Interesting Yamaha THR Demo

onelife

• Members

I think it's cool that Yamaha came up with this line of products.  Basically, it's a boombox modeling amp.  I think it's a useful niche.  It's very portable and powerful.

Personally, if I were going to spend $300 on a modeling amp, I'd get a Fender Mustang III instead of a Yamaha THR10.  But, the MIII is a 112 combo which is much bigger and heavier than a THR10 boombox-style amp.  

Obviously, the appeal of the THR10 is portability.  I just don't think those 2 little speakers would move enough air for me.  But, if I really wanted something small, portable and lightweight, with speakers, I'd certainly consider a THR.  

• Members

jrockbridge wrote:

Obviously, the appeal of the THR10 is portability.  I just don't think those 2 little speakers would move enough air for me.  But, if I really wanted something small, portable and lightweight, with speakers, I'd certainly consider a THR.  

I have a Yamaha piano with built in speakers and the drivers are approx 4" x 2". The fullness and clarity of the sound is surprising.

These days the size of the driver is only part of the overall speaker system and, from what I understand, the THR10 is amazingly loud and full sounding for the size of it.

• Members

Hi Jrock!

Well, your comment nailed something about the crucial difference and it's basically the size. I have both the MIII and the THR10. Both could be used as an audio interface (usb) with an on-screen editor,etc. but for reasons that i can't analyse, the THR works flawlessly and hassle free for many types of instruments and the MIII wasn't as easy to use or versatile. The MIII wouldn't work well with my DAW (i suspect something with the driver that I couldn't figure out. The THR was like install driver.. plug..tweak..go! I record digital drums (roland) with the flat setting. perfect. Bass has dedicated presets, For mics a small mic preamp into the flat setting works also. As an amp... the MIII wins but as a rcording tool, the THR is great. I can't tell what is best. I have no clue about the whole array of what's out there. I just know that the THR is all I use these days.

Archived