Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AzunigaToo
    started a topic Should I Trade '64 SG Jr for '78 Les Paul Pro

Should I Trade '64 SG Jr for '78 Les Paul Pro

What do you guys think? I hardly play the SG. When I do pull it out it is a lot of fun but I don't see myself gigging with it. Now the '78 Pro LP with 2 P90's. I think that will really growl! The SG is the one with only 1 P90.

As far as value (yes I know it is relative to what I think) I think the SG is about $3k - $3.5k and the LP Pro is in the $2k neighborhood.

What say you guys?

• SASQUATCH
    replied
    That is a poor generalisation, there are plenty of good Norlin guitars, and the late 70s and early 80s are some great guitars as well, the late 60s and the 70s LP will be the collectors of the future.

The higher end Sgs will hold good value, but unless you have a mint Sg Jr, with OHSC you won't accrue much value

And that my friend, with all due respect, is where you and I differ. I have played at least 25 Norlin era Gibsons, and maybe two of them were nice. The other 23 missed their calling in life as canoe paddles. Also, if you honestly think early 60's SG Juniors aren't going to rise in value, I disagree with you there as well. I remember when you could buy early 70's Jazzmasters & Jaguars for $350 or so any day of the week.......
    Ah well, if we all agreed on everything, wouldn't the world be boring!

Leave a comment:

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
    replied
    No way, those 70's era Norlin are terrible as a general rule,

That is a poor generalisation, there are plenty of good Norlin guitars, and the late 70s and early 80s are some great guitars as well, the late 60s and the 70s LP will be the collectors of the future.

The higher end Sgs will hold good value, but unless you have a mint Sg Jr, with OHSC you won't accrue much value

Leave a comment:

• SASQUATCH
    replied
    No way, those 70's era Norlin are terrible as a general rule, there are a few gems, but that SG Jr. is worth more now, and in 10 years it will be worth 5x what the Les Paul is. This is one of those deals you'll tell people about someday that start with "I could kick myself".

Leave a comment:

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
    replied
    I would not...no way...if I owned a 60's era Gibson, I'd never part with it....

Why?

Leave a comment:

• Flogger59
    replied
    Straight trade? No way, maybe your guitar and a grand. The Pro Deluxe had an ebony board, FWIW.

Leave a comment:

• steve_man
    replied
    I would not...no way...if I owned a 60's era Gibson, I'd never part with it....

Leave a comment:

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
    replied
    I checked some Gibson Les Paul Pro prices on Gbase and they were all the the 2G range, so basically the 'value' of the SG Jr. and the Pro are pretty close. And, just for comparison sake, Gruhn's pricing is usually on the high end of vintage market prices, too.

SG Jrs seem to not command much of a price, wheeras as basically any decent Les Paul does

Leave a comment:

• New Trail
    replied
    absolutely NOT!!!!

Gruhn has a 63 SG Jr. up for sale at $2850.....and the '78 ain't worth anywhere near that.....i don't care WHAT GC sell s them for.

i had one....nice guitar....but not worth 3 grand

I checked some Gibson Les Paul Pro prices on Gbase and they were all the the 2G range, so basically the 'value' of the SG Jr. and the Pro are pretty close. And, just for comparison sake, Gruhn's pricing is usually on the high end of vintage market prices, too.

Leave a comment:

• _pete_
    replied
    No. If you really want a 70s era LP, sell the SG and buy two or three of them.

D

This is the correct answer.

If you don't want the SG, sell it for what it's worth and buy the Les Paul you want.

Leave a comment:

• pekelnik
    replied
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• kwoods
    replied
    The Junior is worth a lot more.

If you want the Pro sell the Junior and buy the Pro. You'll end up with a lot of cash as well.

Yep....

Leave a comment:

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
    replied
    That's a Pro Deluxe, not a Pro(fessional)

I just call em by the tr covers

Leave a comment:

• GRANKOR
    replied
    The later 70s aand early 80s Pros were very decent guitars

The Pro had P90s and the Deluxe had mini hbs..

That's a Pro Deluxe, not a Pro(fessional)

Leave a comment:

• metalheadUK
    replied
    I'm a LP guy, but having foolishly got rid of my '66 SG junior, which was THE nicest SG I have ever played, I have to say no.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X