
        www.myspace.com/pusserqchc
        www.myspace.com/distemperqchc
        www.myspace.com/rocketparkrip20042008
        webcast of ZED:
        http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2375190

Comment

jagid--Is that the original bridge mounting plate?

I notice that the guitar is strung "Top-mount", but that the bridge-plate seems to have holes for through-body stringing (Although it looks as if there are no holes through the body. Perhaps a trick of the light?)
          There's only two things I'm afraid of---women, and the the C7+9+11 Chord.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by headless
            View Post

jagid--Is that the original bridge mounting plate?

I notice that the guitar is strung "Top-mount", but that the bridge-plate seems to have holes for through-body stringing (Although it looks as if there are no holes through the body. Perhaps a trick of the light?)

it's a generic/universal plate as you see it, the body has no string-thru holes.

the only parts i know of not to be original are the tone/vol knobs, i lost one while moving, still have one... the original's were flat top that shed all the chrome.

the bridge plate cover was missing when i bought it.
            ~ OnwardThruTheFog ~

Comment

The only thing I can add is that a couple of shops used to tell the story that Aims was started by a couple of disgruntled ex-Ibanez and Elger employees in the 70's.
              Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)

Comment

I had a sunburst Aims Strat copy in the late '70's.
                It was a killer Strat. Great neck and great pups.
                My Guitars

PRS Singlecut
                PRS CE24 w/ piezo
                Floyd LP
                Fender Stratocaster
                Lucero classical
                Yamaha FG312 12 string

Comment

The only thing I can add is that a couple of shops used to tell the story that Aims was started by a couple of disgruntled ex-Ibanez and Elger employees in the 70's.

i always understood it to be fender employees.

heres a link to an old discussion about an aims bass.
                  discussion continued here

this is a HC Aims Tele Review from 2006, Jerry Picker.
                  he also has a photo of his tele around here somewhere.
                  ~ OnwardThruTheFog ~

Comment

i found that photo of jerry picker's aims telecaster, the only other one i have ever seen... he describes his as MIJ.
                    ... but this promotional image clearly say's "Randall Amplifiers and Aims Guitars Manufactured and Distributed by Randall Instruments, Inc." which was located in Irvine, California USA
                    ~ OnwardThruTheFog ~

Comment

the lonely ol' Aims thread rapidly fell into the abyss, nothing anywhere really confirms who aims was... i supose it could just be a brand label and not actually named after any person, since the promo catalog image say's it is Manufactured By Randall Instruments Inc..
                      i also notice that the puzzle promo spells the name in "capitol letters" AIMS Instruments although the logo on the guitar is Aims "in script"
                      it's looking like we will never know, unless Don Randall himself or one of his employees/assocoiates from the `70s were ever to leave us the real answers before their all deceased.
                      welp...it's been an interesting trail to a dead end apparently... any additional research/information would be appreciated.

conclusion:
                      ca.1974 Aims Telecaster
                      Manufactured by Randall Instruments Inc.
                      Distributed by Randall Instruments Inc.

sawya'
                      ~ OnwardThruTheFog ~

Comment

I think the guitars were MIJ imports and the amps USA made. Much more of a presence in the Western USA. Well, relatively speaking.
                        "Now we're going to play a Cecil Taylor tune"-Fred "Sonic" Smith

check out www.myspace.com/sonicsrendezvousband box set recommended!

Comment

no string thru body??

Comment

Aims guitars were manufactured at the Hoshino plant (Japan) circa the mid 70's, along with Ibanez, Elger and Penco guitars. For the most part, they shared the same bodies and hardware as Penco guitars. But the Penco's usually had nicer MOP inlay on the neck and also used MOP in it's name on the headstock. Thus, costing a few bucks more.

From what I remember, the Penco's were sold in the east and midwest USA, as they were distributed by the Philadelphia Music Exchange. Aims guitars were sold further west, as the distributor (Randall) was located in California.

Don't be confused by the fact that the ads for these Japanese copy guitars stated they were manufactured by a US company. These companies were simply distributors. There were very few of these distributors that actually did the full design and original prototypes in the USA. Univox (whose parent company was Unicord - which eventually became Korg) was one of the US companies that did their own design on traditional American-designed guitars.

Another US guitar company called Westbury Guitars did their own completely original designs and prototypes here in the USA. The first few hundred guitars were actually manufactured here. But Westbury (which was also a subsidiary of Unicord) quickly realized that they could reap larger profits by contracting a Japanese manufacturer, so they had the Matsumoku factory manufacture their guitars.

The reason that the American companies implied that they were the manufacturers of many of these Japanese-made copies was because they believed it would help them sell more guitars... plain and simple. There was a stigma attached to buying Japanese-made products back then because WWII was still fairly fresh in people's memories. Putting an American sounding name on the headstock and advertising these guitars as their own helped them sell better.

Props to mc5nrg for knowing his stuff!
                            Common-sewer of unrefined guitars

Comment

I have one that I bought new in 1975 or so (and still have it).
                              The neck is narrow and the fingerboard very flat.
                              I replaced the neck pup when it died.
                              The stock pups are by Maxon (MIJ), and as I recall, the dealer came straight out and told me the guitar was MIJ. I was shopping for a Tele, and these were about $100 less expensive and (according to the certified Aims-Randall dealer) of better quality than CBS-Fender stuff. When I look at what a 1974-5 Tele is worth today , I am reminded that I was a-stupid kid.

The AIMS is a fairly well-made rock of a guitar overall. However, the bridge position is such that good intonation (on mine) is achieved only at the extremes of backing-up the saddles. The whole toploader is rather rinky-dink. And, the original tuners could be better.

These do show up on Ebay occasionally. A like-new one was listed recently, and I was tempted.

Me as a kid with my new guitar:

And 2nd from left in a recent line-up:

"I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

What did that Aims Tele cost you brand new?

I'm guessing around $115.00?

I got my '75 Penco SG brand new for $110, which was ten bucks less than the actual price. The guy who owned the guitar store cut me a break because $110 was all I had to spend after cleaning out my savings account for my first electric guitar.
                                Common-sewer of unrefined guitars

Comment

Working...
                                X