Changing strat trem block - does it really make a difference?

danswon

• Members

Firsty, just wanted to say this is the first time I've posted in the new format. I hope people survived the changeover. This forum has been great before and I hope it can be great again

-----------------------------------------

Anyway, to those people that have changed the small alloy trem block found on many import strats and cheaper strat copies for full-sized brass/steel blocks, did you really truly notice a difference?

• Members

Floyd Rosenbomb wrote:

There is a change, that does not necessarily mean that it is better.

Also, the change is so small that it is really pretty irrelevant.

I've done both brass and steal from zinc.

I think it can make quite a difference but it does depend on what you are coming from.  While the sum is greater than the whole, it can't hurt to have a substantial block in there, especially if you have one of those old, thin, zinc ones which really do sound like shit.

• Members

Of course, it works, if you believe in mojo......

.f

Just teasing.  I'm sure it can make some amount of difference.  But, I'm skeptical that the improvement is as dramatic as some people claim based on my own limited experience swapping out trem units.

I suspect you would notice a MUCH larger difference if you installed a tremol-no.  With a tremol-no, you can quickly change a trem from fixed (locked) to floating, or dive-only.  When the tremol-no is in the locked position, the difference in tone and sustain is dramtically different from the floating position.

You leave the back cover plate off the guitar.  Then, you can quickly change the function of the trem on the fly.  The only thing you have to be carefu about is yanking on the trem arm when it's locked down.  If you yank it hard enough while it's locked, you can dent the inside of the tremol-no.  If that happens, it will need to be replaced to float properly.    

• Members

+ 1 on capacitors, and pot values too.  If you have a strat with dimarzios in it, I totally recommend giving 500k pots a try.  It does sounds more modern and you can still run close to a classic vibe if you want with the tone rolled down.  Dimarzio does recommend 500K pot for most of their singles. 

On another note.  I notice a difference in my tone with the back cover on or off. I think there is a little more body to the sound of the guitar with the back cover on.  This difference is in the ballpark of the change I perceived with the block swaps...I.E. small.

Lastly, have to agree with Jrock.  I've had big jumps in the quality of sound coming out of my strat by letting the bridge ride off the body vs. havening the springs pulling the trem down flush against the body.

Archived